SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
J

James Gutierrez

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 11, 2021
AIBU 17.05.2024

AIBU, which stands for 'Am I Being Unreasonable', is the perfect platform for sharing your thoughts and opinions! So, for today's AIBU discussion, we have this story from Gransnet/Sago:

Am I being unreasonable in thinking there should be a legal limit on car sound systems?

'Yesterday morning, I woke up to a blaring car stereo at 7:30. The driver, a woman in her fifties dressed in business attire, parked nearby and fiddled with her phone before finally turning off the engine. This morning, another car pulled away with its stereo blasting. Why do people do this?'

We're eager to hear your perspectives, members! Please feel free to share your thoughts in the comments below.

In NSW either having a noisy sound system or just leaving the engine running while parked, before 8am, is against the noise abatement act and road rules (291-1 for engine running.)

But calling anyone to come around and enforce the rules at that time of the day would be as likely to succeed as praying for a meteorite to crash onto the vehicle.

why does it matter? cars move, don't they? they be gone soon, why not just bop along with the song till they have gone that's what I do.
Try that when you finish a 12 hour shift at 2am, have an hour drive to get home, eat 'dinner' at 3:30 and finally get to sleep at 4:30.

Only to be rudely awakened by some prat with appalling taste in music who takes ages to sort out the contents of their purse/wallet before roaring off like they are on the starting grid at Bathurst.

Especially if you know that they will do the same thing tomorrow, as they did yesterday and every workaday before that.

The only thing you would want to 'bop' is their nose.

• Love
Reactions: dfhalilovic
FYI - Blasting loud music from your car is an offence in both NSW and Queensland. In NSW, you can be pulled over for contributing to “noise pollution,” and you risk a fine of up to $200. In Queensland, this fine is typically $175. Playing your music too loud can be a Type 1 hooning offence in Qld and a first offence of this type can result in a 90 day impoundment of your vehicle.

In NSW either having a noisy sound system or just leaving the engine running while parked, before 8am, is against the noise abatement act and road rules (291-1 for engine running.)

But calling anyone to come around and enforce the rules at that time of the day would be as likely to succeed as praying for a meteorite to crash onto the vehicle.
I had a guy next door who used to start his car up at 5am and leave it running for 10 minutes every morning. It was right next to my bedroom window and annoyed me no end. Inconsiderate at that time of day.