A Country Practice actor passes away at 94—remembering Brian Wenzel’s legacy

The Australian entertainment industry has lost one of its most cherished icons, Brian Wenzel, who passed away at 94.

His agent, Jennifer Hennessey, confirmed his death, expressing deep sorrow while commemorating the beloved actor's life.

‘It is with great sadness that we remember the life of beloved Australian actor Brian Wenzel,’ she said in a statement.

‘His iconic and revered performances spanned multiple Australian generations with his wit and humour shining through to the end.’

‘A passionate family man and devoted Carlton supporter leaves an irreplaceable mark on the Australian film and television industry.’

Screenshot 2024-05-07 at 7.18.49 AM.png
A Country Practice icon Brian Wenzel passed away at 94. Credit: 7NEWS Adelaide / Facebook

Brian Wenzel's name is synonymous with the character of Sergeant Frank Gilroy, whom he portrayed in the Channel Seven series A Country Practice.

His performance not only won him the hearts of viewers across the nation but also earned him a Silver Logie in 1981.

For 12 years, Wenzel graced our television screens in the soap from 1981 to 1993. His career spanned an impressive breadth, contributing to more than 2,000 hours of Australian television.

His versatility as an actor was evident in his varied roles, including appearances on Neighbours, Rove Live, The Young Doctors, and Matlock Police.

Channel Seven, which showcased Wenzel's most memorable work, extended its ‘heartfelt condolences to Brian’s family and friends’, acknowledging the loss felt by many.

Wenzel's journey into the world of acting began early.

Leaving school at 14, he pursued his passion for performance and became a professional actor by the age of 17.

His talents were not confined to the small screen; he was also a prolific theatre performer. His stage credits include classic productions such as Death of a Salesman, The Crucible, and The Imaginary Invalid.

In recent years, Wenzel faced health challenges, suffering from poor health since 2018.

He bravely shared his struggles with the public, revealing that he had suffered two mini-strokes and could no longer walk unaided.

'I got old all of a sudden. I can't work anymore, which I find really frustrating,' he expressed in an interview.

Despite these difficulties, his spirit and humour remained unshaken.

Wenzel spent his last 15 months in a nursing home, where he continued to be surrounded by the love and support of his family, including his wife Linda, to whom he was married since 1957.

You can watch 7NEWS’ tribute below:

Credit: 7NEWS Adelaide / Facebook

Key Takeaways
  • Veteran Australian actor Brian Wenzel, best known for his role as Sergeant Frank Gilroy on A Country Practice, has passed away at the age of 94.
  • His death was confirmed by his agent, who honoured his iconic performances and impact on the Australian film and television industry.
  • Wenzel won a Silver Logie for his role in A Country Practice, which ran for 12 years from 1981 to 1993.
  • He had been suffering from poor health since 2018, and in the last years of his life, he lived in a nursing home.
As we bid farewell to Brian Wenzel, we celebrate his remarkable legacy. His contributions to Australian film and television have left an irreplaceable mark, and his memory will live on through the countless characters he brought to life.

Our thoughts are with his family during this time.

What are your favourite memories of Brian Wenzel's performances? Share your stories with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
What a great Australian actor.
My eldest daughter called me last night to tell me he passed away. She said she has such happy memories sitting with me and watching A Country Practice .
He was always called Sarg and who can forget his on screen wife Shirl and we can't forget the wombat

RIP Brian Wenzel and thank you 🙏😥

My eldest daughter called me last night to tell me he passed away. She said she has such happy memories sitting with me and watching A Country Practice .
He was always called Sarg and who can forget his on screen wife Shirl and we can't forget the wombat

beautiful man. I loved watching him in so many shows. RIP Brian. May you happily fly high.

Like your eldest daughter, I too have happy memories watching A Country Practice. I’d watch with my two older kids. So sad when the show inevitably came to an end.

RIP Brian. You were a great entertainer.

Sometimes an actor plays a Character part which cannot be filled by anyone else. Brian was this person as Sarg. in ACP. I so enjoyed watching him in this part.

Yes, another great actor & performer has passed away to add to the many other greats in the heavens above. Numerous fans say "Rest In Peace", I say, "Act long & Load & Don't Stop". As with the many others, you will carry on with your regained wellbeing & to be enjoyed by many.

Brian Wenzel was an essential part of A Country Practice. He was so natural in the part of the sergeant and his character was believable. My heart goes out to his family at this sad time.

Reactions: Ezzy
Wonderful man & actor - He was in our loungeroom nearly every night over the year. TV will be sadder with his passing.

Reactions: Ezzy