Social media crackdown looms in one Aussie state—here's what you need to know

Social media has become deeply embedded in our daily lives, with around 20.80 million people in Australia actively using various social media platforms.

While this digital engagement fosters connectivity and shapes consumer behaviour, it also raises concerns about data privacy, mental health, and the spread of misinformation.

In a bold and unprecedented move, South Australia is poised to become the first state to impose a ban on social media usage for teenagers, a decision that has sparked a nationwide conversation about the impact of these platforms on the younger generation's mental health.

The state's Premier, Peter Malinauskas, has taken a firm stance on the issue, citing the need to protect the emotional and mental welfare of the younger generation from the potential dangers of social media, including bullying, exploitation, and exposure to inappropriate content.

The proposed legislation would prohibit those under 14 from using popular platforms such as Facebook, TikTok, and Instagram and require parental consent for those aged 14 and 15.

pexels-pixabay-533446.jpg
South Australia is considering a ban on social media for teenagers within the state. Image source: Pexels

The Premier said: ‘Like most parents, I am concerned about the impact social media is having on children in our community.’

‘I am determined to ensure as a government we are doing everything that we can to protect our children,’ he added.

This radical initiative has garnered support from figures like Independent Senator Jacqui Lambie, who has made a striking comparison between social media addiction and the use of an 'ice pipe'.

Lambie's comments reflect a growing concern over the addictive nature of these platforms and their potential to fuel violent and anti-social behaviour among the youth.

Studies have consistently linked excessive social media use to an increased risk of anxiety, depression, and other mental health issues, particularly in young people whose brains are still developing.

The South Australian government's decision is informed by such research, as well as disturbing trends that have emerged in schools across the country.

Incidents of 'lacking', where students perform degrading or explicit acts on each other and post them online, have raised alarms about the influence of social media on youth behaviour.

The eSafety Commissioner's report from last year, which received 2,383 reports of cyberbullying, with the majority involving children aged between 12 to 15, underscores the urgency of addressing this issue.

Premier Malinauskas describes the proposed ban as a ‘very significant and ambitious move to limit the harm of social media’ on the younger generation.

Former High Court Chief Justice Robert French AC has been appointed by the government to determine the best approach to enforcing the ban, although the implementation timeline has not been set yet.

It's important to note that social media apps like Facebook and Instagram already have age restrictions in place, requiring users to be at least 13 years old.

However, these rules are challenging to enforce, and the proposed legislation in South Australia would take these restrictions a step further.

The move by South Australia has drawn parallels with international efforts to protect children from the potential harms of social media.

For instance, the American state of Florida passed a bill in March that will make it illegal for children under the age of 14 to have a social media account.

As we watch South Australia take these bold steps, it begs the question: will other Australian states follow suit?

The conversation around social media regulation is gaining momentum, and it's clear that the well-being of the next generation is at the forefront of this debate.

You can watch the Premier’s announcement here:

Source: ABC News (Australia)/YouTube​

Key Takeaways

• South Australia is planning to ban social media for children under the age of 14 to protect their mental wellbeing.
  • The ban is aimed at addressing concerns over bullying and exploitation, as well as links to poor mental health like anxiety and depression.
  • There will also be a requirement for parental consent for social media use by children aged 14 and 15.
  • Independent Senator Jacqui Lambie supports the move, highlighting the negative effects of social media on young people's behaviour.
Members, we'd love to hear your thoughts on this issue. Do you believe that a social media ban is the right approach to safeguard your grandchildren’s mental health? Or do you think there are better ways to manage the risks associated with these platforms? Share your opinions in the comments below!

Sponsored
What a fantastic idea. Kids need to be protected from themselves. They don't seem to have the capacity to stop looking even when it is destructive to do so. If it is taken out of their hands, it could likely alleviate som serious problems

What a fantastic idea. Kids need to be protected from themselves. They don't seem to have the capacity to stop looking even when it is destructive to do so. If it is taken out of their hands, it could likely alleviate som serious problems
you could hope so but you can bet they'll start demanding to use their parents computers and silly parents will give in "because I love you".

I wonder what are the thoughts of the Sputh Australian Premier regarding children under 14 deciding that they want gender re-assignment...
My son is a teacher / vice principal he left one school that he was at 5 years ago due to needing to teach a kindergarten transgender child. This should be outlawed a child or an adolescent under 18 could not decide this. Especially a 5 years old

Last edited:
Why are parents not doing their job. As a country we are overregulated, we need to take responsibility for our own decision making. It shouldn't be up to the government, it's up to the parents to teach their children about life choices.

My son is a teacher / vice principal he left one school that he was at 5 years ago due to needing to teach a kindergarten transgender child. This should be outlawed a child or adult under 18 could not decide this. Especially a 5 years old
sadly Suzanne your son needs to learn and accept some facts about kids. There are actually children who KNOW they are in the wrong bodies. Little boys wanting to wear dresses, pretty shoes and play with dolls while little girls want cars, trucks and boy's clothes. These children go through enough in life without people treating them as freeks.

sadly Suzanne your son needs to learn and accept some facts about kids. There are actually children who KNOW they are in the wrong bodies. Little boys wanting to wear dresses, pretty shoes and play with dolls while little girls want cars, trucks and boy's clothes. These children go through enough in life without people treating them as freeks.
So instead we should treat them as experiments????
The latest trend seems to be it's cool to be gay, bi, trans etc.
It is a well-known fact that the brain isn't fully developed until into your early 20s and many of these children have regretted their much too young decision.
It appears your brain is taking even longer to develop if you think this is a decision a five year old is capable of making.

I know of one transgender person who is now 22 and has known his whole life that he was born the wrong gender. Knowing what he’s been through is heartbreaking.
A little acknowledgment can go a long way.

It is a well-known fact that the brain isn't fully developed until into your early 20s and many of these children have regretted their much too young decision.
It appears your brain is taking even longer to develop if you think this is a decision a five year old is capable of making.
When you've worked with as many kids as I have you may start to know what you're talking about. By the way there is no call for insults. I really thought you were a very nice person. Am I wrong?

I know of one transgender person who is now 22 and has known his whole life that he was born the wrong gender. Knowing what he’s been through is heartbreaking.
THANK YOU FOR THIS XXXX I sharefarmed with a female I worked with. My kids decided I must be gay AND I HAVEN'T SEEN THEM SINCE. I miss my kids, grandkids and great-grandkids but am not responsible for the warped ideas of their parents.

So since he was two or three he's known he was transgender, clever little fella.
Most of these young children have never even heard of this until some "adult" puts the idea in their head.
Two of our grandsons are gay, both say they were in their late teens/early twenties before they actually accepted this, one was even engaged and had been living with his girlfriend for three years.
The families are all accepting of this so it has nothing to do with any family pressure, etc.

Reactions: DLHM
It’s not a matter of making a decision. It’s more about feelings and they can be out of our control.
I don’t know of any true “non straight“ person who has chosen to be how they feel. Any person I’ve known has wished more than anything, they could be “normal” .

• Love
Reactions: TheBear and gamiry
THANK YOU FOR THIS XXXX I sharefarmed with a female I worked with. My kids decided I must be gay AND I HAVEN'T SEEN THEM SINCE. I miss my kids, grandkids and great-grandkids but am not responsible for the warped ideas of their parents.
Omg, how terribly devastating for you!! What a shame they couldn’t have inherited your way of thinking. Jumping to conclusions without a thought for the consequences is so destructive, as you well know @gamiry. 😥

• Sad
Reactions: Sockjoan
spe It’s not a matter of making a decision. It’s more about feelings and they can be out of our control.
I don’t know of any true “non straight“ person who has chosen to be how they feel. Any person I’ve known has wished more than anything, they could be “normal” .
Notice how many people attend Mardi Gra every year from all parts of the world and don't attendees and watchers look happy and it's so correct that most would love to change places with NORMAL people especially the fear they live with because of the idiots who believe in GAY BASHING.

Reactions: DLHM
Omg, how terribly devastating for you!! What a shame they couldn’t have inherited your way of thinking. Jumping to conclusions without a thought for the consequences is so destructive, as you well know @gamiry. 😥
Bless you my friend. This is the first time I've ever let so many know why my kids aren't with me. XXXX

• Sad
  • Love
Reactions: Sockjoan and DLHM