Melaleuca

Oct 18, 2023
Woolworths stopping home deliveries

I just received the news that Woolworths intends to stop home deliveries from their stores on November 10. This is really a big hassle for me and I would imagine for many other seniors who do not drive. I prefer to shop in store and I do a weekly shop for myself and my partner which is much too
big for me to carry by myself. There is the option for shopping online but the nearest Woolworths is a Metro which carries much fewer items and I do not have the choice of an online delivery from the larger store.
Without home delivery I can only take the loaded shopping trolley as far as the mall entrance. Then I have to unload it and carry it all in several trips to the nearest taxi rank. I have arthritis so this is a real problem for me. At the other end I have to unload it from the taxi and carry it all indoors.
The local shops have a far smaller range and are much more expensive.
I really resent this choice being taken away from me.
According to the Woolworths Annual Report 2023, Woolworths Strategic Priorities are: We are Customer 1st; Delivering compelling customer propositions; we care deeply; we always do the right thing; we want our teams to reflect the diverse communities in which we operate to better understand their needs.
It may seem to be a small change for Woolworths, but I would guess that many other members may feel this as a real impact, making the weekly shop difficult, if not impossible.
The Managing Director of Woolworths is Natalie Davis. I don't have an email address for her but the snail mail address is 1 Woolworths Way, Bella Vista NSW 2153. Please contact her. There is also [email protected] although I don't know what impact that will have. Maybe if you feel strongly about this, contact your local newspaper/ radio station. Tell your friends. Go online. Don't let them take away your choice.

Where did you hear they are stopping online deliveries.

I couldn't see anywhere where it says they are stopping online deliveries, if they did this they would lose alit of business as well as a huge loss in jobs, or do you mean shopping in store then having it home delivered? If so I actually thought both Coles and woolworths stopped this along time ago.
Have you tried shopping online they deliver and are not stopping the deliveries

Reactions: Littleboy8
If you decide to do online shopping, it's usually not the closest store like your smaller, expensive Metro.
It's the larger supermarkets that handle online shopping for customers.
If you select click and collect, then you can choose your designated supermarket to collect from.

Hi, I just wanted to update on this thread. Just to reassure Suzanne Rose, if you have another look at my post, I was talking about instore home deliveries, not online deliveries, so you can relax :). I spoke to a Woollies employee and she explained that they will continue with instore home deliveries. However, they will be replacing their in-house delivery service with an out-sourced service which will use an Uber or courier service. She was unable to give me any idea of cost. I don't know how this will work, how reliable this will be and how expensive as Uber bumps up its prices depending on time of day and demand. I am sorry that I will no longer have Marty delivering my shopping after 20 years of service at Woolworths. It's always pleasant to see a friendly face.
Apropos Penny4's post, I just tried the once doing online shopping for items which are commonly available at the large store at Bondi Junction. After filling out an exhaustive list of items, it informed me that many of those items were not available, which was frustrating. I concluded from that they must be bringing them from the nearest Woolworths which is a Metro. Maybe it was just that day, but it definitely put me off shopping online. But thank you for that info, Penny4.

I've done click and collect before and while I waited, I saw a few Uber drivers waiting to collect orders for delivery. This was Coles, however Woolworths would be the same for collecting orders with Uber.
It's a minimum spend of $50 for free click and collect. So, it would only be a Uber charge.
Woolies have probably told you that at anyway.

Last edited:
Hi, I just wanted to update on this thread. Just to reassure Suzanne Rose, if you have another look at my post, I was talking about instore home deliveries, not online deliveries, so you can relax :). I spoke to a Woollies employee and she explained that they will continue with instore home deliveries. However, they will be replacing their in-house delivery service with an out-sourced service which will use an Uber or courier service. She was unable to give me any idea of cost. I don't know how this will work, how reliable this will be and how expensive as Uber bumps up its prices depending on time of day and demand. I am sorry that I will no longer have Marty delivering my shopping after 20 years of service at Woolworths. It's always pleasant to see a friendly face.
Apropos Penny4's post, I just tried the once doing online shopping for items which are commonly available at the large store at Bondi Junction. After filling out an exhaustive list of items, it informed me that many of those items were not available, which was frustrating. I concluded from that they must be bringing them from the nearest Woolworths which is a Metro. Maybe it was just that day, but it definitely put me off shopping online. But thank you for that info, Penny4.
My woollies have been using Uber for months it’s $15.00 a drop off or you can buy a subscription for about $130.00a year which is what I’ve done. As I shop fortnightly it’s cheaper to buy a subscription. This is in there frankston store in victoria. 😁

Reactions: Penny4
My woollies have been using Uber for months it’s $15.00 a drop off or you can buy a subscription for about $130.00a year which is what I’ve done. As I shop fortnightly it’s cheaper to buy a subscription. This is in there frankston store in victoria. 😁
Oh yeah you have to spend $75.00 or more😁forgot about that.🙀

Those Uber charges seem reasonable.
The drivers can be really dumb though last week they put my groceries on unit 3s front door and I’m unit4. Lucky he was home so he carried them over to my unit and also they get lost even though they have those nav sav thingy to tell them where to go. So I always expect a call even though they’ll be sitting in the driveway.its hilarious but what do you expect when half of them can’t understand English.😈i could write a book about my adventures with the morons.😁

The drivers can be really dumb though last week they put my groceries on unit 3s front door and I’m unit4. Lucky he was home so he carried them over to my unit and also they get lost even though they have those nav sav thingy to tell them where to go. So I always expect a call even though they’ll be sitting in the driveway.its hilarious but what do you expect when half of them can’t understand English.😈
When I've waited for my click and collect order, they show the supermarket staff member their mobile phone with the name for the order/delivery. At least they get that right instead of just winging it.

Reactions: Littleboy8
I know the Bondi Junction coles well, my son inlaw works at the nearby commonwealth bank.
Do you live close to Bond Junction ? Sometimes the store is out of items but the biggest problems were more with covid.

I always shop online at coles and woolworths and very few problems.

When having items delivered by uber , coles prices are exactly the same including specials where as woolworths are much higher and no specials.
It's not Uber who sets the price , it's the stores and Coles is the only store who charges the same

If I need something I forgot or need in a hurry I order through uber eg today I ordered $45 worth of items and paid $4 .40 service fee. I would have paid more than that in petrol and also my time

I've done click and collect before and while I waited, I saw a few Uber drivers waiting to collect orders for delivery. This was Coles, however Woolworths would be the same for collecting orders with Uber.
It's a minimum spend of $50 for free click and collect. So, it would only be a Uber charge.
Woolies have probably told you that at anyway.
With coles it's actually the uber driver who collects and pays for coles orders so you pay whatever the current prices are. Where as woolworths pack and charge you and uber picks up.
I pay $9 amonth for uber unlimited free deliveries on both groceries and takeaway . You do pay a service fee each time Eg today I ubered groceries, bread ect spent $45 paid $4. 40 service fee , the mist I've paid is $6.
To me I would use more in petrol and it is delivered to me within 30 to 40 minutes. I'm also saving on my time

With coles it's actually the uber driver who collects and pays for coles orders so you pay whatever the current prices are. Where as woolworths pack and charge you and uber picks up.
I pay $9 amonth for uber unlimited free deliveries on both groceries and takeaway . You do pay a service fee each time Eg today I ubered groceries, bread ect spent $45 paid $4. 40 service fee , the mist I've paid is $6.
To me I would use more in petrol and it is delivered to me within 30 to 40 minutes. I'm also saving on my time
Bargain! (y)

Have you looked at coles. Minimum spend $40 subscription is $9 amonth . Although NSW maybe different
No my sister has organised it and I use her rewards or something. I don’t know or care at least all I have to care about is my stomach and puddy tats tummy.😹😹

Reactions: Suzanne rose