‘Cheapest fuel in a decade’: Find out where motorists are racing for 99-cent petrol sale!

As the cost of living continues to rise, Australians are always on the lookout for ways to stretch their dollars further.

One of the most significant expenses for many is the cost of fuel, which has been soaring to record highs.

However, there's a glimmer of hope for Sydney motorists looking to save on petrol, thanks to a remarkable offer causing quite the stir.

In a move reminiscent of the good old days, the Metro Petroleum petrol station in Punchbowl, Sydney, has become the talk of the town.

On the first Tuesday of every month, between 3 pm and 5 pm, this service station offers fuel for an astonishing 99 cents per litre.

300378571_515821250544559_124826630679312822_n.jpg
Metro Petroleum is offering fuel prices for 99 cents per litre. Credit: Metro Petroleum / Facebook

This incredible deal is part of a cost-of-living relief initiative, a partnership between the national rewards club Dreams Come True Club (DCT) and select Metro Petroleum stations.

The response has been overwhelming, with lines of cars snaking from the petrol station as motorists eagerly wait to fill up their tanks with the cheapest petrol prices seen in a decade.

The usual price of unleaded petrol outside of the sale hours at this station is 192.7 cents per litre, which means customers are saving almost a dollar for every litre they pump during the sale.

The scene at the Punchbowl station is one of anticipation and camaraderie.

One ute driver, prepared for the occasion, brought along a 600L fuel tank, intending to take full advantage of the low price.

Others, caught in the long lines, were initially unaware of the reason for the congestion but soon discovered the cause of the excitement.

Those in the know came equipped with refreshments, entertainment, and jerrycans to maximise the sale.

This bargain is a welcome relief for many, with one motorist saying, 'I'm happy to wait. If I have to push the car, I have to push the car.’

The DCT Club, which offers memberships in all areas of Australia except South Australia and the Australian Capital Territory (ACT), has partnered with Metro Petroleum, which operates over 500 petrol stations nationally. This means that the once-a-month offer could potentially benefit motorists across the country, not just those in Sydney.

George Dib, the owner of Metro Petroleum, expressed his support for the initiative, acknowledging the tough economic times and the need to relieve consumers.

'Times are tough, there is no denying that. Wherever you look, it seems like consumers can't get a break,' he said.

'In this environment, we are absolutely on board with this initiative by DCT Club to alleviate some of the cost stress in the community.'

You can watch 7NEWS’ coverage below:

Credit: 7NEWS Australia / YouTube​

Key Takeaways

• Motorists in Sydney's southwest flocked to Metro Petroleum Punchbowl for an unprecedented 99c per litre fuel sale.
  • The affordable petrol price is the result of a partnership with Dreams Come True Club (DCT) and select Metro Petroleum stations and will be available on the first Tuesday of every month between 3 pm and 5 pm.
  • The promotion offered nearly a dollar per litre of savings compared to the usual price outside the sale hours, with regular unleaded petrol advertised at 192.7c.
  • The initiative aims to relieve the cost of living for locals, and Metro Petroleum's owner, George Dib, supports this effort to alleviate some of the financial stress for consumers.
Have you taken advantage of this fuel sale, or do you know of other great discounts for seniors on everyday expenses? Let us know in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sponsored
Yeh the owner of this servo and the guy that was shown on the news is my son inlaws uncle 🙄 I said it would have been great if we knew beforehand. So we could have been one off the first.

He did thus for two hours just to help people . This actually cost him a lot of out of pocket $$$

Last edited:
So for the man that bought along the 600 litre tank to be filled... what a greedy, selfish a$$hole! It was a cost of living incentive not a freebie...that could have filled up at least 10 family cars...people like him cause these things to be shut down because of their greed!

Last edited:
So for the man that bought along the 600 litre tank to filled... what a greedy, selfish a$$hole! It was a cost of living incentive not a freebie...that could have filled up at least 10 family cars...people like him cause these things to be shut down because of their greed!
He wasn't aloud to fill up that tank . He was stopped straight away.

The owner of the servo basically gave away the petrol. He did it as a good will to help people

Servos only make around 2c a litre . So for the 2 hours at 99c a litre he paid out of pocket a huge amount of $

Last edited:
I understand people need to save money but I think to fill your tank should be the limit, I don't live there but I still think it would be better for each person to fill their tank and move on, not take a 600ltr storage tank to fill. It's greedy and selfish.

So for the man that bought along the 600 litre tank to filled... what a greedy, selfish a$$hole! It was a cost of living incentive not a freebie...that could have filled up at least 10 family cars...people like him cause these things to be shut down because of their greed!
Sounds like he was the one that bought all the toilet paper !

I agree 100% with you Lisa. I was thinking the same thing.

Reactions: Lisa and VK2LEE
What a generous person! I m living too far away, but there are many people who coukd do with this kind of help. I think the govment should hand out petrol vouchers to those on low income. I m currently on long service leave (being paid $244 a week), which is ridiculous. once I ll go back to work I need my car (I m in community care as a field worker, so driving between clients and taking them out for shopping or appoinments). Where I am I currently pay $2.30 /ltr! One full tank woukd save me half of my weekly income! Woukd love it!

Reactions: DLHM and Ezzy
Decent thing for him to do knowing he this is out of his own pocket. No profit in these gestures. Hope this helps increase his sales in the period between these special days each month.

Wouldn't like to arrive @ 4 pm because by the time you reached the Bowser it could be after 5 pm the cut off time.

He wasn't aloud to fill up that tank . He was stopped straight away.

The owner of the servo basically gave away the petrol. He did it as a good will to help people

Servos only make around 2c a litre . So for the 2 hours at 99c a litre he paid out of pocket a huge amount of $
Best place for these avaricious bastard arseholes is on the end of a rope.

Reactions: Squizzy1
With all those cars waiting and only on for two hours people shouldn't be allowed to take time to fill up 15 jerry cans like one driver with a ute and another with 2X15litre barrels. (On the news clip) You always have people who take advantage and don't care about anyone else, like the ones on the end having the time to get their share.

Reactions: Lisa
Funny how when EVs are discussed the wait time to fill up is believed to be a problem, but not if it's for petrol. then the gloves are off to the point of 600L fuel tanks at the disadvantage of others having the chance to get any at all. Surely this is a dangerous practice?

Just imagine not paying for fuel at all everyday, let alone the fighting and road rage events like this cause, with an EV.