Parcel theft epidemic: Australia Post urges vigilance amid growing concerns

In a world where online shopping has become the norm, the convenience of having parcels delivered to our doorsteps is one of the modern luxuries many of us have come to appreciate.

However, this convenience has also given rise to a new kind of opportunistic crime that is causing concern across the nation.

Australia Post is now sounding the alarm, urging residents to stay vigilant after a spate of parcel thefts has been captured on home security systems.

Just this week, two separate incidents in Sydney have highlighted the growing issue.

In Manly, a resident's security camera caught a thief in the act of stealing not one but three parcels right from their front gate.

The following day, a Stanmore local found her parcel had been pilfered, its contents rummaged through and the empty box ‘dumped’ behind her house.

Both residents were surprised by the ‘brazen’ and ‘opportunistic’ actions, prompting Australia Post to encourage individuals to report such criminal behaviour to the police.

An Australia Post spokesperson emphasised the importance of reporting these incidents to the police, stating, ‘Theft of parcels and mail after delivery is a criminal offence and customers should get in touch with police if they suspect their mail has been tampered with or stolen.’

Screenshot 2024-05-17 095358.jpg
Australia Post cautioned residents about a rise in parcel thefts captured on home security cameras. Credits: Facebook / Australia Post Complaints

A recent report from Finder shed light on the alarming frequency of these thefts, revealing that one in five Australians had a parcel stolen between April 2022 and April 2023.

The financial impact is significant, with the average cost of a stolen parcel being $129. This adds up to an estimated $541 million worth of goods stolen in just one year, affecting not only residents but also businesses.

The high cost of living is thought to be a contributing factor to this uptick in parcel theft, with some individuals prompted to ‘bend their morals a little more than usual’ to make ends meet.

Sarah Megginson from Finder commented on the situation: ‘People are strapped for cash at the moment. It's a real slap in the face to have something you've paid for to arrive and then it gets stolen’

‘It's really disheartening to see that this is a trend that is increasing.’

‘It causes problems for a number of people…businesses need to make a profit, residents miss out,’ she added.

In response to this growing problem, Australia Post encouraged the public to take proactive measures to secure their deliveries.

One such measure is the AusPost app, which provides customers with access to self-service parcel lockers for secure storage before collection.

Alternatively, residents can redirect their parcels to a local post office, where they can be held safely until they are able to pick them up in person.

As Australia Post issued a warning to residents following a brazen act captured on camera, concerns about petty crime and its underlying causes come into sharp focus.

The recent incident serves as a reminder of the challenges faced by individuals in the community, shedding light on the desperate measures some may resort to amidst a cost-of-living crisis.

This juxtaposition highlights the complex interplay between socioeconomic pressures and criminal behaviour, prompting a deeper examination of the realities faced by Australians navigating financial hardships.
Key Takeaways
  • Australia Post warned residents to be vigilant after an increase in parcel thefts, which have been documented by home security cameras.
  • Victims were shocked by the ‘brazen’ and ‘opportunistic’ crimes, and Australia Post advised reporting these offences to the police.
  • A Finder report indicated that one in five Australians had a parcel stolen from them in a one-year period, with the average cost of a stolen parcel being $129.
  • Australia Post encouraged the use of its app for access to self-service parcel lockers or redirection of parcels to local post offices for secure collection.
Have you experienced similar problems with your parcel? What are your tips to prevent this from happening to others? Let us know your stories and suggestions in the comments below!

Sponsored
Yes I have problems with Aramax. I even rang their alleged local office to inquire why only one part of my parcel was delivered. The delivery guy just shrugged his shoulders & walked off, so contacted the office & am still waiting to hear back. This was mid last year. The 2nd parcel was delivered but still! No customer service at all.
I’ve had problems with Aramax too. Customer service? What customer service?

Get a P.O. Box, or one of those other security boxes. Are there other alternatives i.e. to leave it with a neighbour who is always home.
Trouble is a surprising number of merchants will not send to PO boxes - more security than a physical address - maybe I just put the box no minus the PO in front and see what happens. We are rural and do not have mail delivery let alone parcels.

Yes I have problems with Aramax. I even rang their alleged local office to inquire why only one part of my parcel was delivered. The delivery guy just shrugged his shoulders & walked off, so contacted the office & am still waiting to hear back. This was mid last year. The 2nd parcel was delivered but still! No customer service at all.
Yes, Aramax has lost two of my parcels in the last month, with no reply to enquiries. I would never use Aramax.

Reactions: siameezer and DLHM
I recently was expecting a parcel to be delivered having been advised it was out for delivery. The front inside door was open so I could see when he arrived also the garage door was up. Being on the computer a short time later I got the message that it had been delivered. I had seen no one come nor had the doorbell rung so I thought must be in the mailbox. So out I went but no parcel. I contacted Auspost to say it had not been delivered, they then sent me a photo of where it was left. It was not my home so advised them of that and they said they would investigate. Later in the day my neighbour across the road as he came home and had found the parcel on his verandah. The parcel was clearly labled with my address. Just this week we had a parcel dropped off in the mailbox that said signature required. mail box does not give signatures. The mail delivery system needs a shake up.

What has the world come to
Not only do we have to worry about people trying to scam our bank accounts,but low life scum stealing your parcels, home invasions, stabbings, road rage and so it goes on.
I can remember when I didn't have to lock my front door, could leave the keys in the car.
Nobody has any manners these days.
I gave up my seat on a busy bus recently to a very fragile old lady(I'm 77 myself, with arthritis in both knees) while uni students and so called "gentlemen"continued to sit on their rear ends too busy with their phones.
Took my husband's granddaughter out to tea recently, she spent the entire evening on her phone
I'm glad I was born when I was, I can't see the future having much going for it.
Perhaps I'm just having a bad day, but it's only just begun, 5.20 here in WA. Maybe I need a coffee?🤦
I agree, luckily I have a payed post office box as I live rural..But where have good manners gone don't see much of them now days and so much security needed on everything. No trust left

Reactions: PattiB
I usually ask a neighbour to get my parcels if I am not at home but will be more vigilant now. We did have a tenant who was stealing parcels but fortunately he has gone. If it wasn't so hard to get to a post office, I would have my parcels delivered there. The trouble with not driving.
There are a lot of shops that allow parcel pickup. Near me it’s a jewellery shop. I was amazed

Not only do we have to worry about people trying to scam our bank accounts,but low life scum stealing your parcels, home invasions, stabbings, road rage and so it goes on.
I can remember when I didn't have to lock my front door, could leave the keys in the car.
I gave up my seat on a busy bus recently to a very fragile old lady(I'm 77 myself, with arthritis in both knees) while uni students and so called "gentlemen"continued to sit on their rear ends too busy with their phones.
Took my husband's granddaughter out to tea recently, she spent the entire evening on her phone
I'm glad I was born when I was, I can't see the future having much going for it.
Perhaps I'm just having a bad day, but it's only just begun, 5.20 here in WA. Maybe I need a coffee?🤦
That would be the last time she was taken out!!!!!
You were not having a bad day...... we are getting more like America... thank heavens I'm on the way out.....

Some Australian Post deliveries are dumped at the front gate when delivery instructions differ from where it was dumpeld. This is usually because the couriers cannot read or understand english or do not read or understand the instruction. Why hire anyone who cannot read English?

• Angry
Reactions: siameezer
I ask EVERY delivery to PLEASE RING BELL ON ARRIVAL, because I have no cover at my front door, so rain and sun can damage the parcel - and I am always at home 24/7. yet, 50% still can't be bothered.
Another reason why I never order food delivery anymore, except groceries.
I ask them all to ring the doorbell too and the ONLY one that does is my fantastic Aussie Post courier.

Reactions: DLHM and PattiB
I had a parcel stolen from my mailbox on 26th April 24. It was for Mother's day. I only found out last Monday. Australia Post requested I report it to the Police. I thought it was too long between the time it happened and reporting but the Police said they were glad I did because now they were it was aware of this going on. I live in Warwick Qld.

I certainly sympathise with you, "mylittletibbies". The old-world "values" revered and upheld by so many generations are fast disappearing. Inordinate and unchecked reliance on the computer and the electronic world has created a generation of individuals locked into themselves and their private world - " look at me, I am the best...don't need others, don't care for others." This, in turn, has given rise to selfishness, greed, insecurity and lack of care for others. When will it end...if ever?!?

As for the problem of stolen mail/parcels, ever since I lost some goods delivered to my home last Christmas, I have decided to avail myself of Australia Post's PARCEL COLLECT FACILITY. You are given an exclusive "Collect ID number" and sent an email to advise you to collect a delivery, usually within a given time of two weeks. Of course, being near a post office helps, or having the transport facility to do so.
Emwick

Last edited:
Reactions: DLHM
I usually ask a neighbour to get my parcels if I am not at home but will be more vigilant now. We did have a tenant who was stealing parcels but fortunately he has gone. If it wasn't so hard to get to a post office, I would have my parcels delivered there. The trouble with not driving.
That is my problem too getting to the Castle Hill P.O. is a nightmare on a frame!!

• Sad
Reactions: Liz and DLHM
How about Australia Post and other entities taking responsibility for delivering items as should be, ie: Ring the bell, knock on the door to first see if someone is home to sign for the item before just chucking every parcel on the doorstep in full view of those very thieves that are stealing items. It used to be that it was the norm for the Postman to knock on the door and get a signature for safely delivering a package or taking it back to the post office for the recipient to collect later. Not now though when parcel deliveries are bringing in so much profit for Australia Post and others. It's slap dash service when the customer certainly deserves a guaranteed delivery one way or the other. Laziness and profits abound - and that's meant to be progress.

Reactions: DLHM