You'll never guess the unlikely cleaning tool this couple used to make their shower screen spotless

If you’ve ever tried and failed to get the soap scum off your shower screen using all kinds of cleaners, take note of this cleaning hack.

An Australian mum recently took to a popular Facebook group to share the unexpected way her husband managed to get the family shower looking brand new — and the best part? The product is probably already in your house.

The mum said that she and her husband had been battling the same soap scum for the last five years, no matter the cleaning product combination they tried.

But things changed when her husband stumbled upon Water Displacement - 40th formula, more popularly known as WD-40.

Yes, the very same multi-purpose lubricant and cleaner many of us have in our cupboards to fix squeaky doors and rusty locks. It’s apparently also a 'miracle' cleaner for shower screens!

d0e67353407f2706a01d8c4cb1456e0e8f480601-161x229-x61y0w1440h2048.jpg
One mum was happy with how her husband cleaned their shower screen using WD-40. Image Credit: Facebook

'Yesterday my husband came across a TikTok he wanted to try — WD-40 to clean shower screens, and IT WORKED,' the mum wrote enthusiastically. 'I’m questioning everything I’ve ever known.'

Her husband transformed their shower screen, as seen in the before and after pictures the mum shared in the group.

'He sprayed on a light layer and then wiped with a paper towel until dry,' the mum explained.

‘When I said I’ve tried everything, I mean I tried EVERYTHING. This is the first thing that has come close,’ she added.

Other people quickly jumped in to share their similar experiences using the product online.

‘My husband used the same WD-40, and presto — they came out fantastic. He said soap scum was on the paper towel,’ said a woman. ‘It’s the active ingredients in WD-40 that clearly breaks soap scum down brilliantly.’

Unfortunately, what makes the lubricant good at what it does is a trade secret, though its formulation is said to contain a flammable liquid hydrocarbon mixture called naphtha.

Some revealed that they mixed WD-40 with other better-known cleaning materials.

‘Yesterday I did WD-40 — left it for a few minutes, then dishwashing liquid and water in a spray bottle, sprayed it, scrubbed with a cloth, then used a squeegee to get it all off,’ one person shared.

fea74742cffa179955028db4f7a0ae65f0a0b2b4-161x229-x48y0w1440h2048.jpg
The mum said her husband got the idea from TikTok posts suggesting that WD-40 is a great shower screen cleaner. Image Credit: Facebook

‘I just did this! I’ve tried vinegar and bicarb, a scrub brush, bar keepers friend and CLR,’ a second added.

Meanwhile, others who first came across the unique cleaning tip admitted they were considering trying it.

One person admitted: ‘Yes, I’m yet to try it as well. I have tried so many products, and nothing has worked —- so this is my last attempt.’

‘(I) will definitely try this as I’ve also tried everything else. WD-40 is great for also cleaning fly screens or doors made of Crimsafe material and stays clean for ages,’ another shared.

Key Takeaways

• An Aussie mum shared how her husband used WD-40 to clean their shower screen.
  • She said she had tried many ways and things to remove the soap scum over the past five years without success.
  • After spraying on a light layer of WD-40, she said her husband wiped their shower screen with a paper towel until dry.
  • Some warned to be careful using WD-40 around silicone or sealants as it can sometimes cause them to erode.
Some reminded others to be careful about using too much of the product around silicone or sealants because it can sometimes damage them.

The ecstatic mum clarified that her husband’s cleaning job only covered a ‘test patch’.

‘We’ll be careful when completing the rest of the screens, although the whole shower needs resealing anyway,’ she said.

It’s not the first time we’ve encountered the use of WD-40 in unique settings.

Some of our members have tried it for uses outside of cleaning.

Member @JayKay, for example, said it’d been used to kill cockroaches.

Member @Crew added it could also be used to eliminate mites on chicken feet.

Eight Unexpected Home Uses for WD-40.jpg
Aside from use on shower screens, WD-40 can also be used in other home cleaning jobs. Image Credit: Seniors Discount Club

But of course, we’ve also had words of caution on the indiscriminate use of WD-40 as well.

‘While WD-40 may be a great cleaner, it’s also an extremely toxic substance with potentially deadly consequences if used incorrectly,’ @DrivingGirl said.

‘There are many just as good products to clean your screens that are safe around families. A great product for what it was designed for, but to be used with caution and respect for anything else.’

‘Always use in a well-ventilated area and wear a respirator mask and gloves - it is no good for the human body.’

On that note, we’d like to point out that use on bathrooms (outside of rust, of course) and shower screens is not listed on WD-40’s website as an application, so tread carefully, especially when using the material with other cleaning agents.

In the meantime, you might also want to take a look at other shower screen cleaning articles:
So, what are your thoughts on using WD-40 as a shower cleaning agent? Have you ever tried this hack? Let us know how it worked for you in the comments below!

Source: TikTok/@NoooWaaay

Sponsored
I wipe my shower down after each shower- takes about a minute I spray cleaner once a week and in the 7yrs I have lived here there has been no soap scum. I have been doing it for over 30yrs - same result -

I had wasps coming to my front everyday. I tried flyspray and surface spray, squirting them as they hovered. But they still come back. In utter desperation, I grabbed the can of WD40. Hooray! With one squirt the wasp flew off all wobbly...over 6 months ago!!

Reactions: Zoya and Granny*Deb
Stop soap scum in the first place. We used to squeegee down our shower each day, but as we got older, this became harder to do. We now use rinse aid in a spray bottle. Mix it with water about the same proportions as making cordial. Spray after each shower, all over glass / tiles / taps etc. Rinse with water, and it's done. Works brilliantly and so cheap. We have been using it for about 18 months and have only had to clean the floor tiles and grout. It does not make the tiles slippery to walk on.

If you’ve ever tried and failed to get the soap scum off your shower screen using all kinds of cleaners, take note of this cleaning hack.

An Australian mum recently took to a popular Facebook group to share the unexpected way her husband managed to get the family shower looking brand new — and the best part? The product is probably already in your house.

The mum said that she and her husband had been battling the same soap scum for the last five years, no matter the cleaning product combination they tried.

But things changed when her husband stumbled upon Water Displacement - 40th formula, more popularly known as WD-40.

Yes, the very same multi-purpose lubricant and cleaner many of us have in our cupboards to fix squeaky doors and rusty locks. It’s apparently also a 'miracle' cleaner for shower screens!

View attachment 14188
One mum was happy with how her husband cleaned their shower screen using WD-40. Image Credit: Facebook

'Yesterday my husband came across a TikTok he wanted to try — WD-40 to clean shower screens, and IT WORKED,' the mum wrote enthusiastically. 'I’m questioning everything I’ve ever known.'

Her husband transformed their shower screen, as seen in the before and after pictures the mum shared in the group.

'He sprayed on a light layer and then wiped with a paper towel until dry,' the mum explained.

‘When I said I’ve tried everything, I mean I tried EVERYTHING. This is the first thing that has come close,’ she added.

Other people quickly jumped in to share their similar experiences using the product online.

‘My husband used the same WD-40, and presto — they came out fantastic. He said soap scum was on the paper towel,’ said a woman. ‘It’s the active ingredients in WD-40 that clearly breaks soap scum down brilliantly.’

Unfortunately, what makes the lubricant good at what it does is a trade secret, though its formulation is said to contain a flammable liquid hydrocarbon mixture called naphtha.

Some revealed that they mixed WD-40 with other better-known cleaning materials.

‘Yesterday I did WD-40 — left it for a few minutes, then dishwashing liquid and water in a spray bottle, sprayed it, scrubbed with a cloth, then used a squeegee to get it all off,’ one person shared.

View attachment 14189
The mum said her husband got the idea from TikTok posts suggesting that WD-40 is a great shower screen cleaner. Image Credit: Facebook

‘I just did this! I’ve tried vinegar and bicarb, a scrub brush, bar keepers friend and CLR,’ a second added.

Meanwhile, others who first came across the unique cleaning tip admitted they were considering trying it.

One person admitted: ‘Yes, I’m yet to try it as well. I have tried so many products, and nothing has worked —- so this is my last attempt.’

‘(I) will definitely try this as I’ve also tried everything else. WD-40 is great for also cleaning fly screens or doors made of Crimsafe material and stays clean for ages,’ another shared.

Key Takeaways

• An Aussie mum shared how her husband used WD-40 to clean their shower screen.
  • She said she had tried many ways and things to remove the soap scum over the past five years without success.
  • After spraying on a light layer of WD-40, she said her husband wiped their shower screen with a paper towel until dry.
  • Some warned to be careful using WD-40 around silicone or sealants as it can sometimes cause them to erode.
Some reminded others to be careful about using too much of the product around silicone or sealants because it can sometimes damage them.

The ecstatic mum clarified that her husband’s cleaning job only covered a ‘test patch’.

‘We’ll be careful when completing the rest of the screens, although the whole shower needs resealing anyway,’ she said.

It’s not the first time we’ve encountered the use of WD-40 in unique settings.

Some of our members have tried it for uses outside of cleaning.

Member @JayKay, for example, said it’d been used to kill cockroaches.

Member @Crew added it could also be used to eliminate mites on chicken feet.

View attachment 14234
Aside from use on shower screens, WD-40 can also be used in other home cleaning jobs. Image Credit: Seniors Discount Club

But of course, we’ve also had words of caution on the indiscriminate use of WD-40 as well.

‘While WD-40 may be a great cleaner, it’s also an extremely toxic substance with potentially deadly consequences if used incorrectly,’ @DrivingGirl said.

‘There are many just as good products to clean your screens that are safe around families. A great product for what it was designed for, but to be used with caution and respect for anything else.’

‘Always use in a well-ventilated area and wear a respirator mask and gloves - it is no good for the human body.’

On that note, we’d like to point out that use on bathrooms (outside of rust, of course) and shower screens is not listed on WD-40’s website as an application, so tread carefully, especially when using the material with other cleaning agents.

In the meantime, you might also want to take a look at other shower screen cleaning articles:
So, what are your thoughts on using WD-40 as a shower cleaning agent? Have you ever tried this hack? Let us know how it worked for you in the comments below!

Source: TikTok/@NoooWaaay

There are only two things you need. If it moves and shouldn't Duct Tape, if it doesn't move and should WD 40.

You do need to be careful mixing cleaning fluids, even natural based products, with chemicals as you can create rather unpleasant fumes and chemical reactions that can result in hospitalisation. You inhale these unseen fumes and the damage you do to your lungs is irreparable. In other words permanedamsge and scarring. I live with a horrid lung disease so my cleaning regime is simple, good old Aussie water. Clean after every use and no scum be it bathroom, kitchen or laundry.

Reactions: Zoya and Penny4
I don’t have soap scum in my shower screens, but I have water marks that I can’t get rid off. Have to try WD 40 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼
I have tried everything and no success!!! 🤷🏻‍♀️

Reactions: Granny*Deb