Macquarie Bank clients have a few days left to adapt to major 'digital only' overhaul

As the digital age continues to reshape our daily lives, Macquarie Bank is leading a significant shift in the banking industry, urging its customers to brace for a 'digital only' future.

With just three days remaining until pivotal changes take effect, Macquarie Bank clients are encouraged to act swiftly to ensure a smooth transition.

Macquarie Bank's decision last year to phase out cash and cheque payments reflects a broader trend of customers embracing digital transactions over traditional banking methods.

From 20 May, the bank's customers will face a new reality where over-the-counter services and ordering new chequebooks at Macquarie offices will no longer be available.

shutterstock_2400442993.jpg
Macquarie Bank customers only have a few days left before it goes completely digital. Credit: Shutterstock

By 1 November, further changes will come into play, including the inability to write or deposit personal cheques, request or deposit bank cheques, or make super contributions or payments via cheques.

Moreover, Macquarie's partnership with National Australia Bank (NAB) branches will conclude, eliminating the option to deposit cash or cheques over the counter at NAB.

However, customers with a Macquarie Transaction or Offset account equipped with a Macquarie Debit Mastercard will retain the convenience of withdrawing cash at ATMs.

The digital payment landscape offers a variety of methods to cater to different needs.

BPAY, which means ‘bill payments’, is a staple for online bill payments. It requires a biller code and customer reference number, both typically found on the bill you wish to pay.

Electronic funds transfer (EFT) is ideal for one-off payments, requiring a BSB, account number, and account name.

Direct debit is the go-to method for recurring bills, such as gym memberships, as it automates the transfer of funds between accounts.

Lastly, PayID offers a swift way to pay someone using their phone number, provided the recipient has set up PayID through their bank's app.

Businesses must ensure that their payers, clients, and other entities they interact with are ready to transact digitally.

‘If your payers, clients, and other businesses you work with aren’t set up to pay you digitally, please prompt them to get started now,’ Macquarie said.

New customers opening a Macquarie account on or after May 20 can still utilise cash and cheque deposit services at NAB branches or request a bank cheque until 1 November, when these services will be discontinued.

Macquarie Bank championed digital banking as a 'safe, quick, and more convenient' method of transaction.

‘As a digital bank, we’re committed to transitioning to completely digital payments and continuing to ensure our customers can access secure and reliable digital payment options,’ Macquarie said.

This transformation aligns with the strategies of other major banks, such as ANZ, Commonwealth Bank, and NAB, which have already begun phasing out cheques.

Bankwest is also transitioning to a digital bank this year, planning to close 45 branches in Western Australia by October.

Despite some backlash, these banks cite customer preferences as the driving force behind the move, with 97 per cent of transactions completed digitally and less than 2 per cent of customers visiting branches regularly.

The Reserve Bank of Australia's data reflects this shift, showing a dramatic decrease in cash usage for day-to-day payments.

In 2019, cash accounted for 27 per cent of in-person transactions, but by 2022, this figure had more than halved to just 13 per cent.

ATM usage has also declined since 2008, with the number and value of withdrawals dropping by about 60 per cent and 40 per cent, respectively.

Interestingly, there has been a slight resurgence in cash withdrawals, with the RBA's Retail Payments report revealing a 9.5 per cent growth rate in ATM withdrawals in February 2024 compared to the previous year.
Key Takeaways

• Macquarie Bank is moving towards a fully digital payment system, phasing out cash and cheque services for its customers starting May 20.
  • Customers will need to adopt alternative digital payment methods for transactions, such as BPAY, EFT, direct debit, and PayID.
  • The transition reflects a broader trend among Australian banks and consumer habits, with a significant decline in using cash and ATMs for day-to-day payments.
  • Although there has been a recent slight resurgence in ATM withdrawals, the overall movement is towards digital banking, with other major banks like ANZ, Commonwealth Bank, NAB, and Bankwest also transitioning away from physical banking services.
How do you feel about the move towards a cashless society? Are you ready for the shift, or do you have reservations? Share your experiences and opinions in the comments below.

Sponsored
Why would you want a bank a/c online? It's easily accessed by hackers & then BANG you have no money!!

Apart from that, I do not understand all these new (& supposedly improved) ways to pay a/cs & I really have no desire to learn. At my age, all I want is simple face-to-face banking where I can go & get some money or deposit money I have been paid for selling excess stuff from my home etc. Not rocket science just basic service from an industry which has forgotten why they were created in the first place.

• Haha
Reactions: Greg350 and IAN3005
The government can stop this happening but they don't care about people anymore and are just so bloody useless.
This suits the government’s journey towards total control of people’s money- cash is the one thing they can’t regulate so they regulate the banks and get the banks to regulate us! That way they don’t get the blame politically
All parties the same on this
Not a brave new world I want to live in.

Why would you want a bank a/c online? It's easily accessed by hackers & then BANG you have no money!!

Apart from that, I do not understand all these new (& supposedly improved) ways to pay a/cs & I really have no desire to learn. At my age, all I want is simple face-to-face banking where I can go & get some money or deposit money I have been paid for selling excess stuff from my home etc. Not rocket science just basic service from an industry which has forgotten why they were created in the first place.
You have to keep up with the times..... cash is worthless as we enter the digital age.... no use fighting it... all my regular bills are paid on line automatically... if Aldi didn't charge to use credit that to would be digital.

Reactions: freedy50
Absolutely no why should we be forced into a cashless society. what about all the scams and fraud that is going on? The government should be stepping up and preventing this. All banks etc then should be held responsible if anyone is hacked in anyway. Like so many businesses and the government no one seems to care about the elderly. Starting to think we live in China or Russia dictated too. This is not the Australia we know. The Federal government needs to act NOW.

The banks are forcing this on the people.
if they close banks..well of cause there is never going to be over the counter transactions.
and if they remove ATM’s we can not access cash
and now they’re going to refuse to allow people to deposit their cash.
why do we actually need banks, it’s not like we receive any interest..maybe keeping cash in a safe at home is better..and popping to the post office to pay bills..
best get all business to send invoices via mail, so it’s easier to pay our bills at the post office with our cash.
How long before the Post Offices get forced into this ridiculous plan too ?

Reactions: IAN3005
It’s all about the banks, no thought for their customers who still like to go to a bank and draw cash out, it’s our money, after all they are a service industry supposedly catering to the needs of ALL CUSTOMER. How do you give a child some pocket money or money from the tooth fairy or donate loose change. Plus what happens when the computers etc crash, nothing can be paid…. CASH IS KING
service???? WHAT SERVICE. They only service themselves

Absolutely no why should we be forced into a cashless society. what about all the scams and fraud that is going on? The government should be stepping up and preventing this. All banks etc then should be held responsible if anyone is hacked in anyway. Like so many businesses and the government no one seems to care about the elderly. Starting to think we live in China or Russia dictated too. This is not the Australia we know. The Federal government needs to act NOW.
I’ve been saying that for ages. No one has a say any more about anything !

I got out of the NAB years ago when, within half an hour of a phonecall from my daughter saying she's sent me $20 for my birthday I went to the bank and discovered they had already helped themselves to $5. I pulled all my money, went to CUA and have been there ever since.

It will soon be like China

Doesn't seem to be a problem with that. Who uses an old fashioned cheque book these days anyway? 🤔

I opened a bank account 5 years ago at a branch of Westpac and have never been in a branch since. All my bills are paid online with BPAY or direct debit. Everyday things like shopping are paid by the debit card on my phone. Any online shopping I pay by PayPal. Don't need a bank or cash for anything. I get statements by email and got the banks app on my phone to check everything.

Why don't people like making things easier for themselves? Who really wants to remember every month what bill they have or haven't paid? And then some people have this mania that they want to pay it in cash just to make a point? 🙄

I'm glad I'm not still stuck in the 80's/90's like a lot of luddites.🙄 It's the 21st century. Best to keep up with modern technology as it's not going to go backwards now.

The thing that worries me is the number of people who will and have lost their jobs through all these bank closures and changes. Who will be footing the bill, not the banks that is for sure.
I disagree with digital only services as it limits our freedom and how we use OUR money. We have seen recently how "secure" these institutions are, so being totally digital does not offer me any confidence that anyone can claim complete or better security when they cannot stop "hackers" from infiltrating their systems.
A mix of digital and cash, to me , is a much better system.

The thing that worries me is the number of people who will and have lost their jobs through all these bank closures and changes. Who will be footing the bill, not the banks that is for sure.
I disagree with digital only services as it limits our freedom and how we use OUR money. We have seen recently how "secure" these institutions are, so being totally digital does not offer me any confidence that anyone can claim complete or better security when they cannot stop "hackers" from infiltrating their systems.
A mix of digital and cash, to me , is a much better system.
And the banks rake it in... record profits.

This suits the government’s journey towards total control of people’s money- cash is the one thing they can’t regulate so they regulate the banks and get the banks to regulate us! That way they don’t get the blame politically
All parties the same on this
Not a brave new world I want to live in.
These weird conspiracy theories are always funny😂
Do you think the Government will just give you an allowance every week to spend? 😂

Reactions: Greg350 and IAN3005
service???? WHAT SERVICE. They only service themselves
That's right... what service... I must admit the Commonwealth bank i not too bad on service... as long as you don't mind waiting.

Doesn't seem to be a problem with that. Who uses an old fashioned cheque book these days anyway? 🤔

I opened a bank account 5 years ago at a branch of Westpac and have never been in a branch since. All my bills are paid online with BPAY or direct debit. Everyday things like shopping are paid by the debit card on my phone. Any online shopping I pay by PayPal. Don't need a bank or cash for anything. I get statements by email and got the banks app on my phone to check everything.

Why don't people like making things easier for themselves? Who really wants to remember every month what bill they have or haven't paid? And then some people have this mania that they want to pay it in cash just to make a point? 🙄

I'm glad I'm not still stuck in the 80's/90's like a lot of luddites.🙄 It's the 21st century. Best to keep up with modern technology as it's not going to go backwards now.
Don't forget the "hackers" as technology in banks etc improve so do the methods of "hackers" but if you feel you are secure good for you. No system is perfect but I prefer a combination of both digital and cash. Don't forget all those people who will now be on unemployment and who pays for that - you, me and most of Australia. Hopefully the banks find a means of giving them all jobs - oh but then fees will go up to provide new positions within the banks. Remember their is a reaction to every action. Perhaps you should be a luddite and think things through from many angles not just your addiction to not handling your own money.
Proud to be a luddite with the ability to think unlike so many who think they are forward thinkers. Let's hope none of your modern technology is hacked and your money, security remains safe.