New details emerge on teen suspect in Bunnings carpark stabbing

Content Warning: This article mentions graphic descriptions of violence, including stabbing. Reader discretion is advised.

In a quiet Perth suburb, a violent incident sparked involving a teenager who became embroiled in a disturbing narrative.

The stabbing in a Bunnings carpark by a 16-year-old boy, who was subsequently shot by police, has sent shockwaves through the city and raised alarms about the safety and well-being of our youth.

Before he stabbed a man and was shot by police, the ‘radicalised’ teen sent a message saying he was going ‘on the path of jihad’.

He shared the message on social media, prompting members of Perth's Islamic community to alert the police.

Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 8.37.53 AM.png
The teenager was shot by the police after stabbing a man in a Bunnings carpark. Credit: 7NEWS Australia / YouTube

‘Brothers, please forgive me for any time I have wronged you, I am going on the path of jihad tonight for the sake of Allah,’ the boy, who had reportedly converted to Islam, wrote.

‘I am a soldier of the mujahideen of Al-Qaeda and take responsibility for the actions that will... take place tonight.’

‘If you have any illegal or jihadi things online or in real life, please make sure to hide them well and clear your technology such as laptops and phones, including search history... as the police will likely look into my contacts.’

The teenager, who had been part of a 'deradicalisation' program for over two years, had reportedly converted to Islam after being radicalised online.

He had been known to police since he was 14 and had mental health issues.

The incident, which occurred late on a Saturday night, 4 May, in Willetton Bunnings, ended with the assailant being neutralised by police firearms after Tasers failed to subdue him.

The victim of the stabbing is now in a stable condition at Royal Perth Hospital.

The boy's actions prior to the attack have brought to light a disturbing attempt to influence his peers at Rossmoyne Senior High School in Perth.

Parents have come forward with accounts of a 'group of boys' trying to ‘indoctrinate’ their children, prompting the involvement of the Australian Federal Police and the state's Department of Education.

Assistant Commissioner Colonel Blanch of the Western Australia Police Force confirmed the teenager's involvement in a national program designed to steer individuals away from violent extremism.

Yet, despite the incident bearing the 'hallmarks' of a terrorist attack, Commissioner Blanch stopped short of labelling it as such, citing the absence of a broader network at this stage.

‘I believe this is a person acting alone. I don’t need additional capability at this time whilst it meets the criteria or at least the definition,’ Commissioner Blanch said.

‘It would be too early for me to act now because I don’t have the concerns of a broader network that might be involved at this stage.’

After the attack, Tasmanian Senator Jacqui Lambie was ‘terribly concerned’ about online radicalisation.

She suggested the idea of ‘putting fully qualified psychiatrists or psychologists in our schools’.

‘Maybe looking at reducing the chaplains program because I’m not sure that that is helpful either,’ she said

‘The older they are... the more desensitised they’ve become because of social media platforms.’

‘You’ve got to have them in person out there. You cannot run a program to [de-radicalise] someone over the internet... It is never going to work with these kids.’

The community's response has been one of unified condemnation and concern.

Perth's largest mosque, the Nasir Mosque, through Imam Syed Wadood Janud, expressed shock and a strong denouncement of violence.

‘The whole community is shook, and we are all concerned regarding the perpetrators’ online radicalisation that early reports are hinting towards,’ said Imam Syed Wadood Janud.

‘There is no place for violence in Islam. We appreciate the effort of the police to keep our communities safe. I also want to commend the local Muslim community who had flagged the individual prior with the police.’

You can watch 7NEWS’ coverage below:

Credit: 7NEWS Australia / YouTube

This event comes on the heels of another stabbing in Sydney, where Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel was attacked during a sermon.

That incident, too, involved a 16-year-old and was declared a terrorist incident.
Key Takeaways
  • A 'radicalised' teenager in Perth was shot by police after stabbing a man in a Bunnings carpark, having spent over two years in a deradicalisation program.
  • The teen had attempted to indoctrinate other students at his school and was known to have mental health issues and a history with the police from a young age.
  • The stabbed man is in stable condition at Royal Perth Hospital; law enforcement has not yet classified the incident as a terrorist attack despite it having the 'hallmarks' of one.
  • The attack has been condemned by Perth's largest mosque, pointing out that violence has no place in Islam and highlighting the local Muslim community's prior actions in flagging the individual to the police.
We at the Seniors Discount Club extend our heartfelt thoughts to the victim and their family.

Sponsored
Kick these radicalised people out of Australia.....don't need people like this !
That is a harsh statement from you. Some are radicalised but not all of them come from overseas, so don’t judge and say they need to be kicked out of Australia.

I believe there needs to be more severe punishment handed down by our legal system instead of our judges saying ‘he’s/she’s only a minor or child, here’s a smack on the wrist. Don’t do that again’! They need to be severely punished (depending on age & severity of the crime) and made to do some hard physical work to better themselves and help the community - but that needs to be done in a controlled and supervised manner. None of this nonsense saying go home and be good now.

Parents need to have better control of their children from toddlers who from that young age have what my husband calls ‘tanties’. Their tantrums are given into at a very young age and so they don’t learn to behave and have respect for anyone, anything and the possessions of others. School teachers are abused no end when they should be able to control students, but no, parents are also going on the defensive if their children are corrected - what is this current younger generation (& their parents) coming to??

Last edited:
‘Brothers, please forgive me for any time I have wronged you, I am going on the path of jihad tonight for the sake of Allah,’ the boy, who had reportedly converted to Islam, wrote.

‘I am a soldier of the mujahideen of Al-Qaeda and take responsibility for the actions that will... take place tonight.’

Religion....the root of all evil.

Anyone care to dispute this fact?
Perhaps religion should be banned from the internet, forcing people to come out in the open to their churches.

Personally I think any person who is running around with any life threatening item, knife, gun, sword etc etc, and using it in a way that is threatening to ANYONE in the community needs to be dealt with by the police in whatever way they can to stop the person. If that means shooting and wounding or killing then so be it, police shouldn’t have to risk serious injury or death themselves. Shooting these people may also send a message to anyone else who thinks it is ok to run around killing and injuring people. Better to shoot them out of the way than to have to pay for them to be kept in gaol for years only to get out and do it all over again. As I said, this is my personal opinion. Partly brought about from my grandfather being witness to a murder years ago, and when he gave evidence being threatened by the perpetrator and his family, and living in fear for his life for many years afterwards. It wasn’t until he moved out of the area where the family lived that he started to feel safer again.

Whilst what the boy did was absolutely abhorrent, I find it difficult to understand how police had to resort to killing him - surely they could have disabled him by wounding him. So sad on many levels.
The deradicalisation program didn't work.

After taking part in it, he ended up at Bunnings.

He stabbed someone. This victim could have died.

The majority possible future victims are better off.

Reactions: relljube and Gsr
Bunnings can’t win a trick at the moment it seems. I read that there were multiple businesses in the complex so technically the car park serviced all of them.

Reactions: DLHM
Since when has these religions been about peace. What a crock of shit. Islams and Muslims have been kiiling each other since the beginning of time. They are all lions and tigers and we are their prey. There's no place for this crap in our country. This kid was out to harm and he copped the wrong end of the stick.

Wow! This was a 16 year old boy - no need for him to have been given a death sentence. How many police did it take?
Are you serious the kid had already stabbed one person and he was after more blood he got what he deserved. Let's face it, this will save us money no courts and no jail where we pay for all that. Police do a great job in getting the baddies but the court system (judges) let us down. The Police did a good job.

I don’t think any religion is bad…..but the way that some followers choose to interpret their chosen religion is damnable…..from the scare tactics used on vulnerable people in the poorer countries, in the name of god and Christianity to the horrors that have been visited on the world by jihadists in the name of Allah….. I think the religions of the world were meant to advocate peace, and there as a guide to live a good and rewarding life……Sadly that is not the case, and since it came into the world it has been used as an excuse to justify the atrocities committed, through the hundreds of years, against so many innocent people……..and not a single thing has changed……….I do bear in mind that there are many good people amongst the bad apples in any walk of life though…..

Just desserts.

How about 10 year old child soldiers who have been used for centuries? Are they immune from death because of their age?

Kill or be killed!
Well it would have to be a consideration, These are young children indoctrinated from a very young age. Imagine if you had a child that age who behaved in that manner, and just how you would feel if they were put to death! We are all capable of such atrocities - the majority do not carry them out, and that generally comes down to having a sense of right and wrong instilled at a young age. If that doesn't occur in their lives, then you have the child soldiers.

Are you serious the kid had already stabbed one person and he was after more blood he got what he deserved. Let's face it, this will save us money no courts and no jail where we pay for all that. Police do a great job in getting the baddies but the court system (judges) let us down. The Police did a good job.
That is your opinion. Mine is the opposite. I agree with you that the court system lets the public down with the light sentencing often handed down. However, I think taking such extreme measures to kill a 16 year old boy was totally unnecessary. These officers are supposed to be trained to take down a miscreant, without resorting to killing them.

I don’t think any religion is bad…..but the way that some followers choose to interpret their chosen religion is damnable…..from the scare tactics used on vulnerable people in the poorer countries, in the name of god and Christianity to the horrors that have been visited on the world by jihadists in the name of Allah….. I think the religions of the world were meant to advocate peace, and there as a guide to live a good and rewarding life……Sadly that is not the case, and since it came into the world it has been used as an excuse to justify the atrocities committed, through the hundreds of years, against so many innocent people……..and not a single thing has changed……….I do bear in mind that there are many good people amongst the bad apples in any walk of life though…..
Religion, like royalism and dictatorship, is the prime method by which certain people exert power over the general population which are rendered helpless and gullible through threats and force. Don't tow the line and you will be subject to all sorts of atrocities or death.

Even the best selling work of fiction in history, namely the bible (capitalisation purposely omitted), has countless instances of overt violence and oppression in its chapters. The Koran is no different. I cannot speak for any other "scriptures".

Reactions: Miss Chris and DLHM

Honey glazed salmon its scrumptious​

[IMG alt="Babybird"]https://seniorsdiscountclub.com.au/data/avatars/s/73/73185.jpg?1708208592[/IMG]
By Babybird
  • Apr 30, 2024
  • Replies 4
honey-garlic-soy-glazed-salmon-1024x1536.jpg

Recipe and picture by Saily's Baking Addiction
This simple baked salmon is smothered with a 5-ingredient salty-sweet glaze and is ready in under 35 minutes!

Ingredients​

• 4 salmon fillets, about 6 ounces (170g) each
  • 1/3 cup (80ml) reduced sodium soy sauce (or regular)
  • 1/3 cup (113g) honey
  • 1 Tablespoon (15ml) sesame oil (or olive oil)
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced (or 2 teaspoons jarred/minced)
  • 1 teaspoon peeled minced fresh ginger
  • optional for garnish: chopped green onion and/or sesame seeds
  • Marinate the salmon: Place salmon fillets into a large zippered food storage bag or shallow dish/container. In a medium bowl, whisk soy sauce, honey, sesame oil, garlic, and ginger together. Pour about half of the mixture (just eyeball it) over salmon. Turn salmon to coat. Seal the bag/cover the dish and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes and up to 4 hours.
  • Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375°F (191°C). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, parchment paper, or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
  • Line the marinated salmon fillets on the baking sheet, skin side down. You can hold onto this used marinade—see step 5. Bake salmon for 15–20 minutes or until done, which is 10 minutes per inch thickness measured from the thickest part of the fillet. (Salmon is considered done when an instant read thermometer reads the center of the thickest part as at least 145°F (63°C).) Feel free to turn your oven to broil for the last minute to really crisp the edges.
  • Meanwhile, as the salmon bakes, pour the remaining unused marinade into a small saucepan or skillet over medium-high heat. If you want, you can add the remaining (used) marinade as well. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 3–4 minutes or until slightly thickened. Keep a close eye on it because it can quickly burn. It will bubble up a lot as it reduces. Remove from heat.
  • Drizzle thickened glaze over baked salmon and serve with optional garnish.
  • Leftovers keep well in the refrigerator for a few days. Reheat to your likings

Notes​

1. Make Ahead Instructions: You can marinate the salmon up to 4 hours in advance. If needed, you can extend to 8 hours.
  2. Special Tools (affiliate links): Glass Containers | Glass Mixing Bowl | Whisk | Baking Sheet | Silicone Baking Mat, Parchment Paper, or Foil | Instant Read Thermometer | Small Saucepan
  3. Sides: To complete the meal, serve the salmon with steamed broccoli and rice. Both are excellent with glaze drizzled on top. You can cook both as the salmon bakes.
  4. Can I use frozen salmon? Yes, you can use frozen uncooked salmon fillets. Thaw completely before using.
  5. Can I replace salmon with chicken? Yes, you can replace the salmon with boneless chicken breasts or thighs and increase the bake time until the chicken is cooked through. Marinate the chicken for closer to 1 hour instead of just 15 minutes.
  6. I find after salmon is cooked keep warm while you do this. In the juices of the salmon after it cooks also 2 tablspn of the marinade add some peas and chopped carrots cup rice to 2 cups water half teaspoon salt cook your rice in that gives rice so much flavour.erhaps
Whilst what the boy did was absolutely abhorrent, I find it difficult to understand how police had to resort to killing him - surely they could have disabled him by wounding him. So sad on many levels.
To what end? He is so disturbed that he would try again -
It’s not as simple as that - he was probably born here/ is a minor and probably an Australian citizen
So where do you ‘kick’ them to????
Jail - end of!

There are no answers.
We can only be alert to the things our kids are accessing on-line. It is not so difficult. Perhaps some parents might consider it intrusive, but, what is worse...life in prison, or sitting the HSC?
I also have a thing against the outrageous gaming genres out there that seem to glorify violence and stupid behaviour.
I did not have these kind of problems when our 2 were young lads because there was not as much out there. Most games they played were purchased by us and their playing time was structured.
Now, not so easy...but not impossible.
My grandchildren have parents who control such things and, yes, do monitor access. No child was gifted a mobile. If they wanted one, they had to save up and buy a basic unit themselves.
It's not the end of the world if one has to say NO to a child. It's the right thing to do when you take the time to keep an eye on what they are up to. It's imperative that we talk to them, and, teach them about the pitfalls that are out there that can be destructive.
I can only imagine how the parents of these young boys are feeling. No respite for them.

Despite beings raised in a semi religious home, (by that I mean my mother was always searching for a religion that felt right), I have felt that religion is evil since childhood. I could see how religion targets the vulnerability of people. 😞😠

• Love
Reactions: Veggiepatch