Vella Gonzaga

Vella Gonzaga

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 23, 2021
Old Gestetner Machine

compressed-Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 4.57.59 PM.jpeg
Credits: Facebook/Australia Remember When

Who still remembers those old Gestetner machines? They were like the workhorses of offices and schools, making copies of newsletters, flyers, and lots of important documents. These machines had that strong ink smell. Now, they're but a distant memory, replaced by sleek computers and high-speed photocopiers. It's remarkable to think how far we've come since the days of the trusty Gestetner. Do you have any fond memories of using these machines? Tell us here.

Last edited:
Reactions: RTS and featherfour
I remember my first office job I was 15 and worked in the office of a large firm of consulting engineers.
We used to have to type hundreds of the wax stencils,.for building specifications
These would then be put on the old Gestetner for printing
In those days you had to turn the handle to print off each copy. We thought it was just great when the newer model came in where you set the number you wanted and it printed automatically.
Now we have computers, printers, etc. Things have certainly changed
But I remember those days very fondly.

I used a Gestetner at school to run off notes for parents, and then at work. I also remember the first xerox photocopier where paper often caught on fire and had to be swept out.

• Wow
Reactions: Wandiwa
Old Gestetner Machine

Credits: Facebook/Australia Remember When

Who still remembers those old Gestetner machines? They were like the workhorses of offices and schools, making copies of newsletters, flyers, and lots of important documents. These machines had that strong ink smell. Now, they're but a distant memory, replaced by sleek computers and high-speed photocopiers. It's remarkable to think how far we've come since the days of the trusty Gestetner. Do you have any fond memories of using these machines? Tell us here.
yes, I remember typing up the copy and if you make a mistake it was covered over with a nail polish like liquid that smelt as bad as the copy ink. And then having to clip it one straight so it didn't wrinkle.

I started work in an office in 1971 and we used gestetner nachines for copying we had 2 women who did the copying we had 2 machines no one else was allowed to use them they had to serviced every month we didn't get photocopier machines until 1977 and they cost a fortune