Would you pay an extra $80 for this airline's unique offer: a guaranteed kid-free flight?

When it comes to flying these days, many factors can make or break our enjoyment of a trip. One area of contention is the unruly little passengers we all know and love: children.

We admit that being cooped up for long periods on a plane can be a stressful experience for both parent and child–and every other passenger on the plane.

One European airline has looked to solve this issue with a recent announcement–a guarantee that you won’t be disturbed by noisy kids during your flight.

Turkish-Dutch carrier Corendon Airlines has unveiled an innovative new concept to provide extra peace of mind for those who just want to relax during their flight: the ‘Only Adult’ zone.

compressed-shutterstock_1109479181.jpeg
Corendon Airlines launched the ‘Only Adult’ zone, which will exclude children from the area of the plane. Credit: Yavdat/Shutterstock

Starting November 3, Corendon will be reserving nine larger seats with extra legroom and 93 standard seats at the front of an Airbus A350 jet, which flies the route between Amsterdam and the Dutch-Caribbean island Curaçao. The option is available for passengers over the age of 16 only.

The airline says they’ll use walls and curtains to separate this section of the plane from the rest and provide a 'quiet and relaxed environment'.

But they don’t seem to be completely forgoing children altogether, suggesting this as an ideal way for parents to travel without worrying if their kids may be too noisy.

‘We also believe this can have a positive effect on parents travelling with small children,’ airline co-founder Mr Atilay Uslu said.

‘They can enjoy the flight without worrying if their children make more noise.’

That said, f you want to reserve one of these kid-free seats, you’d better be prepared to put down some extra cash.

A standard seat in the ‘Only Adult’ zone will come with an extra €45 ($76) one-way fee, with the larger seats costing €100 ($168).

compressed-shutterstock_2336823311.jpeg
Corendon Airlines will add a charge of $76-$168 for the seats in the ‘Only Adult’ zone. Credit: Kevin Hackert/Shutterstock

But it appears that many are perfectly willing to pay (and stay) up to avoid the possibility of a midair tantrum.

According to a news outlet poll of more than 29,000 people, 71 per cent voted that they’d like to see more 'kid-free flights'.

It’s worth noting that this isn’t a particularly unique concept in the airline industry.

Singapore budget airline Scoot has a dedicated ‘Scoot-in-Silence’ zone for passengers over 12, while Malaysian-based AirAsia X and Malaysia Airlines have also implemented their own forms of the same age-restricting policy on their own fleet of planes.

Japan Airlines even took the idea to a whole new level in 2019 with their now-famous ‘baby map’ system, which lets travellers see which seats have been claimed by passengers under the age of two before they even book their ticket.

Key Takeaways
  • Turkish-Dutch Corendon Airlines offers an 'Only Adult' zone on its flights between Amsterdam and Curaçao.
  • It will cost passengers an additional €45 ($76) one-way to reserve a standard seat and €100 ($168) for a large seat in this adult-only zone.
  • A poll earlier suggested that 71 per cent of people would like to see 'kid-free flights'.
  • Similar quiet or child-free zones are offered by several Asian airlines, including Singapore budget airline Scoot, AirAsia X, and Malaysia Airlines.

Of course, like in all things, balance is key. We should remember that children are a normal–and for many of us, an essential–part of going on a flight.

Treating our younger passengers with kindness, patience, and understanding is always the right way to go.

Members, if you’re looking to secure a ‘kid-free’ flight in the future and happy to pay the extra dollars, make sure you do your research first! Your chosen airline might offer the same option to you.

Are you willing to pay extra dollars to get into a child-free zone on the aeroplane? Let us know in the comments below!

Reactions: Ricki
Sponsored
I would definitely pay the extra. Friends of mine had paid $16000 for business class tickets only to have a screaming baby spoil their trip for hours on end. Instead of arriving refreshed and ready to hit the ground running for their work they spent two days catching up on much needed sleep. People pay these prices to get a superior and more comfortable experience.

Also, safer these days to have an exclusive male or female area as well. That way accusations of inappropriate "touching" are greatly reduced. Seat space is tight, I don't to be accused of inappropriate "touching" either by hand (reaching for the seat belt or seat adjustments) or leg touching (less likely). Read an article about a year ago where a guy was accused of inappropriate "touching" a female seated next to him after reaching for his seatbelt. The woman caused an in-flight incident, the cabin crew was able to move the guy to another seat but was further embarrassed at the flight's destination where he was met by authorities who rightfully dismissed the allegation. According to the article on speaking with cabin crew, although not common, its not the first time this happens.

I would definitely pay the extra. Friends of mine had paid $16000 for business class tickets only to have a screaming baby spoil their trip for hours on end. Instead of arriving refreshed and ready to hit the ground running for their work they spent two days catching up on much needed sleep. People pay these prices to get a superior and more comfortable experience.
A long time ago I was obliged to fly 1st Class as there was no other option available. The only problem was the overly loquacious twerp sitting next to me who kept telling me how important he was and how rich he was and then started chatting up the charming young waitresses across the work I had to get through before we landed. As for travelling steerage cattle class; done that far too often and it is rather strange that airlines discriminate against tall people by charging extra for those leg-room seats which have to be occupied by someone next to the mid-plane emergency exits.

I would rather travel by train; the old steam engines used by British Railways could quite happily get you around at 70mph and BR's long-distance express trains were efficient and comfortable. As for screaming babies; a wee nip of granny's gin would do the trick.... Don't airlines have those small bottles available?

I traveled back from overseas with an infection in both lungs. In the seat behind me a toddler cried ALL the way.Am sure his ears were playing up. Was a bad experience, but not as bad as adults who keep playing with their seats and being completely obnoxious.

Reactions: Ricki