Shoppers concerned over ‘feathered friend’ inside Bunnings store

When you think of Bunnings Warehouse, you might think of the aisles of home improvement treasures and the friendly staff in red shirts and green aprons.

It's a place where DIY dreams come true and weekend projects are born.

However, a recent incident at the Tarneit store in Melbourne's west has added an unexpected twist to the usual Bunnings narrative.

A concerned customer recently spotted a barn owl flapping above their heads, trapped within the vast expanse of the store's roof.

The owl, seemingly unable to find an exit, has become a concern and curiosity among shoppers and staff alike.

Screenshot 2024-05-15 at 10.33.02 AM.png
A barn owl was trapped within Bunnings store’s roof. Credit: Facebook

Staff at the Tarneit Bunnings are monitoring the situation closely and are in discussions with multiple wildlife organisations to ensure the safe rescue and relocation of the owl.

This isn't the first time a bird of prey has found itself lost in a warehouse, and according to one rescuer, it's a more common occurrence than one might think.

Nigel Williamson, a wildlife rescuer with 38 years of experience, has removed 'dozens' of owls from warehouses.

‘When the ravens are nesting and they've got eggs and chicks in their nest, the owls like to come along and pinch them,’ he explained.

‘When a raven spots an owl in a tree anywhere near its nest, it will then start chasing it, and the barn owls go into the warehouse for safety.’

The rescue of these disoriented birds can be quite a challenge.

Options range from waiting for the owl to find its way out to using an elevated platform and a large net or even removing a section of the roof to provide an escape route.

However, Williamson suggested a more proactive approach.

‘They could implement a design into the roof area which they could open up a section and all these birds could get out quite easily,’ he said.

Bunnings has confirmed that their staff are keeping a 'close eye' on their feathered visitor and are working with local animal welfare groups to ensure a safe relocation.

‘The team in our Tarneit store has been joined by a feathered friend that’s made its way into the store in recent days. They’re engaging with local animal welfare groups to ensure the owl can be safely relocated,’ a Bunnings spokesperson said.

Speaking of wildlife, another Bunnings store experienced the same incident, causing a scene to many.

In a previous story, a nearly metre-long red-bellied black snake, a venomous species native to Australia, was found nestled among the pallets of plant soil inside a Bunnings store. You can read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways

• A barn owl was spotted flapping inside the Bunnings Tarneit store in Melbourne's west, causing concern for its welfare among shoppers and staff.
  • The owl is currently stuck in the store, with efforts underway to safely rescue and relocate the bird by engaging with wildlife organisations.
  • Rescuer Nigel Williamson suggested that Bunnings could incorporate a specific design into their roof to allow trapped birds to escape more easily in the future.
  • Bunnings has confirmed that staff are closely monitoring the barn owl and are working with animal welfare groups to facilitate its safe relocation.
Have you ever encountered an animal lurking or trapped at your local store or home? Share your stories with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Seriously how expensive would that be to put in a roof which opens.

Often we have seen birds flying around in the food court in Roselands.

My daughter had a bird flying around the McDonald's store that she is a manager at.

Birds will find ways in and it's ridiculous saying to add roofs which open

Seriously how expensive would that be to put in a roof which opens.

Often we have seen birds flying around in the food court in Roselands.

My daughter had a bird flying around the McDonald's store that she is a manager at.

Birds will find ways in and it's ridiculous saying to add roofs which open
Is the Food Court at Roselands still on the bottom floor? It used to be known as Four Corners.

Reactions: Gsr
Is the Food Court at Roselands still on the bottom floor? It used to be known as Four Corners.
No hasn't been for years. It's now on the top floor with glass ceilings.

How good was it when it was on the lower ground floor. Plenty of variety. I was only telling my daughters only the other day, how on the lower ground there was a franklin's story. I worked at the Darrell Lea store with big bow and all

Last edited:
Reactions: DLHM and Gsr
Here's a blast from the past; I can remember when dad went to the local ironmongers to buy a lb of nails (16 ounces, or 1/14th of a stone) in a brown paper bag, the nails having been made in England, not PR China.

I was sitting in the food section at Bunnings and saw all different birds on the rafters at Bunnings and wondering where the droppings were going , surely they can secure their buildings properly

Reactions: Suzanne rose
Our Bunnings has a variety of birds come and go in the store. They sometimes poop on the goods or floor. Because Bunnings have an open nursery area one end and an open trade area the other end, and a usually open door main entrance the birds come in and out all the time. They sometimes nest in the rafters in the nursery end of our store. There is no way to stop them from doing this.

Does Australia have ravens?
According to google
"Australian Ravens are found across the eastern half of Australia, from just below Cape York in Queensland down to Victoria and southern South Australia.
A sub-species population occupies the isolated south-west of Western Australia."
1715846962374.jpeg

I grew up in Allawah but I have chatted to you before. I told you about the penny throw at Ramsgate baths and the apple fritters we used to buy there. I often went to Roselands.