SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
A

April Bradford

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2022
World Mental Health Day 2022

Members, it's so good to see you today!

Did you know today (Monday Oct 10th) is World Mental Health Day?

The theme of World Mental Health Day this year is ensuring mental health and well-being for all becomes a global priority, but this starts with focusing on and prioritising your own mental health.

So we wanted to ask, how are you feeling?

By being more open about our mental health, in good and bad times, we move towards a better, more compassionate and empathetic future.

The theme of World Mental Health Day this year is ensuring mental health and well-being for all becomes a global priority, but this starts with focusing on and prioritising your own mental health.

By being more open about our mental health, in good and bad times, we move towards a better, more compassionate and empathetic future.
I am suffering severely and just want everything and my pain to end.
I can’t get any help except for my fabulous GP but am very conscious of her many other patients. 😞

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci
I am suffering severely and just want everything and my pain to end.
I can’t get any help except for my fabulous GP but am very conscious of her many other patients. 😞
I'm so sorry to hear this @Lukey. Our GPs are there to help and if you need it, definitely give them a visit. It's a shame how long the wait times for Medicare Mental Health Care Plan therapy appointments are. We're always here to lend an ear when you need us!

I am so fed up with putting on a mask every time I go out that it's easier to stay at home. I'm tired of having to pretend everything is ok when it isn't. I have no-one to confide in as I'm scared I will be judged by the actions of others in my past. I know I'm a good person. My whole life is a lie, I just go through the motions daily but nothing changes as I can't talk of the horrendous events that turned my life upside down some six years ago. It's a heavy burden to carry but I can't put it aside.:(

Last edited:

Hi loneliness not been able to trust anyone have ptsd and depression I have 3 children in heaven it's so hard they went 27 years ago

• Sad
Don't get me started on Mental Health and how hard it is to see a doctor. My daughter was diagnosed with Schizophrenia more than 10 years ago. She has had 4 stints in a Mental Health unit at the local hospital. She has been released 3 times by the head doctor a day or so before they have to write up a report. Apparently in the Mental Health unit if you are in there for more than 25 days they have to do this big report so they send the patients home. Once he said she could leave and she had nowhere to go. When he called me I didn't even know she was being released. He said to me that I should have known as I was talking to the doctor. When I said the only doctor that I have spoken to was him and this is the first time I found out she had been released he said he had to go and hung up on me. I used to ring and when I visited her in the hospital I would ask to see someone and each time the answer was the doctor will call you. I am just glad I didn't hold my breath. I made a formal complaint to the Queensland Government regarding the said doctor and I do know there was a lot of things happening between the government and the doctor but I don't know the final outcome. It's sad to think that people that need help are being overlooked by incompetent professionals. I get it they see this every day but as a person either going through Mental health issues or family of someone that's going through it, don't get the help they need.

• Sad
I am so fed up with putting on a mask every time I go out that it's easier to stay at home. I'm tired of having to pretend everything is ok when it isn't. I have no-one to confide in as I'm scared I will be judged by the actions of others in my past. I know I'm a good person. My whole life is a lie, I just go through the motions daily but nothing changes as I can't talk of the horrendous events that turned my life upside down some six years ago. It's a heavy burden to carry but I can't put it aside.:(
Ricci If you keep it inside of you it will eat you up. 6 years is a long tome to be carrying this life changing burden around. It's hard to ask for help and it's harder to express yourself when you are keeping it bottled up inside of you. Write it down and then cut it up or burn it or something like that and hopefully once it is out, you might feel a bit better. Please call a helpline just so you don't have to carry this burden around with you always. You deserve to be happy . Sending you happy vibes and peace

@Ricci @Carmel Burke @Iggydi You are all so courageous to post here and you should be proud. There's no reason to keep our struggles to ourselves, there are so many people out there who want to see you at your happiest and will always lend an ear. I've included a few numbers you might like to jot down. You all deserve the very best and I'm sending you all my love

Lifeline provides 24-hour crisis counselling, support groups and suicide prevention services. Call 13 11 14, text on 0477 13 11 14 (12pm to midnight AEST) or chat online.
Beyond Blue aims to increase awareness of depression and anxiety and reduce stigma. Call 1300 22 4636, 24 hours/7 days a week, chat online or email.

Blue Knot Foundation Helpline is the National Centre of Excellence for Complex Trauma. It provides support, education and resources for the families and communities of adult survivors of childhood trauma and abuse. Call 1300 657 380, Monday – Sunday between 9am – 5pm AEST or via email [email protected].

FriendLine supports anyone who's feeling lonely, needs to reconnect or just wants a chat. You can call them 7 days a week on 1800 424 287, or chat online with one of their trained volunteers. All conversations with FriendLine are anonymous.

MensLine Australia is a professional telephone and online counselling service offering support to Australian men. Call 1300 78 99 78, 24 hours/7 days a week, chat online or organise a video chat.

MindSpot is a free telephone and online service for people with anxiety, stress, low mood or depression. It provides online assessment and treatment for anxiety and depression. MindSpot is not an emergency or instant response service. Call 1800 61 44 34.

SANE Australia provides support to anyone in Australia affected by complex mental health issues, as well as their friends, family members and health professionals. Call 1800 18 7263, 10am – 10pm AEST (Mon – Fri), or chat online.

Suicide Call Back Service provides 24/7 support if you or someone you know is feeling suicidal. Call 1300 659 467.

Open Arms — Veterans and Families Counselling provides 24/7 free and confidential counselling to anyone who has served at least one day in the ADF, their partners and families. Call 1800 011 046.

Head to Health provides free advice, assessment and referral into local mental health services. Call 1800 595 212 between 8:30am to 5pm on weekdays (public holidays excluded).

My daughter has schizophrenia, she attacked me with a hammer and next day set my house on fire while I was at work, she was admitted to a mental health unit at the hospital and stabbed nurse in the face with a pencil, all this happened within 5 days. Of my children she is the most loving person, it breaks my heart to see her medicated to nearly comatose, then when she is on meds she gets some semblence to normal. I can't have her in my house for 5 years, she isn't allowed to step foot on my property, so she misses Christmas, birthdays and Mother's Day. The whole family is affected when someone has a mental health problem

• Sad
My daughter has schizophrenia, she attacked me with a hammer and next day set my house on fire while I was at work, she was admitted to a mental health unit at the hospital and stabbed nurse in the face with a pencil, all this happened within 5 days. Of my children she is the most loving person, it breaks my heart to see her medicated to nearly comatose, then when she is on meds she gets some semblence to normal. I can't have her in my house for 5 years, she isn't allowed to step foot on my property, so she misses Christmas, birthdays and Mother's Day. The whole family is affected when someone has a mental health problem
Oh my @Linwar - you're clearly a very strong person. I hope you, your daughter, and the rest of your family get some peace and healing in the future.