You won’t believe it—Fearless grandmother took on the local council and won

In the realm of everyday frustrations, few trials match the enduring nuisance of a parking fine.

Yet, amidst the routine irritation lies a tale that defies expectations—a story where a mundane infraction evolved into a sprawling epic of administrative entanglements.

But how does a simple ticket evolve into a saga of bureaucratic complexities?

When it comes to parking fines, most of us would grumble, pay up, and move on. But not this grandmother.

Stephanie Bruce became a beacon of perseverance when she found herself in a David versus Goliath battle with her local council over a parking fine that spiralled from $92 to a staggering $559.

compressed-pexels-introspectivedsgn-12641792.jpeg
Stephanie Bruce was given a ticket for overstaying her parking space. Image Source: Pexels / Erik Mclean

The saga began in February 2023, when Stephanie enjoyed a leisurely coffee with a friend in Sorrento, Victoria.

Little did she know, this simple outing would lead to a year-long struggle.

Upon returning to her car, she discovered a $92 fine for overstaying her parking space.

‘I think I was there for about three hours when I got back to the car, (I found a) little ticket on my windscreen, saying I got a $92 fine,’ she recounted.

Stephanie did what most law-abiding citizens would do: she promptly paid the fine.

Expecting the matter to be closed, she went on holiday.

However, upon her return, she was met with a rude shock.

A letter awaited her, claiming the fine hadn't been paid and had now increased to $182.

Confident in her actions, Stephanie provided proof of payment, including the reference number from the Mornington Peninsula Shire Council, assuming this would resolve the issue.

‘I've got the paperwork. I've got the reference number from Mornington Council to say that it had been paid. Gave them the details and thought that would be it,’ she said.

But the council was relentless, and the fine continued to grow, eventually reaching a jaw-dropping $559 as enforcement fees piled up.

The situation escalated when the council referred the infringement to Fines Victoria, who pursued Stephanie with increasing intensity, even threatening her with arrest.

‘It's not nice to have that hanging over your head,’ Stephanie said.

Finally, after more than a year of back-and-forth, the council conducted an investigation and discovered the fine had been paid to the wrong infringement number.

With this revelation, the matter was withdrawn, and Stephanie's tenacity paid off.

Stephanie's ordeal shines a light on a broader issue.

Across Australia, councils are transitioning to a new parking fine system that could potentially ‘reduce transparency’ for drivers.

The Northern Beaches Council in NSW has introduced the Revenue NSW ‘Print and Post’ system, which means parking notices will no longer be left on windscreens but instead ‘uploaded onto the server’ and sent to the car owner via email or post within 2-3 days.

This new system, already adopted by about 38 councils in NSW, raises concerns for drivers who wish to contest fines.

Without immediate notification, they may not be aware of a fine until days or even weeks later, complicating the appeals process and potentially leading to situations similar to Stephanie's.

Stephanie's story is not just a tale of one woman's fight against a parking fine; it's a cautionary tale about the importance of keeping meticulous records and standing up for oneself in the face of administrative errors.

Just recently, an administrative error overcharged thousands of Aussie drivers, many of whom are yet to be refunded.

Read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways
  • A grandmother fought a year-long battle with the Mornington Peninsula Shire Council over a parking fine of $92 she had already paid.
  • The fine eventually increased to $559 due to additional enforcement fees, despite her having proof of payment.
  • The issue was eventually resolved after an investigation found the payment was made to the wrong infringement number, and the council decided to withdraw the matter.
  • Concerns have been raised about a new parking fine system being adopted by councils in New South Wales, which could reduce transparency for drivers and delay notification of fines.
Do you have a story, tip, or experience with parking fines and new systems? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Thank goodness for Stephanie's perseverance and that this matter was finally resolved, as it should have been as soon as the council were notified that the fine had been paid. It doesn't say much for the investigating staff at the council that this was allowed to be dragged on for such a ridiculous amount of time before investigating it properly and discovering their own error! Such a simple error should have been the first thing to be suspected and investigated. Good on you, Stephanie for your persistence and stamina :)

Whose mistake was it? Did Stephanie insert an incorrect digit when making the original payment & the fine was paid to that number or did the Council’s staff or system incorrectly post the payment to the wrong number thereby showing Stephanie’s fine as being unpaid? That’s the conundrum here.

Whose mistake was it? Did Stephanie insert an incorrect digit when making the original payment & the fine was paid to that number or did the Council’s staff or system incorrectly post the payment to the wrong number thereby showing Stephanie’s fine as being unpaid? That’s the conundrum here.
My thoughts exactly. Why couldn't the council just admit that maybe their staff are human & can actually make an error. A wrong number being used appears to be a common problem. I always double check when transposing information like that mentioned.

Reactions: Marj53
I'll bet my bottom dollar it was the Council's stuff up
I've had similar happen to me with Centrelink. Accusing me of attempted fraud. In both cases, despite me providing all the required information, under my CRN number, some twit in their department had filed it on my daughter's file. Once I can accept they made an error, twice total incompetence.