Your grocery bill has skyrocketed for the past years thanks to these factors

The cost of living is a topic on everyone's lips these days and for a good reason.

Every time we check out at supermarkets, the total on the screen is a little higher than the last.

A recent analysis unpacked this uneasy feeling, revealing a staggering increase over the past three years.

9News found that based on an itemised receipt from 2021, a basket of 18 everyday items then would set you back $76.59.

Fast forward to today, buying the same items, which include staples like minced beef and vegetables, in the same shop would cost you $102.43.

That's an extra $25.84 for the same products.

While we expect some fluctuation due to specials and seasonal changes, these figures indicate a broader trend hitting consumers.

The price hikes aren't uniform across the board.

Non-perishable items like taco kits have seen some of the most significant increases, jumping from $10 to $17—a 70 per cent rise.

Meanwhile, a sweet treat like a bag of lollies has more than tripled in price, from $1.50 to $5.

Even the humble Freddo frog isn't immune, with a packet of Milky Top Freddos leaping from $3.50 to $6.

increase price.jpg
Non-perishables and other grocery staples show a price increase in over three years. However, fresh produce prices are on a decline. Source: 9News

However, it's not all bad news.

Some fresh produce, like broccoli and tomatoes, has decreased in price.

Apples have managed to stay the same price, defying the trend.

This could be a silver lining for those trying to maintain a healthy diet on a budget.

So, what's driving these price increases?

A myriad of factors are at play.

External elements such as nature, growing conditions, and logistics all impact the cost of produce—but there's more to it than just the weather.

The cost of chocolate, for example, has risen due to high demand and a supply deficit.

The broader economic landscape is also a factor.

Inflation affects nearly every aspect of our lives, from groceries to utilities, and wages are not keeping up.

Interest rates are rising, with 13 increases in 15 months since May 2022, squeezing household budgets further.

Farmers are feeling the pinch, too.

Many are struggling to stay profitable as the purchase price for their produce is often too low to cover costs.

Some were forced to close business, with an Alice Springs grape grower sharing that it was 'impossible' to meet supermarket standards and turn a profit.

The Senate inquiry into these issues has heard that supermarkets may be wielding too much power, potentially leading to a 'societal breakdown', Greens Senator Nick McKim said.

There are calls for reviewing the Food and Grocery Code of Conduct and imposing hefty fines on supermarkets mistreating suppliers.

Another factor to consider is 'shrinkflation’, where the size of products reduces, but prices stay the same or increase.

Consumer advocacy group CHOICE has identified ten products affected by shrinkflation so far—and that’s just for the first quarter of the year.

With all these factors in play, it’s important to be mindful of how and where you spend your money.

Keep an eye out for specials, consider buying in bulk, and maybe even try growing some of your veggies if you have the space.
Key Takeaways

• Shopping costs have risen by 33 per cent in nearly three years, with Australians paying more for everyday items during the cost-of-living crisis.
  • The price increase has particularly affected non-perishable items, with some items like taco kits and bags of lollies increasing by 70 per cent and 233 per cent, respectively.
  • Despite the increase, some fresh fruits and vegetables have either stayed the same in price or decreased.
  • The issue of shrinkflation is also highlighted, affecting Australian consumers who are already facing financial pressure due to rising inflation.
Have these price increases affected your shopping habits? Have you found any clever ways to stretch your dollar further? Share your tips with us in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
Tomatoes and broccoli are out and I can't eat apples as I have diabetes.
"Apples can be a good snack for people with diabetes. Their fiber may help prevent spikes in blood sugar, and insulin levels, and fructose may be more beneficial for insulin levels than glucose. Apples also contain many nutrients."
Medical News Today

The cost of living is a topic on everyone's lips these days and for a good reason.
Obviously not everyone's lips GIVE ALBO - THE ELBOW.
this crap began long before Albo but I have personally told him if he doesn't start listening to Australian people he won't survive the next election. Heaven help us if we end up with Leg Of Mutton Dutton.

• Haha
Reactions: Littleboy8 and DLHM
this crap began long before Albo but I have personally told him if he doesn't start listening to Australian people he won't survive the next election. Heaven help us if we end up with Leg Of Mutton Dutton.
None of them currently either in government or opposition are worth a toss, just a bunch of tossers.

How's this for a price rise!...
A 5pack of original quik-eze antacid tablets have gone from $5 a few years ago to a whopping $12.
How can they justify this increase?
I got some in my shop yesterday at $12.00 but I didn’t think that was expensive it’ll last me for months and months. And made in Australia not an alien country🤣 the price of the ingredients in them like magnesium has skyrocketed I looked it up. Anyway you shouldn’t eat them everyday.

Last edited:
Reactions: DLHM
"Apples can be a good snack for people with diabetes. Their fiber may help prevent spikes in blood sugar, and insulin levels, and fructose may be more beneficial for insulin levels than glucose. Apples also contain many nutrients."
Medical News Today
They talk through their hats.... Mine goes through the roof when I eat an apple.
I've got the implant that reads my insulin by the minute and as soon as I eat an apple up she goes to 12mol/lt.... way off the chart.
This device reports every minute on my mobile.

Those supermarkets always use supply,cost of supplies etc to defend the rising costs. But they still make in excess of a BILLION dollars in profits! That IS price gouging Australians.

They talk through their hats.... Mine goes through the roof when I eat an apple.
I've got the implant that reads my insulin by the minute and as soon as I eat an apple up she goes to 12mol/lt.... way off the chart.
This device reports every minute on my mobile.
Did not know that insulin implants were available in Australia - how brilliant.
Where does one get one of them? Are they expensive ? Can you give us more info ??
I always have Cinnamon with any product that contains sugar and only before physical activity.

Reactions: IAN3005
Did not know that insulin implants were available in Australia - how brilliant.
Where does one get one of them? Are they expensive ? Can you give us more info ??
I always have Cinnamon with any product that contains sugar and only before physical activity.
Something new at my Drs sugery. It's free for type 2 but you have to pay $15.00 with type 1. It doesn't administer insulin but it monitors by the minute what your blood sugar level is.
It goes under the name LIBRELINK.

Something new at my Drs sugery. It's free for type 2 but you have to pay $15.00 with type 1. It doesn't administer insulin but it monitors by the minute what your blood sugar level is.
It goes under the name LIBRELINK.

Thanks Ian
What a great concept - after all we are all different and so people no longer have to guess as to which food is good for them and which is not as according to a dietician. It immediately lets you know if you have been naughty :)

Wow! what a great training concept - the government could save heaps on a dieticians.
Must ask my GP if it is available in Central Coast area of NSW where I live - thanks again :)

Reactions: IAN3005