You Won't Believe What This Mum Found That Saved Her $94 a Week on Groceries

One mum has recently taken social media by storm after she revealed that she saved a whopping $94 on her weekly grocery shop.

The savvy shopper's secret? She switched her shopping from Coles to ALDI.

The mum-of-three has taken to Facebook to share how she managed to reduce her bill, confessing that she had been considering making the switch for weeks.

"I’ve been gearing up to swap from Coles to Aldi for weeks now, but 3 littles with influenza had stopped me until today. I finally got there!" the mum wrote in her post.

The mum decided to see how much she could save by doing an online Coles click and collect order, without actually processing the order, and getting the items as close as possible in terms of the type and quantity of products she would have typically bought.

After doing the maths, the mum claimed that she saved a staggering $94 on her weekly shop.

The mum shared: "This is a fairly standard-sized shop for me each week or sometimes fortnight (with a smaller shop on the alternate week), so if I can save this much each week that’s amazing!"

J9voDqzrK4u8eWPncCI9cZh3XBmhHJ2U1Djoz0mUnLsqq8XNOQCA4B1m7LQZda2C-sJrtSENMhZaS31YY4PuFduimbVw6vNtI6-tmUxUYY2iFif42npzeA7DmTbmzfBUJ8Uxdpr2nm9Chk-o
7R1w2G33xEris23k45YTKOiCSkoA0XVjZtPrJSacY7nJVnBIvJLvixFeNK5IwuWXqAC7xE8YZH5p9Ra4J0jtWZtTEmYFGBWzEvGzV1Bi03oYOTuKlMAOd1r3DOowP-yLQNb4D-RU-iULqoFk

Side by side comparison of the mum’s grocery bill from ALDI (left) and the click-and-collect bill from Coles (right). Credit: Facebook/Aldi Mums.

The post has gone viral, amassing more than 1,300 likes and hundreds of comments from users who are excited about the savings.

One person wrote: "I love Aldi. Like you said it’s just hard actually getting into the store. We save so much money and just get fruit and veg from a greengrocer and some extra things from Woolies."

"I’ve recently made the swap too and I love it! Still a couple of things I head to Woolies for afterwards, but saving so much!!" another woman added.

One mum said that shopping at ALDI is also a breeze given that there aren't as many aisles to go through so it also saves you time, especially when you're in a rush.

The woman wrote: "You will probably find once you’re used to the store and know where things are it will be a much faster trip than Coles."

"There aren’t as many aisles to go through and the checkout is much quicker too. Even though we often complain about having items thrown at us for us to pack."

Others joked about how the special buys always "trick" them into nabbing items that they weren't planning to purchase, hence, the reason why shopping at ALDI is not budget-friendly.

One woman said: "You may save $100 at Aldi - until you get to the middle aisle and buy a new jackhammer that you didn't know you needed!"

"I love it! You just have to make sure you don’t go in for milk and leave with a chainsaw or something haha," another added.

A third chimed in: "If I want to save money I stay well away from Aldi cause every time I go there I leave with an array of crap I don’t need from the middle aisle."

87b1QEQMZXwg1QHQx2MnEyvbR0kB7XQ9_HqTyl-RgZu7pm2ObFSukwfBRxAISv-Dp9J9XVMJndF2kRh7qiRCo4nXJXDKfg-k1QxBDKE6bgphk21fOIkT6z4X3m1XGjO7Vfqjl9LcPBX6xzcu

Several shoppers backed the mum’s claim, saying that they also saved a few dollars by shopping at ALDI. Credit: Getty Images.

While a lot of people shared how they scored bargains at the retailer, several pointed out that the reason why the mum was able to save $94 was that she compared ALDI's own brands to branded goods at Coles.

One user claimed: "It comes down to the generic brands if you are comparing the ALDI brands to big name brands it is not accurate as coles brand will give you a more accurate price comparison."

"I get what you said about comparing to your usual shop.. but you might be surprised if you tried your normal coles shop with mostly no name brand items because that’s effectively what you have done with ALDI," another added.

"I have found in the past that the price is actually cheaper than Aldi, and I also still get to click and collect."

The comments prompted the mum to add a note in her original post, explaining that the point of her post was to compare her normal Coles purchases with the bill she incurred from shopping at ALDI.

The mum wrote: "Yes, I know if I bought everything home brand at Coles it would be cheaper and maybe more comparable to the items, but that’s not the point of this comparison. I wanted to compare my Aldi shop to my NORMAL Coles purchases."

UerqPAjIwMtwBrvZDnQOb66rDFkvaT4tQEcFe5QoLeRPifFCELsc4lQAXHvt99DKEMNiWGVPhYXAwPjC8QjlPBwe3dfTs1CRnP68prK2ZVg_yw94OnrUkE4ztIDUX6Hk6EJHsMScaetRNrP6

Other shoppers joked about how the Special Buys at the German retailer trick them into purchasing more items. Credit: Getty Images.

Others defended the mum, claiming that some people misunderstood the intent of the comparison.

One user wrote: "If the comparison was done on the food she normally buys then the comparison is 100% spot on for her! Well done lady - $94 better off in your pocket."

"I think people are missing the point when talking about it not being a fair comparison. Coles/Woolies brands would not compare to the Aldi version," another explained.

"Aldi has tried to design them to be a ‘knock off’ version of the real brands. In some cases better in my opinion. You don’t go to woollies and coles to buy all home brand stuff as it tends to be just your basics. You go to Aldi and shop for everything…so in my opinion, I think you did an awesome shop. $94 is money better off in your pocket! Well done."

We noticed that one of the popular grocery-bill-reducing tips from many savvy shoppers is to shop around, and this story just proved that you can definitely save a few dollars by purchasing items from different supermarkets if you have the time.

What are your thoughts on this story? Better yet, have you experienced similar instances where you reduced your bill by shopping around? Share your stories with us in the comments below!

Reactions: BJM and Ricci
Sponsored
One mum has recently taken social media by storm after she revealed that she saved a whopping $94 on her weekly grocery shop.

The mum-of-three has taken to Facebook to share how she managed to reduce her bill, confessing that she had been considering making the switch for weeks.

"I’ve been gearing up to swap from Coles to Aldi for weeks now, but 3 littles with influenza had stopped me until today. I finally got there!" the mum wrote in her post.

The mum decided to see how much she could save by doing an online Coles click and collect order, without actually processing the order, and getting the items as close as possible in terms of the type and quantity of products she would have typically bought.

After doing the maths, the mum claimed that she saved a staggering $94 on her weekly shop.

The mum shared: "This is a fairly standard-sized shop for me each week or sometimes fortnight (with a smaller shop on the alternate week), so if I can save this much each week that’s amazing!"

J9voDqzrK4u8eWPncCI9cZh3XBmhHJ2U1Djoz0mUnLsqq8XNOQCA4B1m7LQZda2C-sJrtSENMhZaS31YY4PuFduimbVw6vNtI6-tmUxUYY2iFif42npzeA7DmTbmzfBUJ8Uxdpr2nm9Chk-o
7R1w2G33xEris23k45YTKOiCSkoA0XVjZtPrJSacY7nJVnBIvJLvixFeNK5IwuWXqAC7xE8YZH5p9Ra4J0jtWZtTEmYFGBWzEvGzV1Bi03oYOTuKlMAOd1r3DOowP-yLQNb4D-RU-iULqoFk

Side by side comparison of the mum’s grocery bill from ALDI (left) and the click-and-collect bill from Coles (right). Credit: Facebook/Aldi Mums.

The post has gone viral, amassing more than 1,300 likes and hundreds of comments from users who are excited about the savings.

One person wrote: "I love Aldi. Like you said it’s just hard actually getting into the store. We save so much money and just get fruit and veg from a greengrocer and some extra things from Woolies."

"I’ve recently made the swap too and I love it! Still a couple of things I head to Woolies for afterwards, but saving so much!!" another woman added.

One mum said that shopping at ALDI is also a breeze given that there aren't as many aisles to go through so it also saves you time, especially when you're in a rush.

The woman wrote: "You will probably find once you’re used to the store and know where things are it will be a much faster trip than Coles."

"There aren’t as many aisles to go through and the checkout is much quicker too. Even though we often complain about having items thrown at us for us to pack."

Others joked about how the special buys always "trick" them into nabbing items that they weren't planning to purchase, hence, the reason why shopping at ALDI is not budget-friendly.

One woman said: "You may save $100 at Aldi - until you get to the middle aisle and buy a new jackhammer that you didn't know you needed!"

"I love it! You just have to make sure you don’t go in for milk and leave with a chainsaw or something haha," another added.

A third chimed in: "If I want to save money I stay well away from Aldi cause every time I go there I leave with an array of crap I don’t need from the middle aisle."

87b1QEQMZXwg1QHQx2MnEyvbR0kB7XQ9_HqTyl-RgZu7pm2ObFSukwfBRxAISv-Dp9J9XVMJndF2kRh7qiRCo4nXJXDKfg-k1QxBDKE6bgphk21fOIkT6z4X3m1XGjO7Vfqjl9LcPBX6xzcu

Several shoppers backed the mum’s claim, saying that they also saved a few dollars by shopping at ALDI. Credit: Getty Images.

While a lot of people shared how they scored bargains at the retailer, several pointed out that the reason why the mum was able to save $94 was that she compared ALDI's own brands to branded goods at Coles.

One user claimed: "It comes down to the generic brands if you are comparing the ALDI brands to big name brands it is not accurate as coles brand will give you a more accurate price comparison."

"I get what you said about comparing to your usual shop.. but you might be surprised if you tried your normal coles shop with mostly no name brand items because that’s effectively what you have done with ALDI," another added.

"I have found in the past that the price is actually cheaper than Aldi, and I also still get to click and collect."

The comments prompted the mum to add a note in her original post, explaining that the point of her post was to compare her normal Coles purchases with the bill she incurred from shopping at ALDI.

The mum wrote: "Yes, I know if I bought everything home brand at Coles it would be cheaper and maybe more comparable to the items, but that’s not the point of this comparison. I wanted to compare my Aldi shop to my NORMAL Coles purchases."

UerqPAjIwMtwBrvZDnQOb66rDFkvaT4tQEcFe5QoLeRPifFCELsc4lQAXHvt99DKEMNiWGVPhYXAwPjC8QjlPBwe3dfTs1CRnP68prK2ZVg_yw94OnrUkE4ztIDUX6Hk6EJHsMScaetRNrP6

Other shoppers joked about how the Special Buys at the German retailer trick them into purchasing more items. Credit: Getty Images.

Others defended the mum, claiming that some people misunderstood the intent of the comparison.

One user wrote: "If the comparison was done on the food she normally buys then the comparison is 100% spot on for her! Well done lady - $94 better off in your pocket."

"I think people are missing the point when talking about it not being a fair comparison. Coles/Woolies brands would not compare to the Aldi version," another explained.

"Aldi has tried to design them to be a ‘knock off’ version of the real brands. In some cases better in my opinion. You don’t go to woollies and coles to buy all home brand stuff as it tends to be just your basics. You go to Aldi and shop for everything…so in my opinion, I think you did an awesome shop. $94 is money better off in your pocket! Well done."

We noticed that one of the popular grocery-bill-reducing tips from many savvy shoppers is to shop around, and this story just proved that you can definitely save a few dollars by purchasing items from different supermarkets if you have the time.

What are your thoughts on this story? Better yet, have you experienced similar instances where you reduced your bill by shopping around? Share your stories with us in the comments below!

I have been an Aldi convert for years. As for the middle aisle, you lust need to be a bit more in control.
I always compare the packaging to ''known'' brand and find that if it looks familiar it is. Packed in the same warehouse!! Even if i only save 30-50c on items that soon adds up to $20. Unlike other supermarkets thsy don't change the layout or item locations either. You know you walk in and veges, meat, dairy is all on the one side of the store. Other supermarkets change stock locations so that customers have to walk around trying to locate an item that was in aisle 4 last week, is now in aisle 7. They trick you into seeing items you're not really looking for, but purchase impulsively.
I like the fact that ai also see the same staff regularly and have built up rapport with them. I find it a little more personal.
Of course some items are not available (eg diet cordials, my cats favourite biscuits and my preferred brand of coffee beans), so I hit the other supermarkets when I see these things on special.
Long Live ALDI

Reactions: Ricci

Have found Aldi products are more than Comparable to Coles sometimes better🤔🇦🇺👍

Aldi doesn't cater to food intolerances well at all. Most of my staples aren't in their stores- so no save. I bulk when others have item on specials.

I do my big shop at Aldi every Monday,it’s the best ♥️♥️
On Saturdays I do a little shop at Coles .Works well for me!

friends on my PC, remember my spiel on Aldi? From the first day Aldi came to Croydon & Chirnside Park I was in like Flynn. I have saved heaps being faithful. My family took ages to change. Now elderly without a car my nephew has come to the rescue for me, bless him. He shops all round being younger & more virile, but I don't lose out. Bless him. Thanks Bruce. xx Aldi is close to my Doctor so I never miss out.

False economy for me as we don't like the taste of many of their products. Their cheese tastes o.k. but does not crisp up when cooked. However I do buy their stollen at Christmas. There is a cheaper green grocer in the same complex and i shop there - they sell mis-shapen fruit and often have fruit and vegetables not sold by Aldi - e.g. persimmons and celeriac, Just about impossible to do a full shop at Aldi's, they never have everything one wants.