IGA’s winter price slash warms up Australian grocery aisles

As the chill of winter begins to settle across Australia, one supermarket chain is heating up the competition in the grocery aisles.

IGA, a familiar name to many Aussies, has made a major move to compete with the supermarket giants Woolworths and Coles by slashing the prices of thousands of popular products.

This bold strategy, aimed at easing shoppers' cost of living during the colder months, could be a game-changer for consumers looking to stretch their dollars further.

IGA's initiative, dubbed ‘Low Prices Every Day’, is not just a fleeting sale but a commitment to keep prices down on over 3,000 products until July 30 of this year.

This means that shoppers could enjoy consistent savings on a range of items without worrying about the end date of a sale.

LP_Header.png
IGA has lowered prices on over 3,000 products under its ‘Low Prices Every Day’ campaign until July 30, 2024. Credits: IGA

For example, Heinz Big Red Tomato Soup Can 420g, a winter staple for many, was reduced from $2.50 to a more wallet-friendly $2.

Other items like Maggi Recipe Bases 35g and 2 Minute Noodle 12 Packs remain competitively priced at $1.70 and $10 respectively.

However, the savings don't stop there. The price cuts extend to everyday essentials such as butter and margarine, yoghurt, cheese, toothpaste, pet food, dishwashing liquid, nappies, and baby food.

For those who enjoy a treat now and then, Sara Lee Ice Cream, Smith's Potato Chips, and Arnott's Biscuits also offer discounts.

The full list of price-dropped items is available for shoppers to peruse here, ensuring they can plan their shopping trips and budgets accordingly.

IGA's Price Match program is another feather in its cap.

It automatically matches the lowest regular shelf price of essential comparable products at rivals Coles and Woolworths every week.

This means that small IGA stores will match the prices of 200 products, medium stores 600 items, and larger stores more than 1,200 items, ensuring that customers get a fair deal regardless of the size of the store.

This move by IGA came at a time when other supermarkets were also cutting prices.

Coles recently announced a price reduction on more than 300 products, including dinner favourites and pantry staples, for three months until June 25.

Deals included discounted lamb shanks and beef oyster blade steak.

Similarly, Woolworths dropped the prices of over 400 items, including fresh meat, fruit and veg, and autumn staples.

Deals include Woolworths Beef & Lamb Meatballs 400g ($6)—reduced from $8—and Woolworths Pork Leg Roast Boneless ($9 per kilo)—reduced from $11 per kilo, which will run until May 28.
Key Takeaways
  • IGA reduced the prices on over 3,000 products as part of its Low Prices Every Day campaign until July 30, 2024.
  • The discount initiative sees popular items reduced, including Heinz Big Red Tomato Soup Can 420g, Maggi Recipe Bases 35g, and 2 Minute Noodle 12 Packs.
  • IGA’s Price Match program also promises to match the lowest regular shelf price of essential comparable products to Coles and Woolworths each week.
  • Coles and Woolworths also cut their prices; Coles on more than 300 products and Woolworths on over 400 items, as they compete for shoppers.
Will IGA's price-slashing and price-matching initiatives encourage you to switch supermarkets, or will you remain loyal to your current choice? Have you noticed a difference in your grocery bills? Share your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
I shop around to get the lowest prices, including making use of Angel's Minimart in Bundaberg, a little supermarket backed by Anglicare that gives away fresh bread and produce donated by local businesses. Also a lot of items that may be in surplus in warehouses or close to the Use By or Best Before dates. Last week I scored a lot of heavily reduced items including Brie and Camembert cheeses for 80cents! 😁

I shop around to get the lowest prices, including making use of Angel's Minimart in Bundaberg, a little supermarket backed by Anglicare that gives away fresh bread and produce donated by local businesses. Also a lot of items that may be in surplus in warehouses or close to the Use By or Best Before dates. Last week I scored a lot of heavily reduced items including Brie and Camembert cheeses for 80cents! 😁
I'd love to go there but if you use a scooter you won't get up the steps or bus ramp hence I've been with IGA for the best part of 30 years. Even when Angels were on Walla Street I couldn't get up the steps for a cheap haircut. Happy shopping neighbour.

• Sad
Reactions: Macarj and DLHM
It is always nice when prices are dropped, this week at both Coles and Woolies you can buy for instance Maggi Recipe Bases 35g 2 for 3.30 which makes them 1.65 each for me getting two for that price will save money because that will enable me to make two meals for 3.30 instead of 3.50 I know it is only a savings of 20 cents but as my mother used to say look after the pennies and the pounds would look after themselves. Each little saving helps in the long run.

It is always nice when prices are dropped, this week at both Coles and Woolies you can buy for instance Maggi Recipe Bases 35g 2 for 3.30 which makes them 1.65 each for me getting two for that price will save money because that will enable me to make two meals for 3.30 instead of 3.50 I know it is only a savings of 20 cents but as my mother used to say look after the pennies and the pounds would look after themselves. Each little saving helps in the long run.
Your Mum was so wise,

Reactions: Macarj and DLHM
Coles Dr. Oetker Ristorante Pizzas - $9.00

Spudshed Dr. Oetker Ristorante Pizzas - $2.99

COP THAT!

I love my Spudshed! And many thanks to whoever put me onto them before I moved to Perth!

That's outrageous, is the UBD the same or similar.

My local Supa IGA was already my go-to as his meats, fish and fresh produce beats the local Woolworths hollow; not just in price but also in quality. I can understand the ever-increasing potholes in the road outside the store - everyone is making a beeline for it.

My local Supa IGA was already my go-to as his meats, fish and fresh produce beats the local Woolworths hollow; not just in price but also in quality. I can understand the ever-increasing potholes in the road outside the store - everyone is making a beeline for it.
That certainly sounds like Bundy Central. LOL

We bought some yesterday with a use by date of 17 October 2024.

Today makes four weeks that I have been in Perth. That pizza special has been in existence for that long at least.
four weeks holiday... time to come home LOL. You know you are driving me nuts trying to work out which of my market friends you are. I'd give the world to hear your voice. PRETTY PLEASE WITH A CHERRY ON TOP LOL

• Haha
Reactions: Veggiepatch
My local IGA has to be the worst they try to charge full price on the specials ,it was taken over a few months ago by an Indian family, you have to keep an eye when they ring up the prices.or pay full price. I’m always on my guard.