You won't believe this Aussie messed up their front yard

Ah, life in the great outdoors! Nothing beats a stroll around the garden, followed by a relaxing cup of tea and a slice of cake.

But for one Aussie family, a day in the great outdoors took a turn for the worse when a husband's blunder turned their front yard into a 'mulch mountain'.

The incident began when the husband agreed to a tree lopper's offer of mulch ‘on a rushed phone call between work meetings’ while his wife was away.

What happened next made him realise why it wasn’t such a wise thing to do.

The wife, who was out then, posted about the 'hilarious surprise' that awaited her on social media. She found her house almost entirely obscured by an immense pile of wood chips.

'They say it is going to be a hot summer. Protect your plants and trees now! Bring your own shovel and some way to shift as much mulch as you want,' she wrote, obviously in dire need of some help to get rid of the pile.

Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 8.21.10 PM.png
The wife came home to a mulch mountain after her husband accepted mulch from a tree lopper. Credit: Facebook

The responses to her post were overwhelming, showing interest in taking some of the mulch and asking for her address. A big part of why so many people reached out in solidarity to her and her family was because they had faced a similar situation before.

Meanwhile, others have joked with her about the incident.

One person said, ‘We walked past and saw it the other day and wondered if you were building the extension with mulch.’

‘Oh babe, I know a few people stung by the tree lopper, including myself,’ said another commenter.

After receiving several responses from the post, the wife shared her progress report on the mulch.

‘I've quit my job to manage the social media presence of the mulch mountain,’ she jokingly said.

However, this situation is not uncommon. Last year, a disabled pensioner had been left devastated when a truckload of mulch arrived in her driveway despite only having asked for a 'small amount' for her garden. On that occasion, the sheer volume of wood chips had been so immense that she could not even get into her garage.

If anyone is trying to get rid of mulch in their garden, potting them may cause serious risks to your health.

In a previous article, the Health Executive Director of New South Wales warned avid gardeners to be cautious in potting mix, mulch, or compost as they may acquire Legionella bacteria, which causes Legionnaire’s disease. You can check this story here to know more.

Key Takeaways

• A woman returned home to find her house almost hidden behind a large amount of mulch due to her husband's misunderstanding on a phone call with a tree lopper.
  • The wife attempted to offload some of the mulch by inviting online users in a community group to shovel and take as much as they wanted.
  • Others shared similar stories of being overwhelmed with unexpectedly large amounts of mulch from tree loppers.
  • This incident follows a similar situation from last year when a disability pensioner could not access her garage due to a large pile of mulch dumped on her driveway by a tree lopper.

Have you experienced the same situation as this story? How did you deal with the mulch? Share your story with us in the comments below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
I used to say a large truck every second year for a carton of beer. A solid weekend and the pile was gone. It was a semi load style truck load so there was plenty of it. I put it out about 6 inches thick and it was gone in a couple of years. I lived on non wetting sand so was worth it.
Reading a bit of that article I suppose I will have to put away my shorts and t shirt and put on full hazmat protective clothing!!!!

We have solved our delivery problems.
We don't have a garden.
When we downsized, we were already approaching the golden age. So the house was planned so that we do not have to do anything that may cause us stress, or harm.
We have artificial turf on our tiny little front yard. Not enough room for a garden of any kind. So, I have potted plants strategically placed around the driveway, front porch, back deck and inside. No mulch required.
Gardens are nice, but their upkeep can cause no end of dramas, including a mountain of mulch.

Gardening is a very expensive hobby.
I live on a 1/4acre block so have a lot of garden.Every year close to $1000 worth of bark mulch, along with Wettasoil for our dry soil here in WA,fertilisers, etc.
But nothing beats a nice garden

Reactions: MariaG
Gardening is a very expensive hobby.
I live on a 1/4acre block so have a lot of garden.Every year close to $1000 worth of bark mulch, along with Wettasoil for our dry soil here in WA,fertilisers, etc.
But nothing beats a nice garden
When I was younger, there was nothing like seeing things grow because of our hard work.
Those days are behind me and I really don't mind.
Enjoy your days digging, mowing, weeding and breathing in the fresh air. Remember though, slip, slop, slap.

When I was younger, there was nothing like seeing things grow because of our hard work.
Those days are behind me and I really don't mind.
Enjoy your days digging, mowing, weeding and breathing in the fresh air. Remember though, slip, slop, slap.
Definitely I've had so many skin cancers I've lost count
Years of horse riding in the sun.