Shoppers left speechless after ‘nostalgic’ Woolworths photo

In a world where technology rapidly transforms our daily routines, looking back at old memories will immediately transport us to simpler times.

A recent photo brought social media users back in time.

It also reminded Aussies of how the advent of technology is slowly taking over.

The image taken from a Woolworths supermarket reveals a checkout area without a single self-serve register.

Captured at the Sunnybank store in Queensland, the rare sight sparked a wave of nostalgia and intense debate among Australians.

Captioned 'Woolies with no self-serve', the image shows a checkout area operated entirely by staff—a scene that is becoming increasingly uncommon in modern supermarkets.

compressed-woolies.jpeg
A nostalgic Woolworths store captured the attention of social media users. Image Credit: Reddit/ArenNerdy

The post quickly gained traction, with many expressing surprise and sharing their opinions on self-serve checkouts' presence (or absence).

For some, the image was a pleasant reminder of a simpler time when personal service was the norm and the pace of shopping was less hurried.

'Ah yes, back when Woolworths looked and felt the same as browsing through an IGA. Good times,' one commenter reminisced.

'I'll always avoid self-checkout but if I do have to use one I definitely get compensated handsomely for my efforts!' another commenter wrote.

'I don't work for free and especially when I'm paying a premium without the service I'm paying for.'

'I support self-serve checkouts in their infancy stage, but what we've got now? A bullpen covering half the entrance to the store full of scanners, no space to put trolleys or bags, constantly running into other "cattle" scanning their items,' a third lamented.

'I hate it more than anything else. I refuse to use them now.'

Discussions continued as some shoppers preferred the traditional checkout experience, citing the personal touch and the opportunity to interact with staff.

Others argued that self-serve checkouts offer convenience and accessibility.

'F*** that! I use a wheelchair, and self-serve makes shopping so much easier for me,' one commenter explained, highlighting its importance for those with mobility issues.

Despite the mixed reactions, the sign in the photo's background, stating 'Fresh new look coming soon,' suggested that Sunnybank Woolworths may soon join most of its counterparts in offering self-serve checkouts.

This potential change reflects a broader trend in the retail industry, where automation and self-service are becoming increasingly prevalent.

However, this shift has been subject to controversy.

Some shoppers feel that self-serve checkouts contribute to job losses and depersonalise the shopping experience.

In a previous article, Woolworths customers have exposed a flaw in these checkouts.

Since then, the supermarket giant has asserted that its stores perform weekly in-depth checks and daily testing on all checkout scales to ensure accuracy and compliance with strict regulations.

In contrast, others appreciate the speed and control they offer.
Key Takeaways

• A customer noticed that the Woolworths store in Sunnybank, Queensland, did not have self-serve checkouts.
  • The store displayed a sign indicating a 'Fresh new look coming soon,' suggesting potential changes, including the introduction of self-serve registers.
  • The absence of self-serve checkouts prompted a debate on social media about the advantages and disadvantages of this feature in supermarkets.
  • Many customers expressed strong opinions, some preferring traditional checkouts for better service and others approving self-serve options for speed and convenience.
Do you prefer manned checkouts over self-serve options? Have you found self-serve checkouts to be a help or a hindrance in your shopping experience? Share your thoughts and stories in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
The funny thing is, the 'debate' over self-serve checkouts actually echoes the debate in the 1970's over self-serve racks of products that you had to pick n' load into trolleys yourself. My first job as a young teen was at Woolworths in the late 1960's. Back then, you had aisles with staffed counters where you could pick what you want, the staff would then pack the product paper bags in the quantity requested, and you paid at the counter. Checkouts didn't exist at all. So when they were first introduced, the same objections arose as they do now; the lack of personal service, lower staff numbers, having to do the work yourself that the store should be doing, etc. People were picketing outside supermarkets objecting to the very idea of checkouts over personal service counters. Times are constantly changing, and self-serve checkouts is just the latest 'convenience' ahead of becoming a cashless/staffless society. The Woolworths I worked at looked pretty much like this: winchester-woolworths-1957.jpginside-a-woolworths-store-during-the-1960s-cardiff-england-DW8HE9.jpg