Young woman's photo edited by her Catholic school without her permission: "That's not okay"

It's only natural for someone to feel uncomfortable and violated if another person alters a picture of their face or body without their permission. The way we present (and want to be perceived) in pictures is a very personal thing, and here at the SDC, we think no one should have the authority to alter that without consent.

In fact, we think it’s a little like someone breaking into your house and redecorating your rooms without your knowledge or permission. Obviously, you would be furious and distressed, right? That is not only a violation of your right to privacy but also a serious indication of disrespect.

That is the reason why Olivia Aloisi, an 18-year-old recent graduate of Mary MacKillop College in North Brisbane was shocked and furious when she found out that her body – specifically her chest – had been edited in one of the school’s official pictures.

She confronted the school about the matter, and they responded by telling her that the decision to edit the picture had been made for 'marketing' reasons.

1Ji4_akjifzf3K4exjHdJJv7GOWtz_a5AdtgTQymSodu1227SlqLhoap-yNcRtTAZj7f22jixEoxV7CWOMTJrIxcnUG_Al8So0IWQQIzrqIRFO27Vc5vOuB3-ay_e_K2lmqiDj8B9zH8lYuiXg

Olivia was shocked to see that her body had been changed in an official school photo. Credit: Daily Mail.

When Olivia went to speak with the Catholic school's vice-principal, she explained that it was not acceptable for the school to manipulate a photo of her without her permission.

They responded, however, by saying that because she was kneeling down in the front row and wearing a low-plunge dress, they had to 'edit' her cleavage because it was inappropriate to use that photo as marketing material for the school.

"I felt like someone from the school should have spoken to me before releasing the photoshopped and unedited photo to the entire grade," said Olivia. "Everyone could tell, but at least there would have been some sort of warning."

The 18-year-old also mentioned that she was 'embarrassed' because the student who informed her of the photoshopped picture wasn't even a close friend of hers.

This incident was not the first time the Catholic school has found itself making headlines on the internet.

Earlier in May, students expressed their grievances after being asked to submit photos of their dresses so that they could be approved before this year's formal.

In addition, the institution distributed a formal booklet that detailed the school's strictly enforced dress code and included photographic examples of appropriate and inappropriate dresses. Among the prohibited styles of clothing were plunging necklines, low backs that dropped below the waist, and high slits.

The women's outfits allegedly "make the male teachers uncomfortable," which is why strict dress codes were enforced.

The Catholic school has not released any statements addressing either of the incidents.

What are your thoughts, folks? Do you think the school was too strict with their students? Let us know in the comments below!

• Angry
Reactions: BJM, Ricci and Ezzy
Sponsored
Young woman's photo edited by her Catholic school without her permission: "That's not okay"

It's only natural for someone to feel uncomfortable and violated if another person alters a picture of their face or body without their permission. The way we present (and want to be perceived) in pictures is a very personal thing, and here at the SDC, we think no one should have the authority to alter that without consent.

In fact, we think it’s a little like someone breaking into your house and redecorating your rooms without your knowledge or permission. Obviously, you would be furious and distressed, right? That is not only a violation of your right to privacy but also a serious indication of disrespect.

That is the reason why Olivia Aloisi, an 18-year-old recent graduate of Mary MacKillop College in North Brisbane was shocked and furious when she found out that her body – specifically her chest – had been edited in one of the school’s official pictures.

She confronted the school about the matter, and they responded by telling her that the decision to edit the picture had been made for 'marketing' reasons.

1Ji4_akjifzf3K4exjHdJJv7GOWtz_a5AdtgTQymSodu1227SlqLhoap-yNcRtTAZj7f22jixEoxV7CWOMTJrIxcnUG_Al8So0IWQQIzrqIRFO27Vc5vOuB3-ay_e_K2lmqiDj8B9zH8lYuiXg

Olivia was shocked to see that her body had been changed in an official school photo. Credit: Daily Mail.

When Olivia went to speak with the Catholic school's vice-principal, she explained that it was not acceptable for the school to manipulate a photo of her without her permission.

They responded, however, by saying that because she was kneeling down in the front row and wearing a low-plunge dress, they had to 'edit' her cleavage because it was inappropriate to use that photo as marketing material for the school.

"I felt like someone from the school should have spoken to me before releasing the photoshopped and unedited photo to the entire grade," said Olivia. "Everyone could tell, but at least there would have been some sort of warning."

The 18-year-old also mentioned that she was 'embarrassed' because the student who informed her of the photoshopped picture wasn't even a close friend of hers.

This incident was not the first time the Catholic school has found itself making headlines on the internet.

Earlier in May, students expressed their grievances after being asked to submit photos of their dresses so that they could be approved before this year's formal.

In addition, the institution distributed a formal booklet that detailed the school's strictly enforced dress code and included photographic examples of appropriate and inappropriate dresses. Among the prohibited styles of clothing were plunging necklines, low backs that dropped below the waist, and high slits.

The women's outfits allegedly "make the male teachers uncomfortable," which is why strict dress codes were enforced.

The Catholic school has not released any statements addressing either of the incidents.

What are your thoughts, folks? Do you think the school was too strict with their students? Let us know in the comments below!
Totally OUT OF ORDER. A woman's body is her property and she wholly owns it and any images it creates. For a school to 'edit' it (and it is a very poor result, very poor edit indeed) for marketing reasons is an invasion of privacy and copyright and she is entitled to an apology at the very least from the school without any restrictions attached.

Were these restrictions introduced because 'the school's male staff felt uncomfortable' or because the school didn't think they could use the photos unaltered for publicity in an effort to entice other prospective students to enrol? Why were the male staff looking at her cleaverage? I was always taught to look at a person's face when talking to them. Breasts are a long way from a person's face.

I believe Olivia should have been consulted before changes were made as a matter of courtesy. Perhaps the school should write dress standards into their 'explicit' school rules & avoid these types of 'discomforts for male staff & the school's image?'

Query - which one did they "Photoshop" the left or the right, as both show the young lady's cleavage. To me if the school reason for this change is because of marketing & that the male teaches can't control their lusty thoughts, it would have made more sense to raise the so called "plunging neckline". I know that most schools do state that all photos taken for school events are basically their property but I do believe that they should inform the student first if they are going to change it in anyway. But, in my personal view the school had no right to alter this lovely young lady photo. Also, who altered the photo - A MALE teacher or a FEMALE teacher. And if it was a MALE teacher did he control his lusty thoughts while he changed it.

Query - which one did they "Photoshop" the left or the right, as both show the young lady's cleavage. To me if the school reason for this change is because of marketing & that the male teaches can't control their lusty thoughts, it would have made more sense to raise the so called "plunging neckline". I know that most schools do state that all photos taken for school events are basically their property but I do believe that they should inform the student first if they are going to change it in anyway. But, in my personal view the school had no right to alter this lovely young lady photo. Also, who altered the photo - A MALE teacher or a FEMALE teacher. And if it was a MALE teacher did he control his lusty thoughts while he changed it.
I admit l had to look closely to understand which photo was in question & came to the conclusion that that on the left is the corrected shot with the alterations being:- shadow in the cleaverage removed together with a reshaping of the dress in the bottom right. Good point about who did the changes.

If they didn't want that image, why was she in the front row kneeling down? Surely if you think the image would be inappropriate you would put her in the back row, or at least have somebody in front to hide the "embarrassing" cleavage. I would have been be seriously worried if any of my kids teachers were being turned on or "uncomfortable" at the sight of schoolgirls.

Reactions: Ezzy and barbaranne
Have we heard from any of those male teachers who would feel uncomfortable, or have their words/feelings/opinions been whitewashed as well??

Reactions: Ricci and Ezzy

A total violation of privacy and the right to express oneself the young woman is 18 and no longer needs someone to tell her what is ok to wear and what is not. Perhaps it was the female teachers that felt uncomfortable not the so called male teachers who never spoke out at all.

I am surprised that only one other person has commented on how the young lady's outfit is completely inappropriate for a school formal. At my daughter's (Catholic) school, that outfit would not have been permitted in the first place and, if a girl had turned up in a dress that exposed so much cleavage, she would have been told to cover up, or leave, or she would have been provided with a school jumper by one of the supervising teachers.

I am surprised that only one other person has commented on how the young lady's outfit is completely inappropriate for a school formal. At my daughter's (Catholic) school, that outfit would not have been permitted in the first place and, if a girl had turned up in a dress that exposed so much cleavage, she would have been told to cover up, or leave, or she would have been provided with a school jumper by one of the supervising teachers.
A small broach worn approx 10cm up from the bottom of the 'V' would have appeased the teachers if they saw a problem before the photo shoot by pulling both edges of the dress together in the middle. Why was this not a problem until after the photo shoot?

A small broach worn approx 10cm up from the bottom of the 'V' would have appeased the teachers if they saw a problem before the photo shoot by pulling both edges of the dress together in the middle. Why was this not a problem until after the photo shoot?
To be honest, I doubt a small brooch would have been sufficient to hold back that much cleavage (LOL)!

Last edited:

They did her a favour

• Wow
Reactions: Ricci