'You never expect it to happen to you': Two ordinary Aussies become millionaires overnight after taking home $200 million Powerball jackpot

In lotteries, dreams can come true overnight.

This was the case for two lucky Australians who recently won a share of the $200 million Powerball jackpot.

The winners, hailing from New South Wales and Queensland, are now part of an exclusive club of multi-millionaires, thanks to the record-breaking Powerball draw 1466.

The anticipation had been building for a week leading up to the draw, and when the numbers were finally revealed, two lives were changed forever.

However, the identity of one of the winners remains a mystery, as lottery officials are still waiting for them to come forward.

SDC 1.jpg
Two lucky Australians have won the $200 million Powerball jackpot. Image source: The Lott.

On the other hand, a couple from Singleton in NSW were shocked to discover their incredible win.

The residents of Hunter River were lying in bed when they realised their lives had taken a dramatic turn.

'I just had a look a moment ago,' the woman said.

'You joke about winning but never expect it to happen to you.'

The enormity of their win is still sinking in.

'It's a lot of money. A lot of money to fathom,' she added.

According to the couple, they will celebrate their win with their loved ones. But beyond that, they have 'no idea' what will come next.

'There's always a lot of hypothetical questions of what I would want to do, but now I'm just lost for words.'

However, the idea of an overseas tour is already on the horizon.

'Maybe an overseas tour. I think I want to see everywhere,' the woman mused.

However, this win is not just a life-changer for them, but also for their children.

'It's going to help our children immensely,' she said.

As for whether they will be heading back to work, the winner joked: 'I mean, honestly, do I really need to?'

Meanwhile, lottery officials are eagerly awaiting the second winner to check their ticket and have urged Queensland players to do so.

'We can't wait to unite this mystery winner with their life-changing prize and have that incredibly special conversation about what their future might hold,' Anna Hobdell, a spokesperson from The Lott, said.

'If you discover you’re the multi-millionaire we’re searching for, call 131 868 to begin the process of claiming your prize.'

In addition to the two Division One winners, there were also 22 Division Two winners, who each took home a prize of $177,000.

The winning numbers in Powerball draw 1446 on Thursday were 12, 33, 23, 35, 1, 26 and 32, and the Powerball number was 10.

In other news, stories from across Australia shared on social media revealed how winning the lottery and suddenly coming into millions can destroy relationships and financial security.

What starts as excitement often dissolves into despair—as temptation, poor financial decisions, and dysfunctional family dynamics take their toll.

One spoke about a family member who won over a million dollars and spent most of it on extravagant purchases in a week, despite getting financial advice after winning the lottery.

The outpouring of stories also brings to mind more infamous stories of post-win misfortunes such as Sherif Girgis, Bazil Thorne, Maria Devrell, and more!

You can read more about their different stories here.
Key Takeaways
  • Two Australians, one from New South Wales and one from Queensland, have won the division one prize in the record-breaking $200 million Powerball draw.
  • Lottery officials are still waiting for one of the Division One winners to come forward, while a couple from Singleton, NSW, have acknowledged their win.
  • The Singleton couple are astonished and still deciding what to do with their winnings, with thoughts of celebrating and possibly travelling overseas.
  • The Lott spokesperson urged Queensland players to check their tickets and come forward to claim their prize.
  • There were also 22 Division Two winners, each securing $177,000.
Members, what would you do if you won the lottery? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Make sure my family had no more struggles, give some to cancer research, take a holiday with family, hire people to do some of the hard work we do. And a few other things that need a bit of thought put into them. That’s if it was the $100million,

Reactions: Ezzy
Haven't thought about it and would most likely have had a stroke before having time to make plans.
My main concern would be for my favourite charities and future of the younger family members.
Other than that, it's just a day dream.

Reactions: Ezzy and 52-KID
Need to plan this thoroughly if the occassion arrived.

I don't believe this is paid as a lump sum but over several years as a monthly payment.

I can dream can't l? Perhaps it is time to make a BUCKET LIST?

Yep, got myself a ticket. Bought a syndicate share to increase my chances, because 30 into $200 million still goes a very long way. And yes! I was a winner! The princely sum of $1.75 😹 well, there goes my early retirement plan

Reactions: Ezzy
Need to plan this thoroughly if the occassion arrived.

I don't believe this is paid as a lump sum but over several years as a monthly payment.

I can dream can't l? Perhaps it is time to make a BUCKET LIST?
It is a lump sum if you want it to be but apparently you don’t get the full winnings.🙀