Iconic Woodstock Legend and 'Brand New Key' singer Melanie passes away at 76

The world of music mourns the loss of a true icon, Melanie Safka-Schekeryk, known to her fans simply as Melanie. She passed away on January 23, 2024, at the age of 76.

The singer-songwriter rose to fame in the wake of the legendary Woodstock festival. She topped the charts with her unforgettable hit 'Brand New Key' and the Rolling Stones cover 'Ruby Tuesday’.

Melanie's children, Leilah, Jeordie, and Beau Jarred, announced the sad news, using a term of endearment their mother often used when addressing her fans.

'Dear ones, this is the hardest post for us to write, and there are so many things we want to say, first, and there’s no easy way except to say it…Mum passed, peacefully, out of this world and into the next on January 23rd, 2024.'

The cause of her death was not immediately disclosed.

SDC 1.png
May Melanie rest in peace. Image source: X/@In___Memoriam.

Her children remembered her as 'one of the most talented, strong and passionate women of the era,' noting that 'every word she wrote, every note she sang reflected that.'

They also urged fans to light a candle in honour of their mother yesterday, January 24, at 10 p.m. Central Time, as a tribute to the woman who once sang about candles in the rain.

Born Melanie Anne Safka in Astoria, Queens, in 1947, Melanie graduated from high school in New Jersey in 1964.

Her parents insisted she pursue a college education, leading her to study acting at the American Academy of Dramatic Arts.

However, her passion for music remained undimmed, and she continued to perform at local folk clubs of Greenwich Village, a popular platform that launched the careers of artists like Bob Dylan and Peter, Paul and Mary.

Melanie's breakthrough came in 1969 when she signed with Buddah Records.

Her single 'Bobo's Party' topped the charts in France and gained popularity across Europe, leading to television performances and further exposure.

But it was her performance at the iconic Woodstock Music and Art Fair that same year that truly catapulted her into the limelight.

Melanie was one of only three solo female acts to grace the stage at Woodstock, an experience that inspired her first US hit, 'Lay Down (Candles in the Rain)', featuring the Edwin Hawkins singers.
Key Takeaways
  • Melanie, the folk and pop singer-songwriter who rose to fame after her performance at Woodstock, has passed away at age 76.
  • Her children announced her peaceful passing on January 23, 2024, remembering her as a supremely talented and passionate artist.
  • Melanie is celebrated for her top hits, including 'Lay Down (Candles in the Rain)' and 'Brand New Key,' which have become iconic songs of their era.
  • In memory of Melanie, her children asked fans to light candles yesterday, January 24 at 10 p.m. Central Time, as a tribute to her enduring influence and musical legacy.
As we remember Melanie, we celebrate not just her music but her spirit and the remarkable legacy she has left behind.

Her songs, her voice, and her message will continue to inspire and resonate with generations to come.

As her children poignantly put it, 'Our world is much dimmer, the colours of a dreary, rainy Tennessee pale with her absence today, but we know that she is still here, smiling down on all of us, on all of you, from the stars.'

May she rest in peace.

Sponsored
When I first joined SDC, I stated to Sethia that I was a person who was outspoken and said it how it is. No pretensions or fakery. Armed with facts and observation, I will always have the back of any quality poster in this forum, to the extent that I will relinquish my SDC membership. Some tosser gave it to @Leenie and @Knell, whom I both admire. Well, he hasn't been back. No tears from this little black duck!
The tosser ‘gave me’ nothing apart from a very slight twinge of pity for him. His last broadcast, which he delusionally took as his lap of honour, was in fact his lap of shame!

The world of music mourns the loss of a true icon, Melanie Safka-Schekeryk, known to her fans simply as Melanie. She passed away on January 23, 2024, at the age of 76.

The singer-songwriter rose to fame in the wake of the legendary Woodstock festival. She topped the charts with her unforgettable hit 'Brand New Key' and the Rolling Stones cover 'Ruby Tuesday’.

Melanie's children, Leilah, Jeordie, and Beau Jarred, announced the sad news, using a term of endearment their mother often used when addressing her fans.

'Dear ones, this is the hardest post for us to write, and there are so many things we want to say, first, and there’s no easy way except to say it…Mum passed, peacefully, out of this world and into the next on January 23rd, 2024.'

View attachment 39914

Her children remembered her as 'one of the most talented, strong and passionate women of the era,' noting that 'every word she wrote, every note she sang reflected that.'

They also urged fans to light a candle in honour of their mother yesterday, January 24, at 10 p.m. Central Time, as a tribute to the woman who once sang about candles in the rain.

Born Melanie Anne Safka in Astoria, Queens, in 1947, Melanie graduated from high school in New Jersey in 1964.

Her parents insisted she pursue a college education, leading her to study acting at the American Academy of Dramatic Arts.

However, her passion for music remained undimmed, and she continued to perform at local folk clubs of Greenwich Village, a popular platform that launched the careers of artists like Bob Dylan and Peter, Paul and Mary.

Her single 'Bobo's Party' topped the charts in France and gained popularity across Europe, leading to television performances and further exposure.

But it was her performance at the iconic Woodstock Music and Art Fair that same year that truly catapulted her into the limelight.

Melanie was one of only three solo female acts to grace the stage at Woodstock, an experience that inspired her first US hit, 'Lay Down (Candles in the Rain)', featuring the Edwin Hawkins singers.
Key Takeaways

• Melanie, the folk and pop singer-songwriter who rose to fame after her performance at Woodstock, has passed away at age 76.
  • Her children announced her peaceful passing on January 23, 2024, remembering her as a supremely talented and passionate artist.
  • Melanie is celebrated for her top hits, including 'Lay Down (Candles in the Rain)' and 'Brand New Key,' which have become iconic songs of their era.
  • In memory of Melanie, her children asked fans to light candles yesterday, January 24 at 10 p.m. Central Time, as a tribute to her enduring influence and musical legacy.
As we remember Melanie, we celebrate not just her music but her spirit and the remarkable legacy she has left behind.

Her songs, her voice, and her message will continue to inspire and resonate with generations to come.

As her children poignantly put it, 'Our world is much dimmer, the colours of a dreary, rainy Tennessee pale with her absence today, but we know that she is still here, smiling down on all of us, on all of you, from the stars.'

May she rest in peace.
This is so sad. I saw her twice in the 70s/80s in Brisbane Australia.
Her songs always resonated with me.

Nice to see you get away with using fk in your posts I did same and got told told off by Sethia. She Threatened to cut me out of posting. On here. Such language will not be tolerated she said in the conversations. I could have been saying flik or fook not the swear word as she stated. Little upstart.🤣
Could try putting in the word fornication instead.

View attachment 39914

Key Takeaways

May she rest in peace.

View attachment 39914

Key Takeaways

May she rest in peace.
I absolutely love this beautiful soul and will be forever grateful for her music.I was extremely lucky to see her at a small venue near where I live about 7 years ago? I thought I’d died and gone to heaven.I listened to her music whilst studying to be an RN in the late 70’s ..early 80’s and some of the best memories I have are listening to her in a kombi driving up the Pacific Coast of Australia stopping at beaches and loving nature at her best. Thank you Melanie for the best memories and I hope to see in again one day if I’m lucky enough to go where you are now.I will pray for children at this sad time for them..God Bless.

I have heard the song Brand New Key..back in the day but can't say I ever knew the name. Not my music but RIP.

Reactions: Veggiepatch
Suzanne Rose, I just sang this to your video as I like to do a bit of you tube karaoki now and then. I'm adding this to my repertoire now. I also used to skate at Canterbury rink. Fun times.
I also choose this to sing when we do karaoke.

What year did you skate at Canterbury. I started skating when I was 12 , 1973 through to 1976

Do you live in the area

I also choose this to sing when we do karaoke.

What year did you skate at Canterbury. I started skating when I was 12 , 1973 through to 1976

Do you live in the area
Hi Suzanne rose, I used to live at Allawah until I moved to Forster at the end o 1972. As far as I remember I skated at Canterbury for maybe 3 or 4 years as I stated skating at Hurlstone Park when I was 14 and then Burwood and friends and I tried out a few other rinks that popped up from time to time. I started skating at Canterbury when it first opened. The last time I skated there was when I visited Sydney in 1976 when I went there with my sister, a friend and then 5 year old nephew. I still have my ice skates and roller skates in my wardrobe as we had a roller skating rink in Forster in the 80's. Sadly I now have arthritis and my balance is not the best. My mum was a champion dancer on roller skates.

• Wow
Reactions: Veggiepatch
Hi Suzanne rose, I used to live at Allawah until I moved to Forster at the end o 1972. As far as I remember I skated at Canterbury for maybe 3 or 4 years as I stated skating at Hurlstone Park when I was 14 and then Burwood and friends and I tried out a few other rinks that popped up from time to time. I started skating at Canterbury when it first opened. The last time I skated there was when I visited Sydney in 1976 when I went there with my sister, a friend and then 5 year old nephew. I still have my ice skates and roller skates in my wardrobe as we had a roller skating rink in Forster in the 80's. Sadly I now have arthritis and my balance is not the best. My mum was a champion dancer on roller skates.
Forster is a much nicer place than Allawah. I have a friend in Arncliffe right next to Allawah.
You wouldn't recognise Allawah now