Protect your iPhone from thieves immediately with this one simple setting

As we continue to store more of our personal lives on our smartphones, the thought of losing them to theft becomes increasingly distressing.

For many of us, our iPhones are not just phones; they are our photo albums, our address books, our personal assistants, and even our wallets.

That's why Apple's latest security update is something all iPhone users should be aware of and act upon immediately.

The new feature, introduced in iOS 17.3, is called Stolen Device Protection, and it's a game-changer for iPhone security.

It's designed to make your device significantly less attractive to thieves and protect your data if your phone does fall into the wrong hands.

Here's what you need to know to take advantage of this new security measure:

shutterstock_2366197445.jpg
Apple released a new feature to protect our security and prevent our iPhones from being stolen. Credit: Shutterstock

1. Update your iPhone to iOS 17.3. This is crucial as the feature is only available in this latest update. To check if you have the latest version, go to Settings > General > Software Update.
  2. Once updated, navigate to Settings > Face ID & Passcode. You'll be prompted to enter your passcode to access these settings.
  3. Look for the option labelled 'Stolen Device Protection' and toggle it on. This will activate the new security features.
When Stolen Device Protection is enabled, your iPhone will require a successful Face ID or Touch ID verification before anyone can access your Apple Wallet and stored passcodes.

This means that even if a thief manages to get into your phone, they won't be able to make payments or access sensitive information without your unique biometric data.

Moreover, if your iPhone detects that it's in an unusual location, it will initiate an hour-long delay for any attempts to reset the passcode.

This gives you extra time to report the device as stolen and secure your Apple account.

In the unfortunate event that someone tries to wipe your device clean to sell it, they'll hit a wall.

The phone will not allow a factory reset without the necessary Face ID or Touch ID verification, thanks to the Stolen Device Protection feature.

An Apple spokesperson has highlighted the importance of this feature, stating, 'In the event that your iPhone is stolen, the security delay is designed to prevent a thief from performing critical operations so that you can mark your device as lost and make sure your Apple account is secure.'

This update is a significant step forward in smartphone security, making it less appealing for thieves to target iPhones.

However, it's also essential to remember the other security measures at your disposal. For instance, regularly updating and 'expiring' old passwords can prevent someone who has been eyeing your phone from gaining access if they already know your current passcodes.

While updating your security settings, it's also a good time to review what's running in the background on your phone.

Some apps and features can drain your battery life, so take a moment to optimise your settings for better performance.
Key Takeaways

• Apple has introduced a new security feature called Stolen Device Protection in iOS 17.3 to help protect against data misuse if your iPhone is stolen.
  • To activate the feature, iPhone users must update to iOS 17.3 and enable it in the 'Face ID & Passcode' settings.
  • Once enabled, the feature requires a successful face or fingerprint ID check to access stored wallet and passcodes and delays passcode reset attempts.
  • The Apple spokesperson highlighted that this security delay prevents a thief from performing critical operations, allowing the user time to mark their device as lost and secure their Apple account.
Have you already updated your iPhone with this new security feature? Or do you have other tips for keeping your smartphone safe from thieves? Share your thoughts and experiences with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
So, all I've got do to take advantage of this feature is to allow iPhone, to take advantage of me in the purchase of a very overpriced new phone, (that when I buy it new is already obsolete?)
You basically got that right..... like new car you lose 50% the moment you drive it out of the showroom....

Reactions: Veggiepatch
I got my iPhone on Flybuys. I don't see what all the fuss is. If you don't want to spend thousands of dollars on a 'phone, it may surprise you that you don't have to!! Wow!

But if you do, stop bleating about the misfortune OF YOUR OWN MAKING to the rest of the world.

Simples!

So, all I've got do to take advantage of this feature is to allow iPhone, to take advantage of me in the purchase of a very overpriced new phone, (that when I buy it new is already obsolete?)
So, do you have any suggestions on buying a better phone than the iPhone?

I thought that the Android based Samsung more hackable and less secure than the iPhone?
As with any phone... it's how you use it.
I don't answer any call unless the number is displayed, or it is on my contact list.
I don't have any app attached to my phone. So far in 18 years I haven't been hacked.

Reactions: Scaveola and SandyM
What if one on your contact list is a hacker? Or you're sent an email from one of your friends who's been hacked?

Reactions: IAN3005
But we're not all as clever as you, so we rely on a less hackable phone.
No, it's not that I am clever... far from it..... it's jus that I look into the future and know what is happening... all not good.

• Haha
Reactions: Greg350
I thought that the Android based Samsung more hackable and less secure than the iPhone?
How many people have their actual phone hacked? Everyone whinges about hacking, but the vast majority, if not all, of hacking happens with the computer at the business/company/organisation.

Phones, if you are using all the security, are extremely hard to get into. The FBI couldn't access an iPhone, they had to consult with Apple directly who didn't want to do it anyway.

There is so much misinformation out there, with over 24 million mobile phones in use across Australia the number of hackings that go on is infinitesimal. I'm talking about actually being able to get past your phone security and into the phone. NOT talking about scammers who send SMS, emails, etc to trick you into giving them access.

So, do you have any suggestions on buying a better phone than the iPhone?
Any Android phone is much better and always has been, but Apple has always had the better publicity so people have thought they've always had something special.

For years people have been saying they've got an iPhone as if it was some sort of status symbol. Those phones are always good for people who don't want to be technical and just have whatever Apple say they can have.
I prefer having more control of my phone and download whatever app I decide I want.

Reactions: 52-KID and Greg350
Any Android phone is much better and always has been, but Apple has always had the better publicity so people have thought they've always had something special.

For years people have been saying they've got an iPhone as if it was some sort of status symbol. Those phones are always good for people who don't want to be technical and just have whatever Apple say they can have.
I prefer having more control of my phone and download whatever app I decide I want.
Exactly, Apple have great marketing, they have made their products a status symbol. They work good generally and seem well made but have some quirks to them and most Apply products are not as intuitive as other's, hence all the Apply shops are always full of people learning how to do things with their products.

Reactions: 52-KID and freedy50
Generally, systems like Android which has many user companies (like Google Pixel, OnePlus, Samsung, etc.) with each company making modifications to the basic Operating System, don't operate as well as Apple devices where everything is designed to fit well together. For example, I've read that there have been more malicious apps in the official Android App store than in the Apple App store.