Is going cashless taking away your freedom? Find out how businesses face consumer boycotts

As technology keeps advancing, our society has been steadily moving towards becoming a cashless one. While many businesses have embraced this trend, seeing it as a cost-effective and efficient way to handle transactions, some consumers are staunchly against it, arguing that it violates their personal rights and freedoms.

Now, let's dive into the details of this debate.

Facebook groups like Call Out Cashless Businesses urge its members to name and boycott businesses that don't accept cash payments. Mike Palmer, a resident of Melbourne and the group's founder, explained that his opposition to cashless businesses is based on the principles of ‘freedom of choice’.

Palmer hopes his advocacy will generate enough public pressure to dissuade businesses from transitioning to a cashless system. He acknowledges the convenience and security reasons business owners prefer cashless transactions but remains steadfast in his belief that people's rights should be safeguarded.

compressed-credit-card-g3065d07b9_1280.jpeg
According to business owners who have adopted a ‘cashless’ approach, they claim that it provides a safer and more hygienic environment for their staff. Image by AhmadArdity from pixabay

Many are also concerned that getting rid of the cash option will continue to have a negative impact on consumers in the long term.

One of the main worries for those favouring cash transactions is that digital payment systems could result in increased control over people's lifestyles by government institutions.

This debate has even made its way into the Australian nightlife scene. Fremantle bar and music club Freo Social are among the many businesses facing backlash due to their cashless policy.

While the majority of customers have responded positively, owner James Legge was surprised by the strong opinions expressed by some unhappy customers in response to this change.

compressed-shutterstock_1749759143-min.jpeg
James Legge asserts that cashless payments expedite the service process. Image from Shutterstock

Legge has argued that cashless payments not only enhance customer service but also improve health and safety measures for their staff. This point is particularly relevant during the pandemic, as handling cash poses a higher risk of infection.

However, the lingering effects of the COVID-19 crisis may contribute to the negative response towards the shift to cashless transactions.

Chrissie Maus, the Chief Executive Officer of the Fremantle Chamber of Commerce, believes that this backlash could be a residual effect of the pandemic, where people might be reacting to their choices being taken away during the lockdowns.

Moreover, customers are also concerned about potential bank fees associated with cashless payments, which could further burden their finances.

Key Takeaways
  • Businesses that ask for cashless payments face backlash and boycotts from a section of the community that believes refusing to take cash infringes on their personal rights.
  • Melbourne resident Mike Palmer started a Facebook group, Call Out Cashless Businesses, to encourage boycotts of cashless businesses.
  • Some campaigns arguing that cashless payments deny people's freedoms and rights started to emerge at the height of the COVID-19 pandemic.
  • Fremantle bar and music club Freo Social is among the businesses facing backlash due to their cashless policy, with owner James Legge stating he was surprised by the level of backlash from some customers who were unhappy about the change.
Businesses worldwide must now face the tough decision of whether going cashless is worth forfeiting freedom of choice for their customers.

Although transitioning into a cashless society may seem inevitable as technology pushes us forward, striking a balance and ensuring that consumer rights remain protected will be essential for any business's long-term success.

So, members of the Seniors Discount Club, we'd love to hear your thoughts. Do you believe in retaining the freedom of choice when it comes to payments, or is the world of cashless transactions the way of the future? Sound off in the comments below!

Sponsored
As technology keeps advancing, our society has been steadily moving towards becoming a cashless one. While many businesses have embraced this trend, seeing it as a cost-effective and efficient way to handle transactions, some consumers are staunchly against it, arguing that it violates their personal rights and freedoms.

Facebook groups like Call Out Cashless Businesses urge its members to name and boycott businesses that don't accept cash payments. Mike Palmer, a resident of Melbourne and the group's founder, explained that his opposition to cashless businesses is based on the principles of ‘freedom of choice’.

Palmer hopes his advocacy will generate enough public pressure to dissuade businesses from transitioning to a cashless system. He acknowledges the convenience and security reasons business owners prefer cashless transactions but remains steadfast in his belief that people's rights should be safeguarded.

View attachment 22157
According to business owners who have adopted a ‘cashless’ approach, they claim that it provides a safer and more hygienic environment for their staff. Image by AhmadArdity from pixabay

Many are also concerned that getting rid of the cash option will continue to have a negative impact on consumers in the long term.

One of the main worries for those favouring cash transactions is that digital payment systems could result in increased control over people's lifestyles by government institutions.

This debate has even made its way into the Australian nightlife scene. Fremantle bar and music club Freo Social are among the many businesses facing backlash due to their cashless policy.

While the majority of customers have responded positively, owner James Legge was surprised by the strong opinions expressed by some unhappy customers in response to this change.

View attachment 22158
James Legge asserts that cashless payments expedite the service process. Image from Shutterstock

Legge has argued that cashless payments not only enhance customer service but also improve health and safety measures for their staff. This point is particularly relevant during the pandemic, as handling cash poses a higher risk of infection.

However, the lingering effects of the COVID-19 crisis may contribute to the negative response towards the shift to cashless transactions.

Chrissie Maus, the Chief Executive Officer of the Fremantle Chamber of Commerce, believes that this backlash could be a residual effect of the pandemic, where people might be reacting to their choices being taken away during the lockdowns.

Moreover, customers are also concerned about potential bank fees associated with cashless payments, which could further burden their finances.

Key Takeaways

• Businesses that ask for cashless payments face backlash and boycotts from a section of the community that believes refusing to take cash infringes on their personal rights.
  • Melbourne resident Mike Palmer started a Facebook group, Call Out Cashless Businesses, to encourage boycotts of cashless businesses.
  • Some campaigns arguing that cashless payments deny people's freedoms and rights started to emerge at the height of the COVID-19 pandemic.
  • Fremantle bar and music club Freo Social is among the businesses facing backlash due to their cashless policy, with owner James Legge stating he was surprised by the level of backlash from some customers who were unhappy about the change.
Businesses worldwide must now face the tough decision of whether going cashless is worth forfeiting freedom of choice for their customers.

Although transitioning into a cashless society may seem inevitable as technology pushes us forward, striking a balance and ensuring that consumer rights remain protected will be essential for any business's long-term success.

So, members of the Seniors Discount Club, we'd love to hear your thoughts. Do you believe in retaining the freedom of choice when it comes to payments, or is the world of cashless transactions the way of the future? Sound off in the comments below!
at least with cash you have to lose it before spending. cash is best. tell that to the minions.

• Haha
Reactions: Trudi
I usually never have cash in my purse. lately, though I have taken to not passing my bank but using the cash machine to withdraw $50.00 I then go to the newsagents to get my English magazine & I pay in cash, that way I have the change to put in my purse. That way I always have money for charity boxes.

About 20 + years ago , my wife and some friends joined me for a beautiful dinner at a French Restauraunt in Walkerville SA, only to find that they only accepted CASH not Credit Cards! However, they allowed us to leave without payment on the understanding that we would pay cash within the next week (which we did!).
They deserved their payment and their tip!!! But what is the other side of the story today?

Reactions: Robbo3006

View attachment 22157

View attachment 22158

Key Takeaways

Yep, I'm one, don't let me pay cash, don't get my money.

View attachment 22157

View attachment 22158

Key Takeaways

Cash is king no fee's associated with cash transactions erodes the money the more its used the less it's worth it an't rocket science 😉 and in a power outage or cyber attack cash is king go cashless you will pay literally wake up Australia 🇦🇺

CASH IS LEGAL TENDER! Yes cards are (slightly) safer, BUT every transaction is tracable by the 'big-wigs' and that is what they want. It is intended to finally end up that you cannot have garage sales or weekend markets or sell your secondhand goods online, because that would be income that the Government can't 'see' you have received. If people don't wake up and realise this soon enough, and start using CASH more, we WILL lose our RIGHTS of choice to use whatever mode of payment we prefer.

A cashless society would make it more difficult for the illegal tax-free "cash economy" to thrive. Transactions would be easier to trace as there would be an e-paper trail (for want if a better term).

This would force them to declare more income and hence, pay more tax, hopefully.

Though I'm sure that a bartering system would probably expabd yo completely replace the use of defunct cash.

I personally used my card a lot in the past, but found I spend a lot less when using cash and I can see it disappear.
I also think if businesses accept card only then they should not be allowed to charge the fee.
I will boycott any business that will not accept cash

• Haha
Reactions: Trudi and Robbo3006
CASH IS LEGAL TENDER! Yes cards are (slightly) safer, BUT every transaction is tracable by the 'big-wigs' and that is what they want. It is intended to finally end up that you cannot have garage sales or weekend markets or sell your secondhand goods online, because that would be income that the Government can't 'see' you have received. If people don't wake up and realise this soon enough, and start using CASH more, we WILL lose our RIGHTS of choice to use whatever mode of payment we prefer.
The sheep are too asleep to realize this

• Haha
I had to hand back a pan I was holding when I tried to pay cash at Robins Kitchen.

Cash is still legal tender.
banking
I recently heard a report on Sunrise that ACCC confirmed retailers and service providers can insist on card payments.

What if the customer has no card? I don't use cards to shop.

If you provide your card number and the 3 digit number at the back to anyone, s/he can go shopping using your bank balance. This is happening now. A lot.
At last someone that recognises that cash is legal tender therefore illegal to refuse cash. Let your legs do the walking - out to some other store that accepts cash,. Message will soon be received and understood especially if you "out" these businesses on social media.

• Haha
A cashless society would make it more difficult for the illegal tax-free "cash economy" to thrive. Transactions would be easier to trace as there would be an e-paper trail (for want if a better term).

This would force them to declare more income and hence, pay more tax, hopefully.

Though I'm sure that a bartering system would probably expabd yo completely replace the use of defunct cash.
And if the government feels you aren't complying to their Commands, they can turn off your money,like they did in Canada for protesting, slippery edge giving governments control.

• Haha
Reactions: Trudi and Leenie
It would be a sorry state if they take away cash. The people using the cards would probably start charging more then for using cards. We would be stuck so I thank those people for sticking up for paying cash. Go somewhere else.
It may be too late to turn back the clock - we're stuck with it

Reactions: Ricci
I really have no use for cash!

All of my transactions are being done electronically. Depending on the type of purchase, I may do a credit card transaction, or use my credit card to access my savings account (notably Aldi).

All of my bills are paid in the comfort of my home by accessing my bank accounts on my computer and wherever possible - for example phone bills, I will set up recurring payments to take place either quarterly or monthly.

As I said, i have no use for cash.

Reactions: Ricci