‘People should fight back…’ Here’s why KFC’s sudden move ignited outrage among locals

The world is always changing, especially in this age of technological advancements. Little by little, we see our lives shift and lean more into the digital space.

This is especially true when it comes to the country becoming cashless, which is a movement that has caused much debate among people.

Recently, the heated debate was reignited after one KFC location in Morriset, New South Wales, suddenly decided to become completely 'cashless'—meaning they would not accept cash and instead only accept card payments.

A sign outside the restaurant reads, ‘This restaurant is cashless. We accept card only. Thank you.’

20230926_085452_0000.png
A KFC branch in Morriset, New South Wales, stopped accepting cash payments. Credit: Scott Woodhouse/Facebook

However, they’re not the first to make the switch, at least two other KFC restaurants—Lakehaven and North Wyong—have also gone cashless in their transactions.

Many customers were outraged by the decision, taking to social media to voice their opinions.

'I thought this wouldn’t be allowed, and (that) cash would be accepted everywhere,' one shocked and frustrated Sydney man wrote in a social media post.

‘How long do you think it will be before all shops and everything in between stop cash transactions?’ he asked.

Fierce arguments erupted from both sides, in particular from those who felt that cash shouldn’t be abandoned altogether.

'I think people should fight back so we don’t lose cash,' one commenter wrote.

‘The fact that my cash money isn't good enough for you if I did decide I wanted KFC says a huge GOODBYE from me,’ another person said.

On the other side of the coin, some people believed this would ensure the safety of the branch’s staff.

‘As someone who worked in a retail store that got robbed and had a co-worker who was held at knifepoint while the robber demanded she empty the cash register, I’m on the side of the business on this decision,’ someone shared.

‘It is also about minimising the risk to staff through avoiding armed robbery,’ a second person remarked.

Meanwhile, one social media user claimed, 'They can’t refuse legal currency.'

However, this claim has been debunked, as the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) have clarified: ‘Businesses can choose which payment types they accept. It is legal for a business not to accept cash.’

‘However, businesses should be clear and upfront about the types of payments they accept and the total minimum price payable for their goods and services,’ the ACCC explained on their website.

The discussion eventually moved from the debate and focused on the accessibility issues the new change can bring up. Many expressed their sympathies for those who couldn’t access the services due to a lack of card or a lack of access to digital banking technology.

‘I pity the poor kid who just got his pocket money and decided to head down to this KFC for a snack,’ one person expressed. ‘But then again, it may have forced him to eat more healthily.’

‘I pity those of any age who get digitally scammed out of all they possess,’ another shared.

As of writing, KFC has not released a statement.

Key Takeaways

• A cashless KFC branch in Morriset, New South Wales, has sparked debate among customers about a future without cash.
  • The move to cashless transactions is not only confined to this location, at least two other restaurants in Lakehaven and North Wyong also now only accept card payments.
  • People were divided on social media, with some arguing for the preservation of cash and others stating the potential for a cashless store to resolve safety issues in-store.
  • The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) stated that businesses can choose which payment types they accept, and it is legal for businesses not to accept cash, prompting businesses to be transparent about their payment methods.

What’s your take on this, members? Have you seen similar signage at your local restaurants? Let us know in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sponsored
I won't shop in any store which doesn't accept my cash. It is still legal tender, therefore I have the right to choose to use it & not a card. I do not want the bank, the govt, or any other organisation knowing where & when I shop or what I buy. That's an invasion of my privacy.

The world is always changing, especially in this age of technological advancements. Little by little, we see our lives shift and lean more into the digital space.

This is especially true when it comes to the country becoming cashless, which is a movement that has caused much debate among people.

Recently, the heated debate was reignited after one KFC location in Morriset, New South Wales, suddenly decided to become completely 'cashless'—meaning they would not accept cash and instead only accept card payments.

A sign outside the restaurant reads, ‘This restaurant is cashless. We accept card only. Thank you.’

View attachment 30830
A KFC branch in Morriset, New South Wales, stopped accepting cash payments. Credit: Scott Woodhouse/Facebook

However, they’re not the first to make the switch, at least two other KFC restaurants—Lakehaven and North Wyong—have also gone cashless in their transactions.

Many customers were outraged by the decision, taking to social media to voice their opinions.

'I thought this wouldn’t be allowed, and (that) cash would be accepted everywhere,' one shocked and frustrated Sydney man wrote in a social media post.

‘How long do you think it will be before all shops and everything in between stop cash transactions?’ he asked.

Fierce arguments erupted from both sides, in particular from those who felt that cash shouldn’t be abandoned altogether.

‘The fact that my cash money isn't good enough for you if I did decide I wanted KFC says a huge GOODBYE from me,’ another person said.

On the other side of the coin, some people believed this would ensure the safety of the branch’s staff.

‘As someone who worked in a retail store that got robbed and had a co-worker who was held at knifepoint while the robber demanded she empty the cash register, I’m on the side of the business on this decision,’ someone shared.

‘It is also about minimising the risk to staff through avoiding armed robbery,’ a second person remarked.

However, this claim has been debunked, as the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) have clarified: ‘Businesses can choose which payment types they accept. It is legal for a business not to accept cash.’

‘However, businesses should be clear and upfront about the types of payments they accept and the total minimum price payable for their goods and services,’ the ACCC explained on their website.

The discussion eventually moved from the debate and focused on the accessibility issues the new change can bring up. Many expressed their sympathies for those who couldn’t access the services due to a lack of card or a lack of access to digital banking technology.

‘I pity the poor kid who just got his pocket money and decided to head down to this KFC for a snack,’ one person expressed. ‘But then again, it may have forced him to eat more healthily.’

‘I pity those of any age who get digitally scammed out of all they possess,’ another shared.

Key Takeaways

• A cashless KFC branch in Morriset, New South Wales, has sparked debate among customers about a future without cash.
  • The move to cashless transactions is not only confined to this location, at least two other restaurants in Lakehaven and North Wyong also now only accept card payments.
  • People were divided on social media, with some arguing for the preservation of cash and others stating the potential for a cashless store to resolve safety issues in-store.
  • The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) stated that businesses can choose which payment types they accept, and it is legal for businesses not to accept cash, prompting businesses to be transparent about their payment methods.

What’s your take on this, members? Have you seen similar signage at your local restaurants? Let us know in the comments below!
well at least they will not get thieves into get their cash. always a good thing.

View attachment 30830

Key Takeaways

I am concerned about this move, I still use cash for transactions under $50 and have had small cash transaction refused at a kitchen outlet. There are added bank charges for “tap and go” transactions also. I must admit I’m not in favour of this move.

View attachment 30830

Key Takeaways

One solution.... don't give them your patronage...Who would eat that crap anyway?

Reactions: melnugro and Marj53

View attachment 30830

Key Takeaways

No cash. Simple solution, not just that store but the whole chain.

No cash = no buy

The Cashless sign won't be up forever....I live in SA and our local Shopping Centre has a Kitchen Shop, which is cashless. When it first opened I checked it out and went to buy something and was told that they don't accept cash, my response was: oh well, you have lost my money, I dropped the item on the counter, told them they won't survive long without giving people a 'choice' how to pay and walked out! I have never stepped foot in that shop since, I go past it every time I am there and though and behold, they now have a sign on their outside window saying: THEY NOW ACCEPT CASH!!!
The answer to Cashless Businesses is: DON'T give them your business, shop with your cash, elsewhere.....simple!!

View attachment 30830

Key Takeaways

There is a new group just started a few minutes ago. Feel free to join
CASH IN AUSTRALIA

Reactions: Ezzy

View attachment 30830

Key Takeaways

There is a new Facebook group available to join now.
CASH IN AUSTRALIA