Discover the top Aussie travel spots for 2023 and the trick to scoring the lowest prices

Things are finally starting to turn around here in Australia, and it couldn't be more exciting for us who are itching to get back on the road and discover all the wonderful places to explore in our great country.

We’re all eager for post-COVID normality, and that includes planning the perfect holiday getaway. But despite that, there’s still uncertainty in the air which is why it pays to do some pre-planning before you commit to any trips.

To help you get ready for your 2023 holidays, various travel experts and agencies identified the top travel destination for the year, and the one rule to get the best travel deal.

One destination has taken the spotlight with its recent post-COVID-19 lift on tourist restrictions: Japan.

After years of being limited to post-pandemic testing, Japan is now open for almost any Aussie looking for an exciting holiday.

japan.jpg
Do you have a dream destination? Credit: Tomáš Malík/Pexels

Nathan Varney, Flight Centre Travel Consultant, said he’s seeing travellers who are ‘obsessed’ with Japan and can’t wait to visit now that travel restrictions have been lifted.

However, he revealed that trips this year are more expensive and warned that it might be too late to get a good travel deal in 2023.

Aside from Japan, many couples are booking trips to dream destinations such as Bora-Bora or the Maldives.

Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, many travel destinations closed their borders to prevent the spread of the virus. Australia suffered some of the harshest travel restrictions during the lockdown period.

Thus, it comes as no surprise that many took the opportunity to pack their bags and leave the country once borders opened last year for a little bit of ‘revenge travelling’. Revenge travel is a term coined recently, and means one might travel as a way to make up for lost time during the pandemic.

australia.jpg
Domestic travellers picked Melbourne as their top destination. Credit: Catarina Sousa/Pexels

When it comes to domestic travel, Aussies picked Melbourne as their top travel goal.

Webjet CEO David Galt shared: ‘Melbourne's doing a catch-up as a holiday destination for interstate travellers, and obviously we have a lot of fabulous events.’

Mr Galt advised people to travel on a Monday or Friday if they want to head to the Victorian capital for a short stay. This is because there are fewer business people around at this time to push prices up.

New Zealand was also touted as a popular tourist destination, with many visiting their family members. Bali, despite having suffered a major blow to tourism because of lockdowns, is now also seeing a revival.

‘We’ve seen a lot of search demand for 2023,’ said Mr Galt.

Paris, New York, and Hawaii are also attracting Aussie travellers – mainly due to the influence of popular shows such as Emily in Paris, The White Lotus, and Just Like That.

Daniel Finch, the Managing Director of Expedia Group, shared a special tip to get the best deals:

‘If you are booking domestic flights, booking at least three months in advance you can save around 25 per cent, and international a minimum of six months in advance you can save 25 per cent.’
Key Takeaways

• Australia has seen a rise in travel after enduring some of the harshest travel restrictions during the COVID-19 pandemic. Binge travelling, around-the-world trips, and trips to destinations like Bora Bora and the Maldives are also proving to be popular.
  • Japan is the hottest destination of 2023 but flights there are proving expensive.
  • Aussies can expect to save money by booking their flights at least three months in advance for domestic trips, and six months in advance for international trips.
Are you planning a trip this year, members? Share with us your top travel destinations for 2023 below!

Reactions: RTS and Ricci
Sponsored
My husband wants to do a trip to Greece but I said I don't feel the times right, or my head , being stuck suffering anxiety and depression I couldn't imagine being in a plane that long or that far away from home. We are going up the coast for aweek or two .
What I want to do and I'm willing to do early next year is a train trip from Sydney to Perth either the Indian Pacific or The Ghan visit Margaret River and go to an underwater restaurant and then fly home

Reactions: terri and 52KID
I'd
My husband wants to do a trip to Greece but I said I don't feel the times right, or my head , being stuck suffering anxiety and depression I couldn't imagine being in a plane that long or that far away from home. We are going up the coast for aweek or two .
What I want to do and I'm willing to do early next year is a train trip from Sydney to Perth either the Indian Pacific or The Ghan visit Margaret River and go to an underwater restaurant and then fly home.
What I want to do and I'm willing to do early next year is a train trip from Sydney to Perth either the Indian Pacific or The Ghan visit Margaret River and go to an underwater restaurant and then fly home
I've been to Italy and I'd go to Greece before WA. The Indians Pacific trip is long and boring and Margaret River is no different than the east coast.
I've read Gerald Durrel's books about living in Greece. It sounds different to Australia and the sea is beautiful for swimming. I love Greek food and would happily eat dolmades and spanakopita, and drink retsina.
There are antianxiety meds for flying.

I'd

I've been to Italy and I'd go to Greece before WA. The Indians Pacific trip is long and boring and Margaret River is no different than the east coast.
I've read Gerald Durrel's books about living in Greece. It sounds different to Australia and the sea is beautiful for swimming. I love Greek food and would happily eat dolmades and spanakopita, and drink retsina.
There are antianxiety meds for flying.
Greece is beautiful, my husband is Greek and has been many times. I cook loads of Greek food including Dolmades and spanakopita

The idea of travelling is intoxicating but the reality can be something else. Good on you for knowing yourself and knowing that a getaway closer to home will still fill you with joy. It's not where you go but who you go with and why you go. Enjoy this beautiful country we live in.