SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Sethia Soliman

Sethia Soliman

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2022
AIBU 06.05.2024

AIBU, which stands for 'Am I Being Unreasonable', is the perfect platform for sharing your thoughts and opinions! So, for today's AIBU discussion, we have this story from Reddit/Straight-Lime2605:

Am I being unreasonable for not wanting to eat my mother's leftovers at a buffet?

My mum likes inviting me and my older sister who lives on her own to eat at a Chinese buffet once or twice a year. For context, my mum and sister are both a bit overweight and I’m thinner.

My mum has a habit of loading everything she sees at the buffet on her plate because she wants to taste everything. Then she usually finds she doesn’t like some stuff although she puts a lot on her plate at once, or gets too full to finish. Since I was young she would always put the food she didn’t finish on my plate and tell me to finish it since I’m young and skinny and I’ll be fine. The last time we went, I actually ate too much and felt sick after, so I decided to eat less this time.

Right when we went to pick our food, my mum was looking at what I was grabbing and said why wasn’t I taking more, it’s not worth the price if I don’t take as much as I can. I said if I was still hungry I could get more, but she already seemed annoyed.

Then we ate and I finished what was on my plate and didn’t want to go for a second round. My mum argued with me for about 5 minutes telling me to go with her to get more food or else it’s not going to feel like a family meal. I tried politely telling her I didn’t want to eat anymore. My sister was silent through this all. Finally, they went to get more food and my mum came back with another full plate.

As I expected she finished less than half of the second plate she got. She said she didn’t want more because she still wanted to get dessert and told me to have the rest. I declined and said I was full and she shouldn’t load up her plate so much.

She got very mad at this and said I was embarrassing her and to just eat it because I’ve always ate more before and I was just trying to embarrass her. She said everyone in the restaurant was staring at us because of the argument I started and that I was making her look like a fat pig by not eating more and she said didn’t know why I was doing this.

I told her then I would pay for my own food if she’s that upset and she said I was being cruel and manipulative and she didn’t know why I had such an attitude problem today. Anyway, she finally saw I didn’t want to dig through her leftovers and gave up and got some cake and ice cream for dessert. She didn’t talk to me for the rest of the day.

Later after my sister left she sent me a text saying I was being very selfish and ruined our family outing. Do you think I was in the wrong in this?

Haven't heard that one in a long time, A wonderful bird is the Pelican, It can hold more it's beak, than you can eat in a week. I wonder how the hell it can?
I hadn't heard the first version but yours is spot on. This young lady should now know how many people are agreeing with her. Her mother and sister are disgusting, greedy pigs and I would suggest when they offer this type of night out again a simple NO THANKS would be appropriate.

Reactions: Littleboy8