Cash-paying customer erupts in anger after outrageously long checkout delay at Coles

In an age where digital transactions are becoming the norm, many of us hold fast to the traditional ways of handling money. Cash, as some would assert, remains 'king'.

However, a recent incident at a Coles supermarket has left one cash-paying customer fuming and vowing to shun self-service checkouts for good.

The incident unfolded when the customer, preferring the tactile certainty of banknotes over the impersonal swipe of a card, approached the self-serve checkout at her local Coles.

To her dismay, she found no manned registers open and was compelled to use the automated service.

After feeding cash into the machine for her groceries, the machine jammed, refusing to dispense the required change.

Coles.png
A shopper expressed frustration over a 30-minute delay when using cash at the self-checkout counter at Coles. Image Source: Facebook / Coles

The shopper's frustration was palpable as she recounted the ordeal on social media, detailing how the machine's malfunction led to a standstill that lasted nearly half an hour.

‘Went to Coles. Nothing else open in town. There was no one at the registers, so I had to use self-checkout, which I never use,’ she recounted.

‘I put in (three) $50 (bills), then (the) machine stopped. I refused the offer to (redo) the transaction on a card. They had my money! So, almost 30 minutes later, they finally gave me change out of the till.’

The situation was only rectified after the intervention of two Coles staff members, who had to open the till to manually provide her with change.

She added, ‘Never again, under any circumstances, will I use self-checkout! Cash is still king.’

Coles self checkout.jpg
The frustrated customer’s issue was finally resolved when two employees manually opened the till and gave her her change. Image Source: Facebook / Call Out Cashless Businesses

The customer's post struck a chord with social media users, sparking a heated debate about the merits of self-service technology versus human cashiers.

‘I point blank refuse to use robots, I’ll always go manned,’ said one commenter.

‘Should charge them for the time wasted. What a joke,’ another user lamented.

A third user said, ‘You live and learn. Self-serve checkouts never worked for me, now I always use manned checkout with cash.’

Despite the uproar, it's understood that Coles has no intention of phasing out cash options at their self-service checkouts.

This isn’t the first time Cole’s self-checkout policy has frustrated shoppers. Many prefer manned checkouts, lamenting customer service’s ‘death’.

This one shopper even believes that the added ‘security’ measures in self-checkout policies imply shoppers are potential thieves. You can read about it here.
Key Takeaways

• A Coles customer expressed frustration over a nearly 30-minute delay at a self-serve checkout when paying with cash.
  • The incident occurred because the self-serve machine failed to dispense change after the customer inserted $50 notes.
  • Coles staff eventually resolved the issue, but the customer vowed never to use the self-serve checkout again, preferring manned cash transactions.
  • The shopper's experience sparked heated debate among social media users, with many expressing a preference for manned checkouts and cash payments.
Have you had similar experiences with self-service checkouts? Do you prefer to pay with cash or a card? Share your thoughts and stories in the comments below.

Sponsored
I use self-serve all the time. I find them efficient, fast, I can pack my groceries my way, and there is always a staff member there to help if the machine doesn't like you. I think, like it or not, the way technology is heading we just have to deal with these issues. There are more things of concern in the world, with manmade famine happening in Gaza, than worry about self-serve checkouts.

I use self-serve all the time. I find them efficient, fast, I can pack my groceries my way, and there is always a staff member there to help if the machine doesn't like you. I think, like it or not, the way technology is heading we just have to deal with these issues. There are more things of concern in the world, with manmade famine happening in Gaza, than worry about self-serve checkouts.
I prefer self-serve too. I very rarely have a full shopping trolley; that’s the only time I go to a manned checkout unless the self-serve has a long queue.

Reactions: freedy50
I can never find staff on the floor ,I even wait at the entrance to the storeroom to no avail so I just dont buy the item in question
Sometimes I feel like showing supermarket staff the floor....

Especially when checkout operators squash your bread into a unrecognisable lump.

My abuse towards the operator, in this instance, earnt me a six month ban from Woolworths Dandenong Plaza last year. Funny how the police were there within a minute of my tirade.

• Haha
Reactions: Littleboy8 and DLHM
Sometimes I feel like showing supermarket staff the floor....

Especially when checkout operators squash your bread into a unrecognisable lump.

My abuse towards the operator, in this instance, earnt me a six month ban from Woolworths Dandenong Plaza last year. Funny how the police were there within a minute of my tirade.
You must’ve spooked the staff. 😂

🤣🤣WOW!! here we go again..outraged little snowflake that had to get empathy from strangers! You failed to mention if the store was busy? You failed to thank those that did help you? You failed to make a complaint...but instead chose to put it on social media.....🤔🤔🤔🤔 and from an ex staff member YOU have no idea of the procedure it takes to get money out of those machines...next time I suggest that you think about it BEFORE going for sympathy votes with strangers
What if she had frozen items. They would be defrosted by the time she was able to finish the transaction.
I wouldn't have been happy either.

Reactions: DLHM
Another stupid anti checkout, cash is king, person with their fake anger about something so trivial!!! And wanting her '15 minutes' of fame!! :rolleyes:

Self checkout and paying by card is king!!(y):D

Don't lose or drown your phone, have it stolen , or have it shit itself, technophiles!

There goes your digital wallet - driver's licence, Medicare card, Centrelink card, access to your money, loyalty apps, payment apps (Amazon, Google and Apple Pay, PalPay and AfterPay) along with other "dumb" features. And you need a "smartphone" 🤪 . Don't bother if you have an Android phone!

• Wow
I will never use self serve, the prices in coles have gone up a lot and they are savings millions on not putting on staff, we there Customer do not get any discount for serving ourselves but pay higher prizes, everyday there is a price rise again then when they have specials on I find even they are going up, or the put less in the packages, coles get bulk discount buy buying various companies and can keep the prices down but they won’t as everybody in business just wants to make the big profit and they really don’t care about the customer they just want you to buy

Reactions: SandyM and Abby2
🤣🤣WOW!! here we go again..outraged little snowflake that had to get empathy from strangers! You failed to mention if the store was busy? You failed to thank those that did help you? You failed to make a complaint...but instead chose to put it on social media.....🤔🤔🤔🤔 and from an ex staff member YOU have no idea of the procedure it takes to get money out of those machines...next time I suggest that you think about it BEFORE going for sympathy votes with strangers
Not nice to say like that