You won't believe what Today host Karl Stefanovic falsely claimed about ex-president Barack Obama

If it wasn’t already clear—Australians have a special sense of humour unlike any other nationality.

From the iconic comedies and ad-libs from TV personalities to the famous cheeky Aussie put-downs people have become so familiar with, you can’t deny everyone’s got a soft spot for the nation's distinct brand of wit.

And while it's great to be able to share a joke between mates in the pub or get a quick laugh at the local comedy circuit, there’s nothing quite like seeing a news anchor take a jab at other anchors and executives across international borders.

Take Karl Stefanovic, the beloved Today show co-host, for example.

Screenshot 2023-12-06 094556.png
Today Host Karl pranks her co-host Sarah about fake news regarding former US President Barrack Obama. Image: Youtube / @Today

A widely popular breakfast show presenter, Karl has mastered the trick of striking that balance between entertaining his loyal fans on the daily while also teaching the rest of the world a thing or two about Australia’s sense of humour.

The veteran breakfast show host managed to outdo himself a few weeks ago when he shocked his international fanbase with a light-hearted prank that left even his own co-host, Sarah Abo, utterly stunned.

In a video posted on social media, Karl can be seen looking sombre while informing viewers of the 'breaking news' he just received 'out of the United States'.

'Former U.S. President Barack Obama—we're just waiting to verify this—but we're hearing that former U.S. President Barack Obama has been arrested,' he said.

As his fellow anchor hung onto his every word, Karl continued: 'It may be on historic charges, related to when he was in the White House, so pretty significant.'

To say that the whole room was in shock over what was unfolding in front of them would be an understatement, even co-anchor Sarah could only say, 'Wow.'

But Karl himself had trouble holding in his amusement as he struggled to keep a straight face while delivering the fake scoop.

But after he was unable to contain himself any longer and gave away the joke with a fit of laughter, Sarah reacted with fury, slapping his arm and storming off camera with these classic words of revenge: 'I hate you! I hate you forever! I even had a Christmas present for you, and you're not getting it anymore!'

Meanwhile, fans of the popular Aussie presenter took to the comments of the video, cracking up with laughter and sharing their disbelief over the stunt.

‘This guy had me too,’ shared one person whilst another added, ‘The way I literally went to get my remote to turn the TV on.’

And the final comment summed up the whole situation with, ‘Aussie humour at its best’.

You can watch the TV skit’s full video below:

Key Takeaways

• Karl Stefanovic, Today show’s host, surprised fans by pulling a prank, claiming that former U.S. President Barack Obama had been arrested.
  • The stunt video went viral on social media, with many viewers believing the fake news segment until Stefanovic started laughing.
  • Co-presenter Sarah Abo walked off stage in apparent frustration, threatening to withhold Stefanovic's Christmas gift due to the joke.
  • Followers of the show shared amused and surprised reactions in the comments section, appreciating the Australian humour and the host's prank.

What do you think of this story? Did you watch this news segment live? Let us know in the comments below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
If it wasn’t already clear—Australians have a special sense of humour unlike any other nationality.

From the iconic comedies and ad-libs from TV personalities to the famous cheeky Aussie put-downs people have become so familiar with, you can’t deny everyone’s got a soft spot for the nation's distinct brand of wit.

And while it's great to be able to share a joke between mates in the pub or get a quick laugh at the local comedy circuit, there’s nothing quite like seeing a news anchor take a jab at other anchors and executives across international borders.

View attachment 36731
Today Host Karl pranks her co-host Sarah about fake news regarding former US President Barrack Obama. Image: Youtube / @Today

A widely popular breakfast show presenter, Karl has mastered the trick of striking that balance between entertaining his loyal fans on the daily while also teaching the rest of the world a thing or two about Australia’s sense of humour.

The veteran breakfast show host managed to outdo himself a few weeks ago when he shocked his international fanbase with a light-hearted prank that left even his own co-host, Sarah Abo, utterly stunned.

In a video posted on social media, Karl can be seen looking sombre while informing viewers of the 'breaking news' he just received 'out of the United States'.

'Former U.S. President Barack Obama—we're just waiting to verify this—but we're hearing that former U.S. President Barack Obama has been arrested,' he said.

As his fellow anchor hung onto his every word, Karl continued: 'It may be on historic charges, related to when he was in the White House, so pretty significant.'

To say that the whole room was in shock over what was unfolding in front of them would be an understatement, even co-anchor Sarah could only say, 'Wow.'

But Karl himself had trouble holding in his amusement as he struggled to keep a straight face while delivering the fake scoop.

But after he was unable to contain himself any longer and gave away the joke with a fit of laughter, Sarah reacted with fury, slapping his arm and storming off camera with these classic words of revenge: 'I hate you! I hate you forever! I even had a Christmas present for you, and you're not getting it anymore!'

Meanwhile, fans of the popular Aussie presenter took to the comments of the video, cracking up with laughter and sharing their disbelief over the stunt.

‘This guy had me too,’ shared one person whilst another added, ‘The way I literally went to get my remote to turn the TV on.’

And the final comment summed up the whole situation with, ‘Aussie humour at its best’.

Key Takeaways

• Karl Stefanovic, Today show’s host, surprised fans by pulling a prank, claiming that former U.S. President Barack Obama had been arrested.
  • The stunt video went viral on social media, with many viewers believing the fake news segment until Stefanovic started laughing.
  • Co-presenter Sarah Abo walked off stage in apparent frustration, threatening to withhold Stefanovic's Christmas gift due to the joke.
  • Followers of the show shared amused and surprised reactions in the comments section, appreciating the Australian humour and the host's prank.

What do you think of this story? Did you watch this news segment live? Let us know in the comments below!

Stefanovic is an idiot - but maybe in this case it's prophetic. Let's hope so. It's hardly new that he does this kind of juvenile stuff.

View attachment 36731

Key Takeaways

typical of this idiot. He thinks he can sing, dance and be funny. HE'S NOT ANY OF THEM. I personally can't stand him and have changed channel many times because of his stupidity. I long to see the back of him. If you call a story like this funny then heaven help you. Well done Sarah. I'm sure Mr Obama would not see the humour in this story.

View attachment 36731

Key Takeaways

Just shows you how dumb the MEDIA thinks we are. I honestly don't believe this is TRUE Aussie humor.

View attachment 36731

Key Takeaways

The downside is that it wasn't true.

• Haha
Reactions: magpie1 and Jest
Just shows you how dumb the MEDIA thinks we are. I honestly don't believe this is TRUE Aussie humor.
That's why the media mob consider us to be "mushroom" people -- feed 'em bullshit and keep 'em in the dark. Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the general population.

• Haha
Reactions: magpie1 and Knell
Love that it is referred to as the typical "Australian sense of humour" - as opposed to...? Might just be the Stefanovic in him. The Today show is for a certain demographic.

Reactions: magpie1
this is the sort o crap that gets seen by ppl to not far down the track they believe it to be real and a new urban myth is created. Every time I see clips on this site from the commercial network breakfast shows just reinforces my belief of how pathetic that people watch this for their news or current events. Pure juvenile deville.

this is the sort o crap that gets seen by ppl to not far down the track they believe it to be real and a new urban myth is created. Every time I see clips on this site from the commercial network breakfast shows just reinforces my belief of how pathetic that people watch this for their news or current events. Pure juvenile deville.
These people excel in fake news

Reactions: magpie1
Wonder what would happen if the opposition morning vomit session show put it out there that little Karl had dropped off the twig? Would a national day of mourning be declared or a national day of celebration?

Reactions: Hel