Aussies slashing travel budgets amid cost-of-living woes this year, poll says

We’re a month into the new year, and, as predicted, Australians are still beset with the high cost of living that plagued the country in 2022.

All across the nation, many are resorting to cost-cutting measures in an effort to keep up with sky-high inflation rates.

Understandably, this leads to necessary lifestyle changes and belt-tightening, with one casualty being travel.

According to a new survey by Power Retail, Aussies are cutting back on their travel budgets in order to make ends meet this year.

The research found that although two thirds (66%) of Australians had intended to take a trip domestically or overseas this year, they'd be doing so on a much tighter budget.

When it comes to domestic travel, half of those surveyed revealed that they want to spend $2000 or less this year.

Regarding long-haul trips overseas, two-thirds of the Aussies surveyed stated that they’d allocate less than $10,000 for a single trip — a sign of how costly life can be in this day and age. (Though we have to say, having $10,000 set aside for an international trip is an enviable position to be in…)

pexels-photo-5910688.jpg
The high cost of living Australians currently face is forcing many to rethink their purchases. Image Credit: Pexels/Anna Tarazevich

In terms of location, around 75 per cent said they were looking at at least two trips on home soil, while just a bit over half at 56 per cent are considering one international trip.

Commenting on the research, Grant Arnott — the CEO of Power Retail’s parent company Global Marketplace — told Yahoo! Finance: 'Australians are keen to travel after a few years of lockdowns and they are doing so in droves.’

‘But they are being met with much higher costs than anticipated and their overall cost of living has also increased, whether that be increased interest rates, rents, higher fuel costs and general inflation.’

Arnott said the scenario right now for most Aussies is providing ample reasons for tightening their belts.

‘People are being more conservative. While they want to travel, they don’t want to overspend at this point in time until they see a levelling out of inflation and interest rates,’ he said.

Power Retail found in its poll that the high cost of living is the top factor hindering Aussies from travelling locally (61 per cent) and internationally (53 per cent).

pexels-photo-113020.jpg
Some Aussies in a recent poll admitted they’re planning to spend less for domestic and international trips. Image Credit: Pexels/Pascal Borener

Meanwhile, the high 7.8 per cent inflation rate posted last year has also triggered concerns the Reserve Bank of Australia might raise interest rates again in response.

Having said that, the government believes that this most recent figure is the ceiling for the rise in prices of goods and services for Australia, and that inflationary pressures are expected to lessen as 2023 progresses. Time will tell.

The silver lining for travellers?

Undoubtedly the uncertain nature of the coming months as far as Australian consumers are concerned will spur more reserved attitudes towards spending for travel.

Arnott says that this, in conjunction with ‘normality resuming’ from COVID, will encourage players in the travel sector like airlines and tour operators to up their marketing game.

‘We are going to see more packages and more travel operators — whether that’s airlines or hotel groups or other tourism operators — starting to play with price more and I think that will be timely for consumers who haven’t been able to travel,’ he said.

Key Takeaways
  • The rising cost of living is forcing Aussies to cut back on their travel spending.
  • Half of Aussies surveyed in a recent poll set on travelling this year planned to spend $2,000 or less on domestic trips this year, while two thirds planned to spend less than $10,000 on international travel.
  • The rising cost of living was the main factor preventing Aussies from travelling, both internationally and domestically.
  • Some experts are looking forward to market adjustments in the travel industry for 2023 with better deals and cheaper flights expected due to high cost-of-living pressures and post-pandemic growth in the airline industry.
On a similar note, airline and aviation industry expert Neil Hansford also predicts cheaper flights in the coming months because of increased capacity on flights, especially now that we’re past the hectic Christmas holiday season.

Expedia Group Managing Director Daniel Finch also earlier advised Aussies to book domestic and international flights in advance by several months as an added tip to save money.

‘If you are booking domestic flights, booking at least three months in advance you can save around 25 per cent, and international a minimum of six months in advance you can (also) save 25 per cent,’ he said.

Well, we do hope before anything else that the coming months see less strain on Aussies wallets and bank accounts!

pexels-photo-1008155.jpg
Some experts foresee better deals and cheaper flights for Australians in the coming months as the travel industry adjusts to high cost-of-living pressures and moves forward from the COVID pandemic. Image Credit: Pexels/Oleksandr Pidvalnyi

In the meantime, you might also want to read about one woman’s solo travel adventure around the world from Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia to London, England — at 60 years old!

You could also find out how one man’s trip from Canberra to Perth by plane had him in for an experience he’d never forget.

So, what is your reaction to this story? If you have travel plans this year, how has the recent economic situation affected your outlook?

Tell us in the comments section below!

Reactions: Ricci and BJM
Sponsored
It seems pretty obvious to me that those with cash for travelling are not pensioners on the age pension. With the best will in the world after paying the bills to keep a roof over your head, food to keep you healthy, health costs and prescriptions there is precious little if any left for saving. I am not in the habit of paying hundreds to keep a roof over my head then hundreds more to sleep somewhere else. In the current climate holidays are the stuff of dreams along with unicorns and fairies! ;)

If you can afford a holiday then good luck to you.
I think when someone is paying off a mortgage can they really afford a holiday!

I would take my family on holidays either up the coast or down and it wasn't every year.

Our first priority was paying off our mortgage incase something happened so overseas trips were never in the quotation...not for 15 at least.

Even now our getaways are in Australia and usually Nelson's Bay or Lake Illawarra

Travelling overseas doesn't appeal to me anymore. Our neighbours retired last year and flew to Italy for 4 weeks holiday. Came back saying it was lovely, but not travelling that far again. They couldn't get over how there isn't a health food law for owners & their dogs being allowed in every cafe and restaurant they ate at.
Dogs rule in Italy.

Travelling overseas doesn't appeal to me anymore. Our neighbours retired last year and flew to Italy for 4 weeks holiday. Came back saying it was lovely, but not travelling that far again. They couldn't get over how there isn't a health food law for owners & their dogs being allowed in every cafe and restaurant they ate at.
Dogs rule in Italy.
It's fascinating how different cultural norms can really shape our travel experiences! Italy's embrace of dogs is definitely unique and might take some getting used to for travelers from places with stricter regulations. It's all part of the adventure of exploring new places, though, isn't it?

It's fascinating how different cultural norms can really shape our travel experiences! Italy's embrace of dogs is definitely unique and might take some getting used to for travelers from places with stricter regulations. It's all part of the adventure of exploring new places, though, isn't it?
Having never visited Italy, but visited other European countries I can't say. My neighbours were there for 4 weeks and got used to the dogs everywhere. They own a boxer dog themselves. However, they didn't like them in cafes/restaurants as they weed and barked while having lunch or dinner.
Perhaps you might like that part of the adventure though.

Having never visited Italy, but visited other European countries I can't say. My neighbours were there for 4 weeks and got used to the dogs everywhere. They own a boxer dog themselves. However, they didn't like them in cafes/restaurants as they weed and barked while having lunch or dinner.
Perhaps you might like that part of the adventure though.
It seems like immersing yourself in Italy's canine culture could offer quite the adventure! While some may find the presence of dogs in cafes and restaurants charming, others might prefer a quieter dining experience. Your neighbors seemed to have a mixed experience with it. Have you ever encountered a similar situation during your travels?

It seems like immersing yourself in Italy's canine culture could offer quite the adventure! While some may find the presence of dogs in cafes and restaurants charming, others might prefer a quieter dining experience. Your neighbors seemed to have a mixed experience with it. Have you ever encountered a similar situation during your travels?
I haven't actually.