SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
M

Maddison Dwyer

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 20, 2021
Shocking new Australia Post scam: Sydney man urgently warns fellow Aussies

As many of our Seniors Discount Club members rely on Australia Post for their mail deliveries, we thought it pertinent to send out a vital warning: Be cautious of a recent online Australia Post scam aiming to con our hardworking Aussies out of their precious savings.

Australia Post customers are being cautioned about a sly trick in which scammers pretend to be the delivery company, seeking to steal personal information and your hard-earned money.
A popular Australian social media user, who goes by the handle @asaptuppy, sounded the alarm after he narrowly escaped the clutches of this phishing attack himself.

Screenshot 2023-05-29 at 2.08.06 pm.png
The video shows how legitimate the fake Australia Post website looks. Image source: TikTok/@asaptuppy.

The malicious scammers impersonate Australia Post via text message, which reads: 'AusPost: Delivery attempted on 22/5; track your package at www.auspost-shipment.life to reschedule.’

Opening the link directs the unsuspecting victim to a phishing page that is alarmingly similar to Australia Post’s official tracking website. This sham of a website then prompts users to part with their credit card details to receive their awaited parcel.

Thankfully, social media user @asaptuppy had the forethought and time to verify the message with Australia Post, thwarting the scam in his case.

'When I rang (Australia Post) the lady, she told me that she had already received several phone calls about it.

'If I didn't have the day off to check, I would literally have an empty bank account.’

'Stay vigilant, everyone. They are getting smart. Question everything.'

He showed in his video that the email has all the drop-down menus and tick boxes that mimic the tracking site. 'Hats off to them. It's on the money,' he said.

'They really nailed this one 10/10.’

Experts from the email security organisation MailGuard said: 'The email itself heavily uses Australia Post's branding, and aside from a few grammatical errors in the text, it is hard to distinguish it from a genuine email.’

1685334762363.png
The email is extremely convincing and looks awfully similar to the normal emails you would receive from Australia Post. Image source: MailGuard.

According to MailGuard, the scam works by a victim receiving a text/email from an account impersonating the delivery giant's customer service team claiming the package is 'on hold', and the customer must pay a small fee to release the package.

Alongside the text message, some Aussies are receiving a similar email from scammers pretending to be Australia Post.

'The email itself heavily uses Australia Post's branding, and aside from a few grammatical errors in the text, it is hard to distinguish it from a genuine email,' cybersecurity software provider MailGuard said.

‘The email claims the customer's package is on hold, and they need to pay a $3 fee to redirect it to their address. If the recipient clicks on the pay the fee button, they're taken to a phishing page.’

MailGuard warns that other than some grammatical errors in fine print, the site is very advanced, and the differences between the official Australia Post website and the phishing site would easily be overlooked.

1685334762374.png
The fake Australia Post email takes you to a very convincing website to put in your card details. Image source: MailGuard.

The victim is even asked to verify their address and supply personal information, which would then be harvested, including the credit card details entered to make the payment. They can then even be instructed to enter a one-time code sent to their mobile, a seemingly harmless move but something that would allow cybercriminals to verify the authenticity of the card details which they have stolen.

To help our members stay safe from such instances, here are a few tips to protect yourself from online scams.

1. Verify the sender: Always double-check the email address or phone number of the sender to ensure it's from a trusted source.
  2. Don't click on unfamiliar links: Avoid clicking on links or downloading attachments from unknown sources, as they might lead to dangerous phishing websites or install malicious software on your device.
  3. Keep your devices updated: Regular software updates are essential for protecting against scammers exploiting vulnerabilities in outdated devices.
  4. Consult with a trusted friend, family member or visit the Australian government's Scam Watch website: If you're in doubt, consult someone you trust to get a second opinion before taking any action.

Key Takeaways
  • Australia Post customers are being warned of a scam where scammers pose as the delivery company to steal personal information and money.
  • Australian social media user @asaptuppy raised the alert after nearly falling victim to the phishing attack, which involves an imitation Australia Post text message and website.
  • The fake website prompts victims to provide their credit card details to receive their package.
  • Australia Post stated it would never request payments or personal information over the phone, through text, or by email, and customers should be cautious of suspicious messages.

Have you received this fake Australia Post text message or email? If so, did you know it was fake, or did you have to further investigate it? We want to read your thoughts and opinions in the comments below! And remember, if you ever come across a scam, report it to the government’s Scam Watch website here and let our members know it is circulating in our Scam Watch forum here.

As many of our Seniors Discount Club members rely on Australia Post for their mail deliveries, we thought it pertinent to send out a vital warning: Be cautious of a recent online Australia Post scam aiming to con our hardworking Aussies out of their precious savings.

Australia Post customers are being cautioned about a sly trick in which scammers pretend to be the delivery company, seeking to steal personal information and your hard-earned money.
A popular Australian social media user, who goes by the handle @asaptuppy, sounded the alarm after he narrowly escaped the clutches of this phishing attack himself.

View attachment 20911
The video shows how legitimate the fake Australia Post website looks. Image source: TikTok/@asaptuppy.

The malicious scammers impersonate Australia Post via text message, which reads: 'AusPost: Delivery attempted on 22/5; track your package at www.auspost-shipment.life to reschedule.’

Opening the link directs the unsuspecting victim to a phishing page that is alarmingly similar to Australia Post’s official tracking website. This sham of a website then prompts users to part with their credit card details to receive their awaited parcel.

Thankfully, social media user @asaptuppy had the forethought and time to verify the message with Australia Post, thwarting the scam in his case.

'When I rang (Australia Post) the lady, she told me that she had already received several phone calls about it.

'If I didn't have the day off to check, I would literally have an empty bank account.’

He showed in his video that the email has all the drop-down menus and tick boxes that mimic the tracking site. 'Hats off to them. It's on the money,' he said.

Experts from the email security organisation MailGuard said: 'The email itself heavily uses Australia Post's branding, and aside from a few grammatical errors in the text, it is hard to distinguish it from a genuine email.’

View attachment 20908
The email is extremely convincing and looks awfully similar to the normal emails you would receive from Australia Post. Image source: MailGuard.

According to MailGuard, the scam works by a victim receiving a text/email from an account impersonating the delivery giant's customer service team claiming the package is 'on hold', and the customer must pay a small fee to release the package.

Alongside the text message, some Aussies are receiving a similar email from scammers pretending to be Australia Post.

'The email itself heavily uses Australia Post's branding, and aside from a few grammatical errors in the text, it is hard to distinguish it from a genuine email,' cybersecurity software provider MailGuard said.

‘The email claims the customer's package is on hold, and they need to pay a $3 fee to redirect it to their address. If the recipient clicks on the pay the fee button, they're taken to a phishing page.’

MailGuard warns that other than some grammatical errors in fine print, the site is very advanced, and the differences between the official Australia Post website and the phishing site would easily be overlooked.

View attachment 20909
The fake Australia Post email takes you to a very convincing website to put in your card details. Image source: MailGuard.

The victim is even asked to verify their address and supply personal information, which would then be harvested, including the credit card details entered to make the payment. They can then even be instructed to enter a one-time code sent to their mobile, a seemingly harmless move but something that would allow cybercriminals to verify the authenticity of the card details which they have stolen.

To help our members stay safe from such instances, here are a few tips to protect yourself from online scams.

1. Verify the sender: Always double-check the email address or phone number of the sender to ensure it's from a trusted source.
  2. Don't click on unfamiliar links: Avoid clicking on links or downloading attachments from unknown sources, as they might lead to dangerous phishing websites or install malicious software on your device.
  3. Keep your devices updated: Regular software updates are essential for protecting against scammers exploiting vulnerabilities in outdated devices.
  4. Consult with a trusted friend, family member or visit the Australian government's Scam Watch website: If you're in doubt, consult someone you trust to get a second opinion before taking any action.

Key Takeaways

• Australia Post customers are being warned of a scam where scammers pose as the delivery company to steal personal information and money.
  • Australian social media user @asaptuppy raised the alert after nearly falling victim to the phishing attack, which involves an imitation Australia Post text message and website.
  • The fake website prompts victims to provide their credit card details to receive their package.
  • Australia Post stated it would never request payments or personal information over the phone, through text, or by email, and customers should be cautious of suspicious messages.

Have you received this fake Australia Post text message or email? If so, did you know it was fake, or did you have to further investigate it? We want to read your thoughts and opinions in the comments below! And remember, if you ever come across a scam, report it to the government’s Scam Watch website here and let our members know it is circulating in our Scam Watch forum here.
I have downloaded the Australia Post app as I buy on line a fair bit. When I get a message from Aus Post (or these despicable scammers) I always check the app. I’ve had three scammers texts that I’ve been able to delete immediately. This has worked brilliantly for me so far.

Unfortunately these type of posts have been popping up for some time. The easiest way to identify them is to check the email address on the incoming mail. Over the last seven or eight months I have received more of these than I care to remember. Checking that email address highlightd early the discrepancy.

I have had several of these. If you are unsure, you can check the tracking number on the PO app or on the PO website on your computer, and it will come up "Unable to Fund" I also BLOCK the number, rather than just delete it.

I have signed up with Australia Post online and get my updates by logging in. I get the texts from Aus Post when the parcel is being delivered but would never click on any links.

View attachment 20911

View attachment 20908

View attachment 20909

Key Takeaways

Surely the bad spelling mistakes would be enough for you to know it is a scam!!! Incredible!

I get these emails all the time. Because it is extremely rate that I buy something online, I know from the outset that the email is a scam and block sender without opening it.

Yes, spelling mistakes are a good give away, so is a request for money, no matter how small the sum

I have had this happen to me also. I have a tip or 2. Downloaded Austpost app. All legitimate deliveries are there. Track in diary, yes, pen and paper! Every item that you’ve ordered, and delivery date. Never respond to a text, email is safer. I am afraid that technology may not be safe enough with text messages. Back up everything you purchased online, by diary. Check it off when delivered. The good old fashioned post office box is a great investment. Share the cost with a trusted friend or neighbour, and you will be surprised that it costs about 50 cents per day. I now trust my instincts with Austpost. They really do a great job. The other advantage of post office boxes, is that you can easily collect before 0am daily, and don’t have to fear home delivery concerns. It’s a great “ insurance “ tip for your delivery. Click and collect is safe also. K-hub accepts click and collect from Target and Catch, and probably a few other retailers linked to Coles Myer stores. A lesson learned. Post office box for 50 cents a day, or click and collect is the safest way to go! Another lesson learned, is that a retailer will never phone or text you, EVER! I was scammed out of $5,000 from someone posing as Amazon. As I was a good customer, I trusted the caller. Never accept a call or text from a retailer. They only email you. A retailer will never, ever call or text!!!!!!!! No exceptions at all. Westpac were wonderful, and they returned the money to me. There scams are so rampant, that the bank has a whole scam and fraud department! I don’t want my health to be compromised again because of scammers and fraud! Please spread the word about my tips. I now sleep a lot better, since the post office box investment, click and collect, Austpost app, and never accepting a call from an unknown person. Have a safe, smart day. Acknowledging my post , I am confident that many of our members, will sleep better. Kindest regards, and much gratitude for your forum. Since you started the S.D.C. I can’t wait every day, and afternoon also. You have helped so many people, you deserve a medal 🏅. Sincerely, Gezabel.

I received a scam text pretending to be Australia Post. There were no grammatical errors- the content was very believable, however 2 little things tipped me off.
1) I keep all my texts from Aus Post and they always come on the same thread - this one did not!
2) it referred to AuPost instead of AusPost, easy to miss
Hope it helps someone avoid losing money

I received a scam text pretending to be Australia Post. There were no grammatical errors- the content was very believable, however 2 little things tipped me off.
1) I keep all my texts from Aus Post and they always come on the same thread - this one did not!
2) it referred to AuPost instead of AusPost, easy to miss
Hope it helps someone avoid losing money
Also look at the domain address - .life - this is a dead give away

View attachment 20911

View attachment 20908

View attachment 20909

Key Takeaways

the wording and the spelling is a dead give away.

View attachment 20911

View attachment 20908

View attachment 20909

Key Takeaways

I never click on links in emails or messages. I always go to the App or Web page of the relevant company to check there. Even if I think the link may be genuine, I still check. You can often tell from the web address also, many of them are really dodgy!

View attachment 20911

View attachment 20908

View attachment 20909

Key Takeaways

I received the exact same text yesterday and as we are actually expecting a delivery and being super sceptical now of all emails and texts, I checked into it further and determined it was a scam . My mantra is research, research, research.

On the topic of posting , I've had 3 deliveries from couriers please in the last 2 weeks saying I wasn't home at around 7.10am. I thought this was strange as I was in my front room watching TV.
This morning I heard my gate and got up and looked out the window to see the delivery guy standing just inside my gate writing something down...HE NEVER KNOCKED.
I went after him as he stopped 4 doors down , got out of his van , stood at the fence and wrote something down , again he never went in or knocked .
I got my parcel off him and asked why he never knocked , he tried to say he went around to the back door but he straight out lied. Hubby was around there and seriously I looked straight out when the gate opened

Why would he not knock when he is already there ?