Are you one of the many Aussies annoyed by this common habit? You're not alone!

Spatial awareness, or awareness of one's surroundings and where we are in relation to others, is a key skill for smoothly navigating public spaces.

However, for some, many Australians seem to struggle with this concept—much to the annoyance of their fellow citizens.

A frequent traveller recently took to social media to complain about Australians' lack of 'spatial awareness' despite being an Aussie himself.

He enumerated some scenarios of this habit that most people aren’t aware they’re doing.

‘Boarding and disembarking the train at snail's pace like they've got absolutely nowhere to go,’ the traveller started.

Screenshot 2023-10-10 135129.png
An Australian criticised other Australians for their poor spatial awareness. Credit: Timon Studler/Unsplash

‘Walking on the right side rather than the left, and not correcting themselves when they get too close. Stopping to talk while they take up the entire footpath with bikes and scooters, expecting you to walk around them,’ he added.

He also mentioned: ‘Standing right behind you in the register to the point where they're breathing down your neck when there's plenty of space to stand further back.’

His observations drew various reactions, including ones of sympathy from people who knew exactly he was on about.

‘I’m with you…It drives me bonkers. I almost lost it in Woolworths yesterday because there were five people standing in the middle of an aisle talking like it was a f****** park,’ a person commented on his post.

‘It blows me away every day when people stand in doorways blocking others from passing just to have a chat. There seems to be zero concept of taking a step to the side to allow the flow of people through the door,’ another wrote.

‘This is Australia's biggest flaw, in my opinion. People have 0 self-awareness or consideration for others in public. Don't get me started on people driving under the speed limit in the right lane,’ a third person complained.

A fourth person remarked: ‘I’m with you…I don’t know these people, they are strangers, why on earth would I want to stand so close to them in a queue that we’re touching? And I can’t understand why other people don’t think like that.’

On the other hand, other internet users pointed out this is not exclusive to Australia, as many other countries seem to experience the same thing.

‘I’ve just come back from a densely populated Southeast Asian city, and locals just dawdled all over the footpath, blocked it with slow walking groups, rode motorcycles, slept on it, etc. Australia is an efficient walking paradise in comparison,’ they shared.

‘Have you been overseas? I don't think it's only an Australian issue. Actually, I think we have more awareness in Australia compared to other countries,’ another argued.

A person asked, ‘Why do you think the rest of the world is any different? I've used public transport in three European states, and it is exactly the same.’

Meanwhile, those who shared similar experiences had some tips for dealing with the ‘rude’ behaviour.

One person suggested: ‘I say excuse me, as nicely as I can with a big smile, but loud enough that other people also notice like a little public shaming. Surprisingly effective.’

‘“Scuse me, coming through…” Speak loudly, don't make eye contact, just move at them without stopping,’ another wrote.

And a third offered advice specifically for shoppers: ‘If you've got a trolley just push it through them.. It usually works.’

Of course, other users gave their two cents—maybe even more—on possible explanations for this puzzling behaviour, and more than a few zeroed in on selfishness as the root cause.

‘It has NOTHING to do with spatial awareness. All of the things you’ve described are actually just a sheer lack of consideration for others,’ one user stressed.

‘It’s the typical “me, me, me” or “I’m the only person who matters” syndrome. Self-centredness…nothing more,’ they explained.

Another said: ‘It's not lack of awareness, it's being selfish and not giving a s**t.’

‘Those are all of the people who think they're really important and that's why they think they shouldn't move over an inch even if you've moved over a foot.’

‘Gosh forbid that two friends should go single file so you can remain on the footpath… Hell no. You'll have to walk on grass or the road for them because they are the most important and they should never experience any inconvenience.’

Key Takeaways
  • An Australian traveller criticised other Australians for their poor spatial awareness, indicative of their tendency to invade personal space unknowingly.
  • The man questioned why many Australians move slowly, take up entire footpaths with bikes and scooters, and hover closer than necessary in queues.
  • This prompted a wide community agreement, both from fellow Australians and tourists, highlighting their frustration at the lack of self-awareness or consideration for others in public spaces.
  • However, not everyone agreed, arguing that poor spatial awareness is not exclusively an Australian issue but occurs globally.

Members, have you ever experienced this behaviour in Australia? Do you agree that it’s an Aussie trait, or do you agree with others that you’d see the same behaviour elsewhere in the world?? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
Spatial awareness, or awareness of one's surroundings and where we are in relation to others, is a key skill for smoothly navigating public spaces.

However, for some, many Australians seem to struggle with this concept—much to the annoyance of their fellow citizens.

A frequent traveller recently took to social media to complain about Australians' lack of 'spatial awareness' despite being an Aussie himself.

He enumerated some scenarios of this habit that most people aren’t aware they’re doing.

‘Boarding and disembarking the train at snail's pace like they've got absolutely nowhere to go,’ the traveller started.

View attachment 31841
An Australian criticised other Australians for their poor spatial awareness. Credit: Timon Studler/Unsplash

‘Walking on the right side rather than the left, and not correcting themselves when they get too close. Stopping to talk while they take up the entire footpath with bikes and scooters, expecting you to walk around them,’ he added.

He also mentioned: ‘Standing right behind you in the register to the point where they're breathing down your neck when there's plenty of space to stand further back.’

His observations drew various reactions, including ones of sympathy from people who knew exactly he was on about.

‘I’m with you…It drives me bonkers. I almost lost it in Woolworths yesterday because there were five people standing in the middle of an aisle talking like it was a f****** park,’ a person commented on his post.

‘It blows me away every day when people stand in doorways blocking others from passing just to have a chat. There seems to be zero concept of taking a step to the side to allow the flow of people through the door,’ another wrote.

‘This is Australia's biggest flaw, in my opinion. People have 0 self-awareness or consideration for others in public. Don't get me started on people driving under the speed limit in the right lane,’ a third person complained.

A fourth person remarked: ‘I’m with you…I don’t know these people, they are strangers, why on earth would I want to stand so close to them in a queue that we’re touching? And I can’t understand why other people don’t think like that.’

On the other hand, other internet users pointed out this is not exclusive to Australia, as many other countries seem to experience the same thing.

‘I’ve just come back from a densely populated Southeast Asian city, and locals just dawdled all over the footpath, blocked it with slow walking groups, rode motorcycles, slept on it, etc. Australia is an efficient walking paradise in comparison,’ they shared.

‘Have you been overseas? I don't think it's only an Australian issue. Actually, I think we have more awareness in Australia compared to other countries,’ another argued.

A person asked, ‘Why do you think the rest of the world is any different? I've used public transport in three European states, and it is exactly the same.’

Meanwhile, those who shared similar experiences had some tips for dealing with the ‘rude’ behaviour.

One person suggested: ‘I say excuse me, as nicely as I can with a big smile, but loud enough that other people also notice like a little public shaming. Surprisingly effective.’

‘“Scuse me, coming through…” Speak loudly, don't make eye contact, just move at them without stopping,’ another wrote.

And a third offered advice specifically for shoppers: ‘If you've got a trolley just push it through them.. It usually works.’

Of course, other users gave their two cents—maybe even more—on possible explanations for this puzzling behaviour, and more than a few zeroed in on selfishness as the root cause.

‘It has NOTHING to do with spatial awareness. All of the things you’ve described are actually just a sheer lack of consideration for others,’ one user stressed.

‘It’s the typical “me, me, me” or “I’m the only person who matters” syndrome. Self-centredness…nothing more,’ they explained.

Another said: ‘It's not lack of awareness, it's being selfish and not giving a s**t.’

‘Those are all of the people who think they're really important and that's why they think they shouldn't move over an inch even if you've moved over a foot.’

‘Gosh forbid that two friends should go single file so you can remain on the footpath… Hell no. You'll have to walk on grass or the road for them because they are the most important and they should never experience any inconvenience.’

Key Takeaways

• An Australian traveller criticised other Australians for their poor spatial awareness, indicative of their tendency to invade personal space unknowingly.
  • The man questioned why many Australians move slowly, take up entire footpaths with bikes and scooters, and hover closer than necessary in queues.
  • This prompted a wide community agreement, both from fellow Australians and tourists, highlighting their frustration at the lack of self-awareness or consideration for others in public spaces.
  • However, not everyone agreed, arguing that poor spatial awareness is not exclusively an Australian issue but occurs globally.

Members, have you ever experienced this behaviour in Australia? Do you agree that it’s an Aussie trait, or do you agree with others that you’d see the same behaviour elsewhere in the world?? Let us know in the comments below.

Sad that someone thinks it’s ok to use a trolley as people ramming weapon.
Sad that people are calling others nasty names because they taking up a space that’s not convenient.
Glad that some are advising to use our manners and tolerance to request change to move forward.

View attachment 31841

Key Takeaways

I am not Australian, but my husband is, and he is forever standing in the doorways. I am forever asking him not to but after 45 years it still goes in one ear and out the other - this happens at home when we are out, most of the time he is very polite. I read the other day that some are calling for a "shopping time" for boomers, I don't know where these people shop but it can't be in my area it is the younger age group blocking lanes and stopping to talk on their phones.

Reactions: IAN3005 and PattiB

View attachment 31841

Key Takeaways

I call them ‘The New Entitled’

This is what drives me crazy: people who have no concept of personal space. I will go into an empty public toilet, and no matter which stall I choose, someone will always come and use the stall RIGHT NEXT TO THE ONE I'M IN! Even when there's 10 other stalls to choose from. It drives me crazy.

Last week I was in a food court on 2 occasions. There was a whole row of empty tables both times, and I chose the end table, both times and BOTH TIMES people came and sat RIGHT NEXT TO ME. They had 6 other tables to choose from, I am not interesting or charismatic, and I was not sharing my food. Leave me alone when there are tables to spare!

I work in a cinema, and so often when there's about 9 other people in the cinema, the person I'm selling tickets to will elect to sit RIGHT NEXT TO A STRANGER. I suggest to them that since they have basically 200 seats to choose from, how about giving a one-seat break to those other people and they all go "huh. Oh. Okay. I never thought of that." AARGH!

Sorry for all the shouting. This really annoys me. I just needed to get that off my chest.

View attachment 31841

Key Takeaways

I am one of those people who walks down the supermarket aisle on the left.
I don't know how many times I have to skirt around a trolley on one side and the shopper on the other looking at the shelf from a distance so they don't have to bend. It interferes with my shopping karma. LOL.
One MAJOR gripe I have is when people think it's ok to stay glued to their phone whilst walking around. Crossing streets, down paths, in shops, at coffee shops ... it just annoys the heck out of me. Maybe they have a phone that has in-built sonar and sounds off when they get too close.
I am usually a very patient person and don't take much notice of little annoyances, but some people just don't have a clue.
I must be getting old.

View attachment 31841

Key Takeaways

I'm one of those annoying people that drive on the left lane and stick to speed limit 😒 sorry

Hello everyone, I'm awhere of my spatial zone amongst other people. I'm a baby boomer & I think baby boomers have more manners. It all comes down to how you were raised. I had lovely parents who set a fine example. May be it is just me, I think outside the square. I don't follow the mainstream of people. I look ahead to see if i should change lanes or direction, LOL. As for boarding a bus, I like to be ready with my bus pass. I also like to ready in the supermarket to pay for the groceries. I like to keep myself organised so ques can moving smoothly. Voted on the referendum. It was YES or NO. It was so simple ,so effective. We all moved in & out smoothly. We were the sheep following direction. Well organised. Should all elections be yes & no. make it quicker & easier. Bye everyone. Be kind to yourself.

People who park their trolly right next to a product you want to get and no matter how you much you have to lean over they continue to stay there. Also people who are on their phones and coming towards you. I have to say, I refuse to move out of the way and if they bump into me well so be it.

Years ago, my adult daughter had an accident & needed surgery to her foot. Once home, she needed crutches to get around. After a few weeks stuck at home, she needed to go to our local shopping centre. We went on a quiet day & the place wasn't very busy, so we were able to keep to the left - out of anybody's way, as my daughter was quite slow on her crutches. But, we found many people, some pushing trollies, walked straight at my daughter when there was plenty of space away from us! My daughter couldn't get out of their way in a hurry, so she would just stop for them to go around her. Many stopped right in front & glared at her! I didn't understand how they hadn't seen her many metres before they got to her. (After a few near misses, I'm surprised that my daughter didn't hit someone with one of her crutches!)

Years ago, my adult daughter had an accident & needed surgery to her foot. Once home, she needed crutches to get around. After a few weeks stuck at home, she needed to go to our local shopping centre. We went on a quiet day & the place wasn't very busy, so we were able to keep to the left - out of anybody's way, as my daughter was quite slow on her crutches. But, we found many people, some pushing trollies, walked straight at my daughter when there was plenty of space away from us! My daughter couldn't get out of their way in a hurry, so she would just stop for them to go around her. Many stopped right in front & glared at her! I didn't understand how they hadn't seen her many metres before they got to her. (After a few near misses, I'm surprised that my daughter didn't hit someone with one of her crutches!)
She should have done 
so in my opinion.!!!!!
Bad manners and complacency
in public places is a real
problem in this world, and
completely unacceptable!

This is what drives me crazy: people who have no concept of personal space. I will go into an empty public toilet, and no matter which stall I choose, someone will always come and use the stall RIGHT NEXT TO THE ONE I'M IN! Even when there's 10 other stalls to choose from. It drives me crazy.

Last week I was in a food court on 2 occasions. There was a whole row of empty tables both times, and I chose the end table, both times and BOTH TIMES people came and sat RIGHT NEXT TO ME. They had 6 other tables to choose from, I am not interesting or charismatic, and I was not sharing my food. Leave me alone when there are tables to spare!

I work in a cinema, and so often when there's about 9 other people in the cinema, the person I'm selling tickets to will elect to sit RIGHT NEXT TO A STRANGER. I suggest to them that since they have basically 200 seats to choose from, how about giving a one-seat break to those other people and they all go "huh. Oh. Okay. I never thought of that." AARGH!

Sorry for all the shouting. This really annoys me. I just needed to get that off my chest.

Wow......How do you react if you enter an empty public toilet and stand at the Urinal for a pee and then someone enters and stands right beside you when there is empty space all around.....hmmm😂

The ones that get up my nose are the ones who try to get on public transport before you get OFF! They are cordially greeted with a subtle shoulder (courtesy of the old rugby league days) and end up on their arse. Only backfired once when I sent a guy sprawling into a pram. OOOPS!

• Haha
Reactions: SandyM
I am one of those people who walks down the supermarket aisle on the left.
I don't know how many times I have to skirt around a trolley on one side and the shopper on the other looking at the shelf from a distance so they don't have to bend. It interferes with my shopping karma. LOL.
One MAJOR gripe I have is when people think it's ok to stay glued to their phone whilst walking around. Crossing streets, down paths, in shops, at coffee shops ... it just annoys the heck out of me. Maybe they have a phone that has in-built sonar and sounds off when they get too close.
I am usually a very patient person and don't take much notice of little annoyances, but some people just don't have a clue.
I must be getting old.
Be like me...... stay at home then you don't have to put up with it.. go out once a fortnight for groceries...thats it... Don't utter a word for weeks on end....

Reactions: SandyM