Stranger's ‘rude’ remark at supermarket leaves mum stunned

Disclaimer: The name with an asterisk (*) has been changed to protect the person's privacy in this story.

Navigating the supermarket aisles with young children in tow can often feel like steering a ship through a storm. It could be a test of patience, resilience, and the ability to multitask under the watchful eyes of fellow shoppers.

For Lauren*, a mother of three, including a set of three-year-old twins, a routine grocery run turned into an unexpected encounter with a stranger.

Lauren*'s day had already been packed with the demands of parenting. After a visit to the doctor with her twins, she headed to the supermarket to stock up on essentials.

She had her youngest child strapped to her chest and the twins secured in the shopping cart as she wandered around the store.

But as any parent knows, the unpredictable nature of children can turn even the most mundane tasks into adventures.

Screenshot 2024-05-03 132542.png
Lauren* went with her children to the supermarket. Image source: Freepik

As they rounded the corner of an aisle, the twins' excitement bubbled over at the sight of a service dog.

‘Today was the first time my twins had ever seen a service dog,’ Lauren* shared.

‘My daughter, being a three-year-old who loves doggies, immediately shouted, “Puppy mummy! Puppy look!” and pointed towards the dog.’

Lauren* quickly guided her daughter to use her 'inside voice' and explained that the dog was working and should not be disturbed.

It was a teaching moment, one that Lauren* believed she handled with the finesse as a parent, instilling respect for the service animal while navigating her children's curiosity.

‘They are three, but did a really good job of respecting the dog's space,’ she said. ‘I was so proud,’ she said.

The twins remained quiet and respectful as they passed by the dog but they peppered her with questions, trying to understand the concept of a working dog, and even humorously labelled their own pet as 'lazy' for not having a job.

But that sense of accomplishment was short-lived. She turned around and saw a disapproving look from an older woman.

‘[She] told me my daughter was poorly behaved because she shouted when she saw the service dog,’ she said.

She added, ‘The older lady just looked at me and said that her kids never shouted in stores; they were always quiet or asleep.’

The encounter could have escalated, but Lauren* chose the high road. She said: ‘Maybe that lady had a stick up her b*** or something I thought they were being incredibly well-behaved sweet children today.’

She offered a polite 'Thank you, bye now,' and continued on her way.

The story, shared on social media, struck a chord with the online community. Support poured in for Lauren*, with comments ranging from empathetic to indignant.

Some suggested witty comebacks, while others shared their own experiences with judgmental strangers.

‘You're doing a great job, mama! Kudos to you for being able to walk away without a few choice words directed at the old hag,’ one person commented.

Another suggested: ‘Should have tapped the lady's shoulder and let her know she was poorly behaved because of her rude, unsolicited opinion.’

‘I genuinely think these sorts of older people forget what their kids were like,’ a third person remarked.

However unpleasant the woman's behaviour was, the real issue in the encounter was that the family dog was chronically unemployed.

‘I think you should get your lazy dog a job to set a good example for your children,’ someone pointed.

‘Now that they realise he should be working, he needs to step up,’ another added.
Key Takeaways
  • A mother with her three children, including three-year-old twins, was confronted by a stranger in a supermarket for her daughter's excited reaction to a service dog.
  • Lauren* handled the situation calmly, explaining to her toddlers the importance of not disturbing a working dog and was proud of their respectful behaviour.
  • The stranger criticised the mother, claiming her children never shouted in stores, to which the mother responded with a polite dismissal.
  • The online community supported the mother, with commenters criticising the stranger's unsolicited opinion and suggesting that the family dog should 'get a job', humorously addressing the twins' questions about working dogs.
What's your take on this supermarket showdown? Have you ever faced judgmental comments while out with your grandchildren or children? Share your stories and thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
Two examples of parenting gone wrong.

CASE 1 - I took my son for his 5th birthday party at South Nowra McDonalds with a group of his friends in 2002. Kids being kids, went straight to the playground before eating and celebrating. Some time later, my young fella comes running in from the playground, bawling like a banshee - he had fell over and grazed his knees. Some smartarse woman says "Serve yourself right you stupid little boy running like that!" Unbeknownst to her, i was standing within earshot and let loose in typical Veggie style. I said "Are you his mother? Well I don't remember f**king you, not that I would ever consider it. I'm his Dad!" She went to protest but had no comeback. Her hubby tried to crawl away into an imaginary corner!

CASE 2 - In Woolworths on Kinghorne Street, Nowra, there was a young mother trying to shop while severely affected by heroin. Her 3-4 year old son was running rampant through the aisles, screaming and pulling items off the shelves without any intervention from the mother. Junkie Mum makes her way to the checkout, on the nod. Darling son grabs a trolley and runs full speed to the Kinghorne Street exit, through the door and propels the trolley into traffic. Some poor old fella driving smashes into the trolley then hits two parked cars. All the while, the smack ridden gargoyle was oblivious to what unfolded.

Two examples of parenting gone wrong.

CASE 1 - I took my son for his 5th birthday party at South Nowra McDonalds with a group of his friends in 2002. Kids being kids, went straight to the playground before eating and celebrating. Some time later, my young fella comes running in from the playground, bawling like a banshee - he had fell over and grazed his knees. Some smartarse woman says "Serve yourself right you stupid little boy running like that!" Unbeknownst to her, i was standing within earshot and let loose in typical Veggie style. I said "Are you his mother? Well I don't remember f**king you, not that I would ever consider it. I'm his Dad!" She went to protest but had no comeback. Her hubby tried to crawl away into an imaginary corner!

CASE 2 - In Woolworths on Kinghorne Street, Nowra, there was a young mother trying to shop while severely affected by heroin. Her 3-4 year old son was running rampant through the aisles, screaming and pulling items off the shelves without any intervention from the mother. Junkie Mum makes her way to the checkout, on the nod. Darling son grabs a trolley and runs full speed to the Kinghorne Street exit, through the door and propels the trolley into traffic. Some poor old fella driving smashes into the trolley then hits two parked cars. All the while, the smack ridden gargoyle was oblivious to what unfolded.
I am sure on what emoji to use here. The first example made me smile and a little bit of a giggle even though I felt for the child, nothing worse that falling over on your birthday.

The second example made me so darn sad. As a former foster carer who has dealt with many children from this type of background it broke my heart.

[We fostered for 15 years, 10 of them were in a "group home" with up to 12 kids at a time emotionally the hardest for me was dealing with babies born to addicted mothers whether it be drugs or alcohol.]