Pro-cash movement calls for nationwide boycott of Coles and Woolworths

In an era where digital transactions are becoming the norm, a significant movement is rising from the shadows, advocating for the preservation of a more traditional method of payment: cash.

This movement, with a strong online presence and a community of over 50,000 members, is calling for a nationwide boycott of supermarket behemoths Coles and Woolworths.

But why, you might ask, are these pro-cash advocates taking such a stand?

The group, known as Call out Cashless Businesses, is urging Australians to take their business elsewhere, specifically to family-owned stores, in protest against what they perceive as an encroachment on consumer choice and autonomy.

The boycott, announced on May 4, is not just a fleeting moment of consumer activism; it's a statement against the increasing shift towards a cashless society that these advocates labelled ‘financial fascism’.

photo.jpg
The Call out Cashless Businesses group urged a boycott of Coles and Woolworths over their payment policies. Credits: Shutterstock

The sentiment among the group's members is strong.

Supporters viewed the boycott as ‘important’, demonstrating that they ‘won’t be controlled’, while many commenters stated that they already avoided major chains on a daily basis.

‘I prefer to shop at Drakes, IGA, and Foodland in South Australia. No self-serve with these supermarkets. They create jobs for the community,’ one member shared.

‘I don’t shop at either anyway (unless an emergency) so the 4th is just another day. Started my own personal protest against them years ago,’ another commented.

The pro-cash movement's concerns extend beyond a preference for physical currency.

They touch on broader issues such as job preservation, support for local farmers, and resistance to what they see as large corporations' overreach.

The criticism of Coles and Woolworths intensified late last year when Woolworths announced a reduction in the amount of cash customers could withdraw, along with the requirement of a purchase to do so.

This movement isn't isolated to supermarkets alone.

A variety of businesses, from banks to amusement parks and restaurant chains, have felt the heat from the pro-cash community.

For instance, Nando's faced backlash after a cheeky announcement about going cashless, and Macquarie Bank's decision to eliminate cash services was met with similar disapproval.
Key Takeaways

• A group of pro-cash advocates called for a boycott of Coles and Woolworths due to their payment policies.
  • The Call out Cashless Businesses group, which has over 50,000 members on social media, encouraged Australians to support family businesses instead.
  • The community voiced its opposition to the increasing prioritisation of automation and cashless payments, describing it as 'financial fascism'.
  • Both Coles and Woolworths, along with other businesses, have seen criticism for policies perceived as moving away from cash transactions.
What are your thoughts on this cash versus cashless debate? Have you felt pressured to abandon cash at your local supermarkets? Do you support the boycott of Coles and Woolworths, or do you see the shift towards cashless payments as an inevitable part of progress?

Share your experiences and opinions in the comments below.

Sponsored
Don't tear Halal stuff off the shelves.... merely put a pork product in with the Halal merchandise..... this means that the entire contents of the display become non-Halal and the area requires a thorough cleansing and the Halal product replaced..
I considered doing that at the Dandenong Plaza Coles with a leg of Christmas ham. The strange thing is the chilled Halal meat display is RIGHT next to the processed ham, salami and proscuitto display!

Reactions: IAN3005
I truely believe that if you shop exclusively at Coles or Woolworths you have money to burn and in my opinion you are a fool. It's always don't have time but remember busy people are successful people. Our last shop spent $480. If purchased all at the two major supermarkets would of cost an extra $160. If you are chasing the rewards go for it but it's totally waste of money

• Haha
Reactions: siameezer
I am 84 years of age a dinosaur in today's society. And fortunate to make it to such an age.
I don't do self-service or pay with a debit/credit card when shopping in support of a cashless world.
I do cash pay, have control of my spending, and avoid shopping at Coles and Woolworths if possible.
I do most shopping at Aldi and Beckley's market for fresh produce or any vegetable/fruit market.
And whatever I can grow in my vegetable garden with chicken manure comes out pretty tasty and fresh.
The exercise keeps me reasonably fit and supplies me and my family/neighbors with fresh produce.
I get ample fresh eggs in return from my neighbors creating a good relationship. It works fine.
I always know how much is in my wallet and how much goes out of it without paying fees.
Howzat??

Sorry mucked that up. Meant to say only other place to shop is IGA. They are a bit more expensive though and hard to find a park. Will be glad when they open their new store.

Reactions: paulamc52
THE BEST WAY TO SHOW YOUR DISPLEASURE ABOUT GOING CASHLESS IS TO FILL YOUR TROLLEY UP WITH GROCERIES AND UNLOAD THEM AT THE CASH REGISTER AND IF THEY TELL YOU THAT THEY DO NOT ACCEPT CASH, THEN WALK AWAY AND LEAVE YOU GROCERIES BEHIND ON THE COUNTER.

Us too! Coles & WW claim no one loses their jobs, but the ex-cashiers are now filling the shelves during the day - putting the night fillers out of work !
No, the staff have been redeployed into doing the online orders for those of us who cannot physically attend a store.

I truely believe that if you shop exclusively at Coles or Woolworths you have money to burn and in my opinion you are a fool. It's always don't have time but remember busy people are successful people. Our last shop spent $480. If purchased all at the two major supermarkets would of cost an extra $160. If you are chasing the rewards go for it but it's totally waste of money
Very narrow-minded. People who have mobility issues have no choice when shopping online but to use the two major supermarkets. To say we have money to burn is totally ridiculous.

Reactions: paulamc52 and Rob44
Just an added complaint, 28 Feb I bought a pack of Woolworths 10 choc icecream on a stick for $4.20. Unavailable for weeks now but suddenly in different packaging you can buy 4 choc icecream on a stick for $5 & pack of 10 is still unavailable.

THE BEST WAY TO SHOW YOUR DISPLEASURE ABOUT GOING CASHLESS IS TO FILL YOUR TROLLEY UP WITH GROCERIES AND UNLOAD THEM AT THE CASH REGISTER AND IF THEY TELL YOU THAT THEY DO NOT ACCEPT CASH, THEN WALK AWAY AND LEAVE YOU GROCERIES BEHIND ON THE COUNTER.
What a vile, selfish and nasty thing to do! What do you think happens to that food? It is THROWN AWAY if there are any meat, dairy, frozen or other perishable items in there. Who do you think pays for that waste? WE do with increased prices!!!! Glad to see you outed yourself as someone who is fine with wasting a precious resource like food and who is happy with your part in increasing grocery prices!

Reactions: Knell
The more card transactions the more money the banks make. More money for doing less. Banks have become the biggest scammers of all and the government doesn't do a bloody thing about it. Shopping at Foodland and IGA will not save you money or change anything.

Still a cash man, can list at least 14 shops I have stopped buying from since they went 'card only.' have also cancelled the emails I use to get from them and told them why.... response from a few of them was..'you will soon have no choice but to get a card', was the arrogant reply. I have noticed that there were not many local small shops in my area, some of which have already closed, no doubt from not being able to compete with the 'big bullies'. Banks are the driving force behind this 'cash-less' society, their bottom line is greatly increased... closing agencies (no rent to pay), less staff, (wages cut, super cut, sick-leave/holiday leave/maternity leave/work related injury payments are all greatly reduced.. 'CUSTOMER SERVICE' are two words that will disappear from use in the business world.. Jobs will also decline, you only have to look at how many staff are on duty in the supermarkets. Those that are, are also stacking shelves, changing price dockets, mopping floors whilst customers are lining up at 1-2 check-outs, or standing in a queue waiting for the 'robot check-outs'... What I am wondering is, if all those who are 'card happy' are keeping a total of the 'fees' that are added onto every card transaction, remember Banks can ramp up their fee charges any time they like, which then flows down the system eventually ending in the customers pocket, where more money is being taken out for no other reason than to increase someone's bottom line. As for changing Banks, something that is frequently stated by Politicians to get a better deal, forget it, the CEO's meet regularly over lunch/dinner and discuss how they can 'stick-it to customers.' How do they get away with it you ask... not one person was, within the Banking system, charged as a result of the Royal Commission even though there were numerous counts of fraud, obtain a financial advantage by deception, none were taken out against anybody. Sure, fines were issued for breaking financial ethics and these were paid however, Banks soon recouped these by increasing costs, reducing interest rates and 'other legal non-descript methods.
The banks are profiting but the main driver is the government and specifically the ATO
No cash economy = total control!
Also why they don’t want us to have private farms anymore - tell us that cows fart so we can’t have them polluting the atmosphere and contributing to climate change - while they back the production of fake protein made in laboratories
Once you have control of the money and food supply of the people, they have no power and you can freeze their funds and cut off their food supply at will!
Not for this little black duck 🦆 I will support farmer’s markets and small businesses and pay cash wherever I can!

Of course Cash is King, but, some may make a case for applying a fee for using Cash as payment. They could present the cost of Printing notes,Stamping Coins, transfer to the Reserve Bank for distribution to Banks, storage at Banks, distribution to Customers, ordering, holding and pay out at Merchants and Insurance of most of the above. However, convenience does NOT have a value.

Reactions: Rob44 and paulamc52
Australia can't go cashless. The so-called "black economy" is said to be about 10% of economic activity in most countries. Every time you pay cash for a service such as a cleaner or plumber, you are participating in the black economy, outside the eye of the ATO here. When was the last time you heard from a cleaner or their customer about paying for the service by credit card or cheque? For me the answer is "never". The fact that it is illegal doesn't seem to worry those involved. It's in the same class as finding the driver who has never broken the speed limit.
David