Your 3G phone might still work! How delay in shutdown affects you

In a significant announcement that will impact many Australians, especially those hesitant to upgrade their mobile devices, Optus and Telstra have decided to postpone decommissioning their 3G networks.

Originally scheduled to cease operations at the end of August, the shutdown has now been extended to 28 October 2024.

This decision relieves hundreds of thousands of users who rely on 3G services for their mobile phones and other connected devices.

The delay is not just a mere postponement but a strategic move by the telecommunications giants to ensure a smoother transition for their customers.

Optus’s interim CEO, Michael Venter, and Telstra’s CEO, Vicki Brady, have both emphasised their commitment to a comprehensive public awareness campaign.

‘We are joining with Telstra to launch a final public awareness campaign to drive home the safety message and get the final groups of customers to act,’ Venter said.

1723681949476.png
Telstra and Optus extend the 3G shutdown to October 28, 2024. Credit: Shutterstock

This campaign aims to inform and encourage the remaining customers to upgrade to compatible devices before the new shutdown date.

Telstra has been actively communicating with its customers through various channels, including letters, SMS, advertising, and even doorknocking, to prepare them for the transition for nearly five years.

‘This has included multiple letters, bill messages, SMS, public awareness campaigns, advertising—even doorknocking and sending free phones to people in vulnerable circumstances,’ Brady said.

‘And our customer support won’t end the day the network closes.’

Despite these efforts, many devices must still be 4G-capable, including early-version smartwatches, wireless broadband devices, and Internet-of-Things (IoT) devices, such as water and electricity meters.

The concern extends beyond personal communication devices.

Critical equipment such as Eftpos machines, ATMs, CCTV systems, and medical alert devices that rely on 3G connectivity are also at risk of losing functionality.

Optus has reported approximately 100,000 devices, predominantly used by businesses, that are still operating on the 3G network.

The Australian government, through Communications Minister Michelle Rowland, has expressed support for the delay and urged Australians to check their devices for compatibility.

‘I want to encourage all Australians to take action and check if their device could be impacted,’ she announced.

‘The government remains concerned about a subset of 4G phones configured by the manufacturer to default to 3G for triple zero calls and personal medical alarms that rely on the 3G network.’

While the opposition has criticised the government for its response time to the shutdown warnings, Optus and Telstra's voluntary extension demonstrates a proactive approach to customer service and public safety.

It's important to note that Vodafone’s parent company, TPG, shut down its 3G network last year.

Decommissioning these networks across the board is part of a broader strategy to repurpose the mobile spectrum for more advanced 5G services, which promise faster speeds and more reliable connections.
Key Takeaways
  • Telstra and Optus have postponed the shutdown of their 3G networks until 28 October 2024.
  • The extension ensures effective communication to customers for upgrading devices and mitigates the impact on those still using 3G services.
  • Concerns were raised about devices, including early 4G phones, payment terminals, and medical alert devices, that rely on 3G.
  • The communications minister, Michelle Rowland, considers the delay sensible and urges Australians to check their devices for impact, while the opposition criticises the government's response time to the shutdown warnings.
Have you made the switch, or are you still using a 3G device? Share your experiences and any concerns you might have in the comments below.

Reactions: Ezzy, BJM and jsan
Sponsored
The 3G network closure has been a very "trying"time for me. After text messages from my provider to upgrade, I talked to the local store on two different occasions to be told my phone is good...no need to upgrade.
Still the messages kept coming. I felt so confused and anxious in case I needed to make an emergency call. Took my phone to an independent phone shop...more helpful and knowledgeable. Yep...must upgrade.
Very annoying as I don't like the prospect of having to adjust to a new, strange phone....as well as, to me, an unnecessary expense.

Check if your phone will be affected when the 3G network is switched off. Text ‘3’ to 3498 for free and your service provider will send you a message about your phone’s status.
if it is effective .... you may be able to get a free phone. the text will advise you.

Check if your phone will be affected when the 3G network is switched off. Text ‘3’ to 3498 for free and your service provider will send you a message about your phone’s status.
if it is effective .... you may be able to get a free phone. the text will advise you.
Many thanks

Reactions: LesleyJayne
There is no guarantee you will get a replacement phone. I contacted Telstra because I do not use my phone for internet and only need one for phone calls if I am out alone and something happens I am elderly but although I contacted Telstra I have not heard anymore .

Reactions: LesleyJayne
About time this country kept up with the rest of the world. Now the mobile phone companies have set another deadline with this they should keep to it and not change it again.

Some other countries switched off their 3G two years ago. Two of the big four mobile phone companies in the UK switched it off about 6 months ago and the other two will be by the end of the year.

Obviously they've got to keep up with worldwide technology with this or get left behind.

Reactions: Nantes
There is no guarantee you will get a replacement phone. I contacted Telstra because I do not use my phone for internet and only need one for phone calls if I am out alone and something happens I am elderly but although I contacted Telstra I have not heard anymore .
It depends on people's financial circumstances.

Yes Steve,I did this and my phone is good. I think it unfair to write these stories without providing a solution for many vulnerable people. Thanks for posting this as I was just about to do the same.
Happy day :)

Reactions: terri
Do not know how to text 3 to anything and understand nothing about 3G but will have to struggle through somehow!
If you know how to add a contact to your phone, Add Mobile test under name and under number add 3498 and save .You will then be able to send a text message. That is the easiest way I can explain for you.
Text 3G to the number and you will get a reply.

The 3G network closure has been a very "trying"time for me. After text messages from my provider to upgrade, I talked to the local store on two different occasions to be told my phone is good...no need to upgrade.
Still the messages kept coming. I felt so confused and anxious in case I needed to make an emergency call. Took my phone to an independent phone shop...more helpful and knowledgeable. Yep...must upgrade.
Very annoying as I don't like the prospect of having to adjust to a new, strange phone....as well as, to me, an unnecessary expense.
yeah,same thing here, 4G phone and the Telstra store said it's ok, then I was told by Telstra not ok, the store changed the SIM to 4G and said it should be ok but still get messages saying not ok and need to upgrade. like you, I am at a loss of what's what anymore. Telstra say they hve given free phones to elderly, I am 82 and I didn't get one, and what do you do with the old phone? the e-waste collection here wants you to pay them to take e-waste off your hands.

Reactions: Macarj and Bunyip57
yeah,same thing here, 4G phone but the Telstra store said it'sa ok, then I was told by Telstra not ok, the store changed the SIM to 4G and said it should be ok but still get messages saying not ok and need to upgrade. like you, I am at a loss of what's what anymore. Telstra say they hve given free phones to elderly, I am 82 and I didn't get one
Just ignore texts they just want to sell you a new phone. If it worries you, you can block the number. :)

Reactions: Nantes and Macarj
same here

this is purely rot i have to have a phone due to medical and as a pensioner with no spare money i have just had to go and not pay bills so i could get a phone to accept the change ..with the cost of living already killing many people this is forcing the elderly into more debt and into more danger as they wont be able to call emergency people ..............i often wonder why these companies need to change things that are working .....but then again i think it must be greed and so they can get more finances from the already poor people

Reactions: Bunyip57
Hi,
Yes I would love to know from Telstra how many people were given fee phones.....probably just a gimmick. Im in same situation also.

Well surprise surprise My neighbour just came over with a parcel.... wrongly delivered and it was from telstra with a new phone. So they do deliver. Thanks to Telstra

Reactions: Macarj
"is part of a broader strategy to repurpose the mobile spectrum for more advanced 5G services, which promise faster speeds and more reliable connections."

Ah well, I recall in the days of copper wire landlines, fax machines and a decent postal service that connections were reliable, speeds were as good as anything now via modem and the internet, scams were rare and we didn't have to replace adequately working equipment because large corporations wanted to make money by changing an efficiently working system. Yes; we didn't have instant videos, games and social media, and it did not matter: we could still communicate as quickly as we do now.

Reactions: Macarj and HelenJo
This number does not work.
Pensioners I have spoken to do not have $1000 handy for a new smart phone, nor do most of them have a landline.
June