My mother in law didn't think I was good enough for her daughter, we have been married for 42years. She did like me after a few years
Initially, my future mother in law didn't think much of me. Wife was married previously for 7 years and in a bad situation. With some help, she managed to escape some evil clutches.
I came on to the scene soon afterwards, and mother was defensive. That was understandable.
After 2 years, we did get married, and were happily so for 34 years.
She gave me some grief for the first few years but as time went by, she quietly made it known that I was her favourite son in law.

When my son got married his new father in law came to me and said " you realise you got the better end of the deal !!!! ( my friend standing near me wanted to hit him). My son and daughter in law are still very happily married (26 yrs) and the FIL's other 2 children are both divorced (1 twice) and had several partners.