Debate rages over access to free sport: Aussies face potential restrictions on major events

As the digital landscape evolves, so, too, does the way people consume their favourite sports and cultural events.

However, for many Australians, particularly those over 60 who have grown up with the tradition of free-to-air television, the potential changes to how we access these events could mark a significant shift in our viewing habits.

Nationals MP Barnaby Joyce recently raised concerns that millions of Australians could be blocked from watching major sporting events such as the AFL and Olympics unless amendments are made to the current anti-siphoning laws.

These laws, which have been in place since the introduction of subscription TV in Australia in the 1990s, were designed to ensure that key cultural and sporting events remained accessible to the public without additional costs.

The issue lies in the digital rights associated with broadcasting. While the current bill prevents streaming giants like Amazon, Apple, and Disney from snapping up exclusive 'broadcast rights' to major events, it doesn't stop them from acquiring exclusive digital rights.

This loophole could potentially lock out viewers who rely on free services such as 7plus, 9Now, and 10Play to catch their favourite sports.

photo_20240513_084626_0000.png
Nationals MP Barnaby Joyce urged the protection of Australians' right to watch major sporting and cultural events for free amid discussions in federal parliament on amendments to anti-siphoning laws. Credits: Shutterstock

During a segment on Sunrise, Mr Joyce argued that Australians deserve to watch free sport and urged journalists at free-to-air networks to hold the government accountable.

‘I hate to say it, ABC, Channel 7, News Corp, Channel 9—they do the investigative journalism so people like myself and Tanya, you can keep an eye on us,’ he stated.

‘There are no journalists in your local town or suburb from Netflix or Stan or Binge.’

‘If your journalists dig into how the nation works, you have to make sure enterprises like that make money and if they don’t have free-to-air sport, they won’t make money.’

‘It is important we can watch the AFL or NRL grand final. It is really important as a free-to-air station that you make government (do the right thing),’ Mr Joyce added.

Environment and Water Minister Tanya Plibersek hesitated to commit to strengthening the laws, with Sunrise host Nat Barr asking her, ‘Tanya, can you assure people of free sports viewing if they're using an app?’

‘That’s really a question for Michelle Rowland, the Communications Minister,’ Ms Plibersek responded.

In response to the looming threat, free-to-air networks Seven, Nine, and Ten banded together this week to launch an advertising campaign titled 'Free Sport Is On The Line'.

This campaign aims to lobby the federal government to amend the proposed changes to the anti-siphoning bill.

The campaign's message is clear: the government must recognise the shift in how Australians watch TV and extend the amendments to include free streaming.

Jeff Howard, Managing Director and CEO of Seven West, emphasised the need for the government to acknowledge the evolving ways Australians consume television.

‘It must recognise the way people watch sport is changing and extend the amendments to the anti-siphoning regime to include free streaming,’ he pointed out.

‘(The problem) is very simple, the bill only guarantees free sports for Australians who have an aerial. It does not guarantee people will get free sport if they choose to stream it over the internet.’

‘No aerial is going to mean no access to free sport…the clock is ticking as people increasingly use the internet to watch sport, they are going to have to pay unless the government acts now,’ Mr Howard continued.

Echoing this sentiment, Nine CEO Mike Sneesby asserted, ‘Australian audiences need to be able to watch sport for free whenever and however they choose to enjoy it.’

‘We need the government to deliver the anti-siphoning framework that ensures we can continue to provide this for all Australians.’

Network Ten President Beverley McGarvey also agreed, saying, ‘Australians’ free access to the Australian Formula One Grand Prix or the Matildas and Socceroos shouldn’t be governed by how they choose to access our channels.’

As the debate continues, more information can be found on Free TV Australia's Free For Everyone website, which details the campaign and provides updates on the situation.

As millions of Australians face potential restrictions on watching major sporting events such as AFL and the Olympics, concerns arise about the accessibility of these cultural staples.

While some eagerly await the excitement of the footy season, others find themselves dreading it.

According to a recent study, approximately 20 per cent of Australians describe themselves as ‘sport haters’.

This disparity in attitudes towards sports highlights the diverse preferences among Australians and underscores the importance of ensuring access to entertainment for all.
Key Takeaways
  • Nationals MP Barnaby Joyce called for the protection of Australians' right to watch major sporting and cultural events for free, as amendments to anti-siphoning laws are being discussed in federal parliament.
  • The current bill could allow streaming services to acquire exclusive digital rights, potentially locking out millions who currently watch sports for free on platforms like 7plus, 9Now, and 10Play.
  • Free-to-air networks Seven, Nine, and Ten launched an ad campaign urging the government to amend the bill to include free streaming rights, highlighting a shift in how Australians watch TV.
  • Network executives emphasised the importance of providing free access to sports for Australians, regardless of whether they watch via traditional broadcasting or online streaming.
How do you feel about the potential changes to how we watch our beloved sports? Have you made the switch to streaming, or do you prefer the reliability of free-to-air? Let's discuss these in the comments below and ensure that our voices are heard in this critical conversation.

• Sad
Reactions: NotNats and Ezzy
Sponsored
I can just see all the residents in aged care sitting in dull rooms with no TV. While the ladies are at their craft and knitting, the men will be stuck in isolation with nothing to watch. What on earth is going wrong with this country?

Reactions: PattiB
I think popular sports such as AFL, cricket & rugby should be available on free to air for whoever wants to watch it. I’m not a great AFL but my son, brother & husband are so I read while they all enjoy whatever is on. My son has decided that I can support the same AFL team as him so I have heaps of Richmond (😂) merchandise but I do enjoy the cricket. I’m fortunate to have Foxtel but not everyone can afford it so definitely keep sport free for everyone who enjoys it.

Reactions: Clancieblue
I can just see all the residents in aged care sitting in dull rooms with no TV. While the ladies are at their craft and knitting, the men will be stuck in isolation with nothing to watch. What on earth is going wrong with this country?
I could take this comment in two ways.

Firstly, do you think that men are sports driven zombies while the women are artistically engaged individuals who make good use of their time?

Or, is it that the demise of free-to-air TV sport will diminish the daily pleasure of men (and some women) to the detriment of their wellbeing?

I could take this comment in two ways.

Firstly, do you think that men are sports driven zombies while the women are artistically engaged individuals who make good use of their time?

Or, is it that the demise of free-to-air TV sport will diminish the daily pleasure of men (and some women) to the detriment of their wellbeing?
Having worked in aged care for 36yrs + I have seen programming aimed more toward activities for women (not all) and I do feel men get left out a lot. I think especially for men the opportunity to retreat and watch the sport is important and a shame if they can't. Yes, some women like to watch sport as well, but will often choose another activity over it.
I don't think men are zombies, I think they are overlooked as they are always outnumbered in aged care.
I would love to tell you about the many interesting people I have helped care for, but that would be giving away their privacy, right back from participating in the 2nd world war, politics and the Olympics.

Thank God I don't watch this type of crap - and NO I'm not a sports fan. Especially when none of them deserve that kind of money.

• Haha
Reactions: Veggiepatch
Thank God I don't watch this type of crap - and NO I'm not a sports fan. Especially when none of them deserve that kind of money.
And Taylor Swallow deserves more than $500 per two hour performance? She's not even worth that!

If Married At First Sight, Masterchef, Farmer Wants A Heifer or The Block floats your boat, so be it!

Watching George Calombaris doing his Tourette's Syndrome impersonation isn't my cup of tea....