You Won't Believe How This $8 Salvos Find Became a Treasure Worth Hundreds Overnight! Discover the Rare Item Hidden on Their Shelves!

Imagine walking into your local Salvos store, rummaging through the shelves lined with an assortment of knick-knacks and second-hand treasures, and stumbling upon an item that not only catches your eye but turns out to be a rare gem worth hundreds of dollars. This is precisely what happened to Laura Feeger, an eagle-eyed Aussie collector with a passion for ceramics, who found herself in a whirlwind of excitement and disbelief during a casual visit to a suburban Salvos store in outer Melbourne.

Laura, who had no particular expectations as she entered the thrift shop that Tuesday, was soon to experience a collector's dream. Nestled between some unassuming crystal pieces and striped mugs, she spotted a ceramic figure that seemed out of place—a piece that bore the distinctive marks of the celebrated Italian mid-century design house Bitossi.

The moment was surreal for Laura, who recounted, 'I had pivoted around to then see the cat staring back at me and it felt like I floated over to it.' Upon closer inspection, her collector's intuition was buzzing. She recognized the patterns used by Bitossi but had never encountered this particular shaped cat before. The excitement was palpable as she texted her best friend with photos exclaiming, 'What have I just found!?!?'

Screenshot 2024-06-13 103314.png
Laura spotted an $8 ceramic figure at the Salvos op shop. Image source: Laura Feeger

Laura's discovery quickly became the envy of the op-shop community when she shared her find on a social media forum dedicated to thrift store enthusiasts. Comments poured in, with fellow bargain hunters expressing their admiration and a touch of jealousy. 'You lucky cow!' one exclaimed, while another praised the find as 'bloody beautiful.' The sentiment was clear: Laura had struck gold.

However, with every treasure find, there's a hint of skepticism. Some questioned the authenticity of the piece, wondering if it was a genuine Bitossi. After all, the world of collectibles is rife with replicas and fakes, and the $8 price tag seemed too good to be true for such a rare item.

The Salvos, known for their charity work and affordable second-hand goods, have faced criticism for rising prices that some argue no longer serve the community's needs. But in Laura's case, the price was a steal, prompting her to consider the possibility of a counterfeit. Bitossi pieces are often imitated, and the fear of owning a knock-off loomed over her initial excitement.

Determined to get to the bottom of it, Laura sought confirmation from a renowned Bitossi collector, who not only verified the ceramic cat's authenticity but also provided an astonishing valuation—between $500 and $1000.

Screenshot 2024-06-13 104044.png
The ceramic turned out to be an authentic Bitossi piece, valued between $500-$1,000. Image source: Laura Feeger

Rather than cashing in on her unexpected windfall, Laura decided to keep the cat as a cherished addition to her collection, appreciating its rarity and the story behind it. She estimated the piece to be from the late '60s to '70s, a period known for its unique glazes and decors, making her find even more special.

As the news of Laura's discovery spread, Yahoo reached out to an independent expert to verify the potential value and authenticity of the Bitossi cat, further cementing its status as a rare treasure.

This story is a testament to the wonders that can be found within the walls of thrift stores like the Salvos. It's a reminder to all treasure hunters, whether you're a seasoned collector or a casual shopper, that hidden gems are waiting to be discovered. So next time you're browsing through a second-hand store, take a closer look—you never know what treasures you might unearth.

Key Takeaways
  • An Aussie collector found a potentially rare Bitossi ceramic cat at a Salvos store for $8.
  • The find sparked envy and delight among other collectors and op-shop enthusiasts on social media.
  • There was initial scepticism about the authenticity of the piece due to common fakes, but an expert confirmed its authenticity.
  • The ceramic cat, thought to be from the late 60s or 70s, could be valued between $500 to $1000, but the owner plans to keep it as part of her collection.

For our readers at the Seniors Discount Club, have you ever found a hidden gem at a thrift store or garage sale? Share your stories of unexpected treasures in the comments below, and let's celebrate the thrill of the hunt together!

Sponsored
About 35 years ago, I purchased a small trinket box at a charity fair, with mostly broken costume jewellery and beads for R5 (five South African Rand, probably about the same value as AU$5 at the time).

One of the rings, small enough to just fit my pinky finger, had 9 small authentic diamonds in it. ,
I never bothered to get a valuation on it and wore it for about 8 years until I lost it at a restaurant while I was rinsing my hands in a bowl of water, after eating spareribs while celebrating my first birthday here in Australia.
It got thrown out with the trash!

My dear friend a single mum bought a monopoly game at an op shop whilst away on holiday for her boys to play for $6 . Arriving home she opened it up and discovered $1000 hidden underneath the board so she contacted the shop which was 500 kilometres away and was told it came from a deceased estate so she could keep it . She said she felt blessed that day .

Just leaving for home, and op shop boss said "put this into the skip bin please" So, I looked at it, no way was I going to throw it. She said, keep it then, its nothing.
An original painting by a female artist. Upon investigating and corresponding with an art gallery, turned out to be worth $600.
Didn't tell boss,

Many years ago I was perusing our local tip shop and spotted a nice glass bottle on top of an old cupboard. As I lifted it down I could feel the heavy weight of it. I knew it was lead crystal. I asked the guy working there how much it was and he said $2. I still have it and have seen since similar ones for $80 and more.

I purchased a old Victorian silk wedding dress from salvos for 50c I had let my girls use it for dress ups for awhile then took it to an antique shop in Moore Park and received $350

I walked past a Salvos store yesterday and noticed an original cabbage patch doll and of course I purchased it. Now I need to research it.

I find the prices of op-shops have gone up dramatically. They should sell in particular clothes for a small price , as they all have been donated , also books , some op-shops sell them for $ 5.- or more . I often go to the smaller villages and some of them you can fill a bag for $2.- That is clothes or books . They hand you a cotton bag as well and the service is very friendly .
For books I go to the local library or get them from some stores where you take a book and bring back another book .
Also at the craft group , where I go , people bring in books , last week I had 4 books and there were so many , no limit to return them . I love browsing around op-shops , you never know when you find a bargain.

Reactions: Littleboy8
I find the prices of op-shops have gone up dramatically. They should sell in particular clothes for a small price , as they all have been donated , also books , some op-shops sell them for $ 5.- or more . I often go to the smaller villages and some of them you can fill a bag for $2.- That is clothes or books . They hand you a cotton bag as well and the service is very friendly .
For books I go to the local library or get them from some stores where you take a book and bring back another book .
Also at the craft group , where I go , people bring in books , last week I had 4 books and there were so many , no limit to return them . I love browsing around op-shops , you never know when you find a bargain.
The smaller op shops (not religious ones) have RENT, POWER, SECURITY, to pay for before thinking about profit for the year. By donating, you are keeping the smaller towns viable. Don't forget the hours us elderly put into these shops to keep them going is free, but we need coffee, tea and bickies to keep our strength up. And we smile with our service also.

Reactions: Littleboy8