Grandma's gift to grandson makes him instant millionaire: ‘I'm just in so much shock’

Imagine receiving a birthday present that changes your life in an instant.

For one lucky grandson in Armidale, New South Wales, this scenario became a reality when his grandmother's gift turned out to be a $1 million lotto ticket.

The family's story is a heartwarming tale of luck and love, reminding us all of the joy that can come from giving

The story of this heartwarming family moment begins with a simple yet thoughtful birthday present.

The grandmother decided to gift her grandson a ticket for his special day. Little did she know, this gesture would change his life forever.

shutterstock_2122844132.jpg
The man's grandmother changed his life forever with her gift. Credit: Shutterstock

'It's got to be the best present I've ever received,' the grandson exclaimed, still reeling from the shock of his newfound fortune.

The moment he scanned the ticket online and saw the seven-figure prize, he was convinced it was a technical glitch.

'When it said I had won $1 million, I didn't believe it. I thought it was just an error, so to have it confirmed is just crazy,' he shared.

The win was so overwhelming that it even affected his workday.

'I had to knock off early today. I'm just in so much shock,' he said, trying to grasp the reality of his life-changing luck.

Interestingly, the grandson isn't a regular lottery player.

‘It's great because I don't normally play Lotto. I'll occasionally play Powerball when it's big, but that's about it,’ he said.

‘This is amazing. I'll be able to buy a house.’

The winning numbers that turned the ticket into a golden pass were 28, 43, 4, 37, 38, and 15, with supplementary numbers 16 and 33, drawn on Wednesday, 15 May.

Birthday surprises can turn an event from simple to extraordinary, especially for one father and son.

In a previous story, a dad’s birthday took a spectacular turn when he received a $5 scratch card from his son, and later revealed he won the jackpot. You can read more about this story here.
Key Takeaways

• A grandmother gifted her grandson a $1 million lotto ticket for his birthday.
  • The grandson from Armidale won the division one prize in a Monday and Wednesday lotto draw.
  • He was initially in disbelief at his win, thinking it was an error when he first scanned the ticket online.
  • The lucky winner mentioned that with the winnings, he would be able to afford to buy a house.
Have you ever been gifted a lottery ticket that turned out to be a winner? What would you do if you suddenly became a millionaire overnight? Share your stories and dreams in the comments below!

Sponsored
I have only small , I think the highest amount I've ever won is around $60.

If I ever won the big one I would share it out amongst my family.

I had a friend whose parents won the lottery and that was life changing for them. They purchased their first house.

My daughters inlaws won the lottery jackpot not once but twice. Who has that hind off luck !!!

I had someone say to me once not to buy lottery tickets as gifts because you’re giving your luck away. I so don’t agree. I would be over the moon if someone I cared about won enough to change their life with a gift I gave them.

Not sure if I've shared this experience before...
Within 3 weeks of arriving in Australia, 28 years ago, I was tempted to buy a scratchie for the very first time, whilst shopping for groceries.
After picking up my kids from school, via bus transport we arrived home when I decided to scratch the card.
Lo and behold, I scratched 3 bags of gold and won $5,000...!!!!
I excitedly waited for my (then) husband to get home. Retrieving the ticket from the dining room table, I then noticed that the 'Void if Removed' section was removed..., scratched off by my curious daughter. who was 5 at the time.

Having just arrived in the country of my future home-to-be and awaiting, to eventually get my citizenship, I was reluctant to create waves or possibly be accused of doing something illegal.
My nerves eventually got the better of me and I THREW THE TICKET IN THE BIN!!!!
Months later when I was in another stationery store, I told the owner what had happened.
He told me they would have accepted it in that condition after all!
I hope someone may have found it because, when I threw it out I didn't tear it up...

PS: Please be gentle towards me when responding. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Not sure if I've shared this experience before...
Within 3 weeks of arriving in Australia, 28 years ago, I was tempted to buy a scratchie for the very first time, whilst shopping for groceries.
After picking up my kids from school, via bus transport we arrived home when I decided to scratch the card.
Lo and behold, I scratched 3 bags of gold and won $5,000...!!!!
I excitedly waited for my (then) husband to get home. Retrieving the ticket from the dining room table, I then noticed that the 'Void if Removed' section was removed..., scratched off by my curious daughter. who was 5 at the time.

Having just arrived in the country of my future home-to-be and awaiting, to eventually get my citizenship, I was reluctant to create waves or possibly be accused of doing something illegal.
My nerves eventually got the better of me and I THREW THE TICKET IN THE BIN!!!!
Months later when I was in another stationery store, I told the owner what had happened.
He told me they would have accepted it in that condition after all!
I hope someone may have found it because, when I threw it out I didn't tear it up...
Oh no poor you🤦

many years ago I bought a lotto ticket for Sat night,,,I was so excited when I checked it next morning,,2 prizes but combining both didn't pay much ,,one set of numbers I had usually paid $1000 +,,yes I was disappointed but got my money back,,,I wish that young man well in his life