You won't believe what this Aussie found in her Airbnb bedroom: 'I've just woken up to a crime scene!’

We all love a good holiday anecdote, but this Australian had a rather unexpected tale to share after her peaceful getaway turned into a wildlife encounter of a very close kind. You might even say it was a bed-crashing adventure!

Shannon, an Australian mum, was looking forward to a relaxing weekend away when she booked her Airbnb accommodation. Little did she know she'd be sharing her bed with an uninvited guest! After a peaceful night’s sleep, Shannon awoke to a shocking sight—the other side of her bed was covered in animal urine and poo. Talk about a rude awakening!

1684996816800.png
Shannon, a mother, had a rather unexpected and unfortunate experience during her stay at an Airbnb. Source: shan.wright/Instagram

'I've just woken up to a crime scene, and I didn't know about it all night,' Shannon said in an Instagram video documenting her unexpected encounter. She discovered a sneaky possum had scurried down the chimney and joined her in bed.

Despite sharing her bed with the nocturnal marsupial, Shannon remarkably slept right through it all. She didn't even notice when the possum made its great escape early the next day, but the evidence it left behind was more than enough for her to piece together what had happened.

Shannon showed the aftermath of the possum's night-long adventure in her now-viral video: 'I slept on that side of the bed, and I've woken up, and this is here. We're in a beautiful Airbnb, and something has slept with me, and I don't know what it was.'

After reporting the issue, the Airbnb hosts were quick to respond and solve the problem. They caught the cheeky possum, who was still hiding in the fireplace, replaced the mattress and sheets, and boarded up the chimney to prevent any future furry encounters.

Shannon was pleased with the hosts' efforts, saying, 'The Airbnb hosts have been incredible. We went sightseeing today, and they came—new mattress, new linen, everything thrown out.' However, she admitted that the experience left her a little uneasy.

'Can confirm, though, I did not sleep very well,' she added.

The videos of Shannon's 'unfortunate holiday incident' quickly gained traction online. One person chimed in with, ‘I would be booking into a hotel quick smart.'

Another commenter expressed their admiration: 'Your host did such a fantastic job of taking accountability and immediate action!'

Health Risks from Possums or Other Pests​

When it comes to possums or other pests living in your home, there are a range of health risks associated with the animals and their droppings. These risks can include diseases and parasites, as well as potential allergies.

There are several diseases transmitted from possums or other animals in the home, including salmonellosis, rabies, ringworm, roundworm and hantavirus. Even if the possums and rodents are unswallowed, they can spread the disease-causing bacteria to humans through contact with contaminated areas or surfaces. This is why it is essential to keep your home clean and free from these kinds of pests.

In addition to the risk of disease, there is also the potential for allergies. Pests, such as possums, mice, cockroaches and fleas, can all carry allergens such as dust mites, pet dander and mould spores. These allergens can be spread through the air, making it difficult to avoid them altogether.

It is important to remember that the threat posed by possums and other pests in your home is real. For this reason, it is best to take preventative measures, such as keeping your home clean, ventilating properly, sealing up any cracks to reduce the risk of having any unwelcome visitors in your home.

Key Takeaways
  • An Aussie on holiday woke up to find her Airbnb bed covered in animal urine and poo due to an uninvited possum she had been sharing the bed with.
  • The possum had entered the bedroom through the chimney during the night and left the mess before disappearing early the next day.
  • The Airbnb hosts quickly helped rectify the situation by catching the possum, replacing the mattress and sheets, and boarding up the fireplace.
  • The videos of Shannon's experience were viewed over 114,000 times and received various responses from people expressing shock, sympathy, and admiration for her calmness.
Have you ever encountered any unexpected surprises or encounters during your stay at accommodation? Whether it's a possum sneaking in through a chimney or something entirely different, we'd love to hear your stories. Remember to always double-check your accommodations before settling in for the night. Sharing your experiences can help fellow travellers make informed choices when booking their next holiday.

Sponsored
We all love a good holiday anecdote, but this Australian had a rather unexpected tale to share after her peaceful getaway turned into a wildlife encounter of a very close kind. You might even say it was a bed-crashing adventure!

Shannon, an Australian mum, was looking forward to a relaxing weekend away when she booked her Airbnb accommodation. Little did she know she'd be sharing her bed with an uninvited guest! After a peaceful night’s sleep, Shannon awoke to a shocking sight—the other side of her bed was covered in animal urine and poo. Talk about a rude awakening!

View attachment 20688
Shannon, a mother, had a rather unexpected and unfortunate experience during her stay at an Airbnb. Source: shan.wright/Instagram

'I've just woken up to a crime scene, and I didn't know about it all night,' Shannon said in an Instagram video documenting her unexpected encounter. She discovered a sneaky possum had scurried down the chimney and joined her in bed.

Despite sharing her bed with the nocturnal marsupial, Shannon remarkably slept right through it all. She didn't even notice when the possum made its great escape early the next day, but the evidence it left behind was more than enough for her to piece together what had happened.

Shannon showed the aftermath of the possum's night-long adventure in her now-viral video: 'I slept on that side of the bed, and I've woken up, and this is here. We're in a beautiful Airbnb, and something has slept with me, and I don't know what it was.'

After reporting the issue, the Airbnb hosts were quick to respond and solve the problem. They caught the cheeky possum, who was still hiding in the fireplace, replaced the mattress and sheets, and boarded up the chimney to prevent any future furry encounters.

Shannon was pleased with the hosts' efforts, saying, 'The Airbnb hosts have been incredible. We went sightseeing today, and they came—new mattress, new linen, everything thrown out.' However, she admitted that the experience left her a little uneasy.

'Can confirm, though, I did not sleep very well,' she added.

The videos of Shannon's 'unfortunate holiday incident' quickly gained traction online. One person chimed in with, ‘I would be booking into a hotel quick smart.'

Another commenter expressed their admiration: 'Your host did such a fantastic job of taking accountability and immediate action!'

Health Risks from Possums or Other Pests​

When it comes to possums or other pests living in your home, there are a range of health risks associated with the animals and their droppings. These risks can include diseases and parasites, as well as potential allergies.

There are several diseases transmitted from possums or other animals in the home, including salmonellosis, rabies, ringworm, roundworm and hantavirus. Even if the possums and rodents are unswallowed, they can spread the disease-causing bacteria to humans through contact with contaminated areas or surfaces. This is why it is essential to keep your home clean and free from these kinds of pests.

In addition to the risk of disease, there is also the potential for allergies. Pests, such as possums, mice, cockroaches and fleas, can all carry allergens such as dust mites, pet dander and mould spores. These allergens can be spread through the air, making it difficult to avoid them altogether.

It is important to remember that the threat posed by possums and other pests in your home is real. For this reason, it is best to take preventative measures, such as keeping your home clean, ventilating properly, sealing up any cracks to reduce the risk of having any unwelcome visitors in your home.

Key Takeaways

• An Aussie on holiday woke up to find her Airbnb bed covered in animal urine and poo due to an uninvited possum she had been sharing the bed with.
  • The possum had entered the bedroom through the chimney during the night and left the mess before disappearing early the next day.
  • The Airbnb hosts quickly helped rectify the situation by catching the possum, replacing the mattress and sheets, and boarding up the fireplace.
  • The videos of Shannon's experience were viewed over 114,000 times and received various responses from people expressing shock, sympathy, and admiration for her calmness.
Have you ever encountered any unexpected surprises or encounters during your stay at accommodation? Whether it's a possum sneaking in through a chimney or something entirely different, we'd love to hear your stories. Remember to always double-check your accommodations before settling in for the night. Sharing your experiences can help fellow travellers make informed choices when booking their next holiday.
I dont believe thats possum poo .
I've seen lots in my backyard and it doesn't look like that, sorry.

Definitely Possum Poo, yeh wish I could sleep that soundly, so glad the owners got straight onto it and fixed the problem after all they don't want a bad report.