You won't believe the outrageous banana act a Woolworths shopper got caught doing at the check-out!

As the old saying goes, 'Every little bit helps,' but we here at Seniors Discount Club were left bemused when we stumbled across this story about a frugal shopper trying to save a few dollars on their grocery bill at Woolworths.

For many of our members, the thrill of finding a great bargain is unmatched. But as we read this tale about a man’s unusual money-saving tip, we couldn't help but wonder if he took the quest for a good deal just a little too far.

1686113841270.png
The girlfriend of a thrifty shopper has unveiled her partner's unconventional money-saving technique at Woolies, resulting in over a 10% discount at the checkout. Image by TheDigitalArtist from pixabay

So, what exactly was this shopper's peculiar trick? Well, he was caught on camera peeling his bananas and weighing them at the checkout! And all of this was recorded and shared by his girlfriend on social media, where she wrote: 'How my frugal boyfriend saves money on his bananas.'

In the video, the man selects a banana from the produce section, removes the peel, puts the banana in a plastic bag, and walks over to the self-serve checkout. The goal, of course, is to save money by only paying for the actual weight of the fruit and not the peel.

You can check out the video here:

As it turns out, the tactic might not have been worth the hassle. According to a study from the New Mexico State University, a banana peel accounts for about 12.5% of the fruit's total weight. So, with bananas costing around 80 cents each, the man's trick saved him a total of 10 cents.

Social media users were quick to give their two cents on this banana debacle, with many advising his girlfriend that his actions were a red flag for their relationship.

One user commented, 'That’s not frugal; that’s a penny pincher.'

Another added, 'Real frugal people weigh them without a bag.'

Meanwhile, one individual joked, 'Break up with him and call the cops.'

1686113841408.png
The man's money-saving trick at Woolies involves an interesting approach: peeling a banana, discarding the peel, and then weighing only the fruit at the checkout counter to secure a discount. Source: Savingforboba/TikTok

While the lengths this man went to save such a small amount might seem extreme, a survey conducted last year exposed numerous tactics shoppers used to save money.

At least 10% of respondents admitted to deliberately scanning the wrong items at the checkout, and millions of others confessed to self-scanning expensive items as cheaper alternatives.

Coles and Woolworths have caught wind of these tricks and have since introduced surveillance cameras and high-tech scanning systems to reduce the number of incorrectly scanned items. The Global Retail Theft Barometer estimates that Coles loses roughly $891 million annually in theft, while Woolworths suffers up to $1 billion annually.

Key Takeaways
  • A woman shared her boyfriend's bizarre money-saving tip of peeling bananas before weighing them at the checkout.
  • The man's strange method saves him more than 10% at the checkout by disposing of the peel (around 10 cents per banana).
  • Social media users criticised the shopper and advised his girlfriend that such behaviour was a major red flag for their relationship.
  • Coles and Woolworths have introduced surveillance cameras and high-tech scanning systems to cut down on the number of items incorrectly scanned, with Coles losing an estimated $891 million per year in theft and Woolworths losing up to $1 billion per year.
So, members, what are your thoughts on this? Is it a stroke of genius, or does it cross the line? We'll leave it up to you to decide!

In the meantime, let's continue to enjoy the satisfaction of saving with the Seniors Discount Club, where the only surprise will be how much you save—without resorting to any banana peel tricks! Happy shopping, everyone!

Sponsored
As the old saying goes, 'Every little bit helps,' but we here at Seniors Discount Club were left bemused when we stumbled across this story about a frugal shopper trying to save a few dollars on their grocery bill at Woolworths.

For many of our members, the thrill of finding a great bargain is unmatched. But as we read this tale about a man’s unusual money-saving tip, we couldn't help but wonder if he took the quest for a good deal just a little too far.

View attachment 21709
The girlfriend of a thrifty shopper has unveiled her partner's unconventional money-saving technique at Woolies, resulting in over a 10% discount at the checkout. Image by TheDigitalArtist from pixabay

So, what exactly was this shopper's peculiar trick? Well, he was caught on camera peeling his bananas and weighing them at the checkout! And all of this was recorded and shared by his girlfriend on social media, where she wrote: 'How my frugal boyfriend saves money on his bananas.'

In the video, the man selects a banana from the produce section, removes the peel, puts the banana in a plastic bag, and walks over to the self-serve checkout. The goal, of course, is to save money by only paying for the actual weight of the fruit and not the peel.

As it turns out, the tactic might not have been worth the hassle. According to a study from the New Mexico State University, a banana peel accounts for about 12.5% of the fruit's total weight. So, with bananas costing around 80 cents each, the man's trick saved him a total of 10 cents.

Social media users were quick to give their two cents on this banana debacle, with many advising his girlfriend that his actions were a red flag for their relationship.

View attachment 21710
The man's money-saving trick at Woolies involves an interesting approach: peeling a banana, discarding the peel, and then weighing only the fruit at the checkout counter to secure a discount. Source: Savingforboba/TikTok

While the lengths this man went to save such a small amount might seem extreme, a survey conducted last year exposed numerous tactics shoppers used to save money.

At least 10% of respondents admitted to deliberately scanning the wrong items at the checkout, and millions of others confessed to self-scanning expensive items as cheaper alternatives.

Coles and Woolworths have caught wind of these tricks and have since introduced surveillance cameras and high-tech scanning systems to reduce the number of incorrectly scanned items. The Global Retail Theft Barometer estimates that Coles loses roughly $891 million annually in theft, while Woolworths suffers up to $1 billion annually.

Key Takeaways

• A woman shared her boyfriend's bizarre money-saving tip of peeling bananas before weighing them at the checkout.
  • The man's strange method saves him more than 10% at the checkout by disposing of the peel (around 10 cents per banana).
  • Social media users criticised the shopper and advised his girlfriend that such behaviour was a major red flag for their relationship.
  • Coles and Woolworths have introduced surveillance cameras and high-tech scanning systems to cut down on the number of items incorrectly scanned, with Coles losing an estimated $891 million per year in theft and Woolworths losing up to $1 billion per year.
So, members, what are your thoughts on this? Is it a stroke of genius, or does it cross the line? We'll leave it up to you to decide!

In the meantime, let's continue to enjoy the satisfaction of saving with the Seniors Discount Club, where the only surprise will be how much you save—without resorting to any banana peel tricks! Happy shopping, everyone!

Coles and Woolworths "Suffer" from the costs of theft? When making billions on profits still. If I wrote this story, I wouldn't have used that wording lol. Of course, we all know "theft costs" are built into the retail costs. If theft was so much of a concern to them, they would act. It's much easier to charge their "loyal law abiding" customers. ( on a side note. Economic figures released today, show its Corporation profits that are responsible for the raising of inflation).

My goodness. I would never have even thought of scanning a less expensive item. Thanks for the tip. (Joking of course)

Reactions: Marj53 and Ezzy

View attachment 21709

View attachment 21710

Key Takeaways

Plan and simple THE BLOKE IS AN A#$HOLE and what he is doing is THEFT

not frugal... I would do the same... I break off the stem of the cucumber and of the broccoli. Bananas would go off if you peel them. As it is I used the banana skins and potatoes to make liquid fertiliser. Nothing is wasted.

I mainly do shopping online so that doesn't happen to me. My brother once told me about a man in thesupermarket that broke the stalks off the cherries he was buying. I thought that was stupid

View attachment 21709

View attachment 21710

Key Takeaways

What a DH...!!!

Absolutely ridiculous, and disgusting, I hope his hands are clean. Yes it is theft, and thanks members, now I know why I keep finding broccoli stumps when I go shopping. People do know the whole piece is edible, don't they?
1686185765426.png

Absolutely ridiculous, and disgusting, I hope his hands are clean. Yes it is theft, and thanks members, now I know why I keep finding broccoli stumps when I go shopping. People do know the whole piece is edible, don't they?
View attachment 21763
Broccoli stalks are the best bit. Peel them (or dont) and cut them into Stews, Soups or in Summer, Salads. Luv em!