Critics reveal ATO blocking taxpayer calls—are your calls being ignored?

Imagine dialling the Australian Tax Office (ATO) for some much-needed tax guidance, only to be met with an automated message saying they're too busy to take your call.

This isn't just an occasional inconvenience; it's a systemic issue affecting one in four callers.

That's right, a staggering 25 per cent of calls to the ATO are being blocked outright.

This measure might help the ATO boast lower average wait times, but it's leaving taxpayers out in the cold.

The automated message, played over a million times this financial year, told callers that due to peak demand, the ATO could not take their call.

However, the ATO has admitted that these blocked calls aren't included in the average wait time statistics they release.

shutterstock_404278963.jpg
One in four phone calls are being blocked by ATO. Credit: Shutterstock

The ATO claimed that call blocking is used sparingly and intermittently to keep client wait times at acceptable levels.

However, critics argued that this approach fails the 'pub test'—a term referring to a standard for judging policies, proposals and decisions.

For individuals and small businesses trying to navigate the complexities of tax obligations, being unable to reach the ATO can have real financial consequences.

Gerard Brody from the Consumers' Federation of Australia said, ‘To not be able to get through on the phone is not only frustrating but it could cost people money.’

‘I don't think that kind of customer service would be acceptable for any corporate or any small business for that matter,’ Luke Achterstraat from the Council of Small Business Organisations Australia added.

The ATO isn't alone in this practice.

Services Australia, the agency that oversees Centrelink, has also been criticised for its high rates of call blocking, with one in six callers unable to get past a recorded message.

It’s reported that the average wait time for a call to be answered has soared to over 30 minutes in July and August last year, with some customers claiming they’ve waited much longer.

The data also showed that approximately 7,444,939 calls to the agency received a congestion message in the year to the end of December.

Aside from call blocking, ATO also came under scrutiny when it denied debt relief to a taxpayer facing serious financial hardship and the imminent threat of homelessness.

The agency’s actions—or lack thereof—have been criticised by the tax ombudsman, pointing out its failure to exercise its powers when dealing with vulnerable taxpayers. You can read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways
  • The Australian Tax Office (ATO) has a practice of dropping one in four calls to manage average wait times.
  • An automated message informs callers of high demand and inability to take calls, impacting over a million callers this financial year.
  • Average wait times reported by the ATO do not include the calls that are immediately dumped.
  • Critics, including consumer advocates and business leaders, criticise ATO's customer service approach as unacceptable.
Members, have you experienced your call being blocked by the ATO or other government agencies? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
Waiting times have soared in July and August 2023, well … I waited over 90 mins on Monday this week and I’m sure others have waited just as long or even longer 😡

Reactions: Macarj and DLHM
....an automated message saying they're too busy to take your call.

That's normal with ANY large business; telephones, gas, electricity, water, airline, Centrelink, you name it. Why should the ATO be excluded from the privilege of private enterprise keeping us waiting on the telephone ? It's simply good business practice; the business does not need to employ (pay) people to provide a timely answering service. Just leave a message, if you can, and we won't get back to you.

Reactions: DLHM
I had this kind of experience when trying to navigate issues to do with my mum's will. I reckon I was one of those people who call was dropped. My mobile phone kept running out of power. Not a good look ATO. As executor I had to come up with answers for people who were receiving money out of the Super.
I tried the ATO on numerous occasions, and seeing that there no face to face at offices anymore, I had no alternative than to pay an accountant to get the answers for me.
We were dealing with the loss of mum, contentious relatives who wanted money NOW, and a brick wall when looking for answers.
What are these faceless people doing? They don't deal with real people at counters anymore. The Government had no idea of the concept of by the people, for the people.

Reactions: Rob44 and DLHM
Waited 90 minutes to speak to someone at Centrelink after previously been blocked the week before. I have found Centrelink a very frustrating organisation to deal with.

• Angry
Reactions: Rob44 and DLHM
Yes I waited 45 min this morning when the call was picked up the person just said hello 4 times then hung up I heard them but it seems they could not hear me. I call back and answer was saying this was peak time call back later and cut off

It's happened to me. I attempted to visit the ATOs fortress in Chermside to talk to a human and it looked like a building site.

I was told, when I finally got through to someone, that they just don't have the staff and that the tax issue I am disputing was caused by an assessment made by a computer, robodebt style. Hasn't robodebt been declared illegal?

Don't ask the ATO for answers. They aren't talking.

Yes I waited 45 min this morning when the call was picked up the person just said hello 4 times then hung up I heard them but it seems they could not hear me. I call back and answer was saying this was peak time call back later and cut off
Tried again at 4.15 last night after going through all the options I got told peak time could not answer call and cut off

Ah well; it's peak time at home; so we don't need to pay taxes?????

7.5 million calls in one year? Look, be reasonable; that is 3 906 calls per hour! 7 500 000/48=156 250 per week; 156 250/5 =31 250 per day, and there being 7 hrs 20 minutes (make it 8 ) in a public servant's working day; that is around 3906 calls per hour, or about 65 calls per minute the poor bloke has to answer! No time to pick up the telephone before the next call comes in!

Oh, you mean that the that the ATO has more than one person answering the telephone? Allow 10 minutes per call, average. There are 48 blocks of 10 minutes in the 8-hour day and 31 250 calls coming in so you are going to need 652 people doing nothing but answering 10-minute telephone calls to get through 31 250 telephone calls per day. This will take at least 600 administrative staff to manage those answering the telephone, this being Australia where the ratio of university lecturer to admin staff is very close to 1:1.........