Woolworths preserves landmark moment as it stores its 'very last plastic bag' in archives

Whether you're choosing to forgo single-use coffee cups or swapping out plastic straws and cling wrap for reusable options, it's clear that Australians all across the country are driven to protect our planet.

And it's not just individuals taking action; major companies, retailers, and supermarkets are also rising to the challenge. One notable example is Woolworths.

Since 2022, Woolworths has been phasing out all single-use plastic shopping bags in their stores, in line with state government bans on single-use plastics across Australia.

And in a landmark moment, Woolworths has recently made a significant milestone in their sustainability efforts. They have proudly preserved their very last single-use plastic shopping bag in their Heritage Centre, marking the end of an era.

Screen Shot 2023-06-13 at 12.07.24 PM.png
Woolworths have made 'soft plastic shopping bag history' by archiving their 'last plastic bag' to its Heritage Centre. Credit: Woolworths Group.

This bold move by Woolworths is expected to eliminate approximately 9,000 tonnes of plastic waste each year as they bid farewell to their 15-cent plastic bags.

Located at the Norwest Support Office in New South Wales, the Heritage Centre houses national archives from nearly 100 years of Woolworths in Australia. From the first-ever cash register in a Woolies store to the last 15-cent plastic bag, this centre tells the story of the brand's evolution over the decades.

Last Friday, Stephen Ward, the manager of the Heritage Centre, submitted the last-ever plastic bag to the archives, saying, 'This is my 50th year working for Woolworths. When I retired five years ago, I decided to take over managing the Heritage Centre. It's a full circle moment submitting the last ever 15-cent Woolworths plastic bag from our stores, alongside the first paper checkout bags from 1957.'

While the plastic bags have been removed from stores across Australia, it's worth noting that they're still being used for the supermarket's online orders. But don't worry; Woolies is working to phase out plastic bags from their online shopping service by the end of this year.

Key Takeaways

• Woolworths has made 'soft plastic shopping bag history' by archiving their 'last plastic bag' in their Heritage Centre.
  • The supermarket giant phased out all plastic shopping bags in 2022, resulting in an estimated reduction of 9,000 tonnes of plastic annually.
  • The Heritage Centre is home to national archives from nearly 100 years of Woolworths in Australia, including the first-ever Woolies cash register.
  • Plastic shopping bags are still used for online orders but are planned to be phased out by the end of the year.

By archiving this last plastic bag, Woolworths has not only marked a significant milestone in their environmental efforts, but they've also set an example for other businesses to follow.

In the meantime, it's up to us all to make conscious efforts in our daily lives to limit our plastic usage.

So, next time you shop at Woolworths or any other supermarket, be sure to carry your reusable bags and remember the saying: reduce, reuse, and recycle. Together, we can make a difference for the environment and the generations that come after us.

Sponsored
If they want to be completely helping our environment then they should also stop using paper bags, how many trees will be cut down to supply the abundance of bags which will be needed.

They should get everyone into using the canvas bags. These are not just better on the environment but also better on your pocket.

When I was very young I remember my grandmother using String bags because she hated the paper bags which had no handles and even double bagging them the frozen items broke through.
images.jpeg-19.jpg

I am madly trying to make crocheted market bags for my friends at the moment. Suzanne Rose, your grandmother's look tremendous. I am also sewing material market bags with vinyl mesh which can be washed as well.

Notice it was mentioned "single use plastic bags"? I have several plastic bags and use them over and over again until they eventually get a hole or split before throwing them out. These are not single use. They are multi use.

I have had long ago had canvas type bags in back of car plus at home I go out shopping have one with me and a spare it’s not hard just make it a habit or is it what would people think someone might see me that may also have recycle bags with them Easy said. Yes but making a conscious decision and reminder in a busy life will help even though we have enough to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ezzy and Observer
ok then why cant we make bamboo or hemp bags like they make all the knifes and forks etc. isn't that a lot better than the plastic that way the supermarkets will still make $ on selling the bags to the lazy people that dont bring or just throw way there bags and dont care about paying for new bags

Are they going to put it up on Ebay or Gumtree in times to come? Just think, if an Ooshie -- a useless bit of plastic with a totally unrealistic price put on it by some stoobidheads out there -- can go for thousands of dollars, imagine how much they could garner for something people can use?

I am madly trying to make crocheted market bags for my friends at the moment. Suzanne Rose, your grandmother's look tremendous. I am also sewing material market bags with vinyl mesh which can be washed as well.
As a teen at high school, l once made a macrame shopping bag with wooden handles for my mother. She used it for lots of years.

Reactions: Ezzy, DLHM and Liz
If they want to be completely helping our environment then they should also stop using paper bags, how many trees will be cut down to supply the abundance of bags which will be needed.

They should get everyone into using the canvas bags. These are not just better on the environment but also better on your pocket.

When I was very young I remember my grandmother using String bags because she hated the paper bags which had no handles and even double bagging them the frozen items broke through.
View attachment 22593
You can still buy string bags, I have a few.

Where are you located and are they for sale?

Reactions: Ezzy
I think I have a cupboard full of Woollies plastic bags which will probably last me long enough until I visit my heavenly shopping center (or maybe the other hot one). I usually have my shopping delivered because of location and health reasons and have noticed that the deliveries over the last few weeks have all been in paper carrier bags and with no issues. The stories of bags breaking up etc are probably just that, stories. We are lucky in Wollongong, we have 2 Woolies stores and both are wonderful.

Reactions: Ezzy
You d
You do know that vinyl just like plastic comes from gas and oil refining right?

Notice it was mentioned "single use plastic bags"? I have several plastic bags and use them over and over again until they eventually get a hole or split before throwing them out. These are not single use. They are multi use.
Me too

Whether you're choosing to forgo single-use coffee cups or swapping out plastic straws and cling wrap for reusable options, it's clear that Australians all across the country are driven to protect our planet.

And it's not just individuals taking action; major companies, retailers, and supermarkets are also rising to the challenge. One notable example is Woolworths.

Since 2022, Woolworths has been phasing out all single-use plastic shopping bags in their stores, in line with state government bans on single-use plastics across Australia.

And in a landmark moment, Woolworths has recently made a significant milestone in their sustainability efforts. They have proudly preserved their very last single-use plastic shopping bag in their Heritage Centre, marking the end of an era.

View attachment 22178
Woolworths have made 'soft plastic shopping bag history' by archiving their 'last plastic bag' to its Heritage Centre. Credit: Woolworths Group.

This bold move by Woolworths is expected to eliminate approximately 9,000 tonnes of plastic waste each year as they bid farewell to their 15-cent plastic bags.

Located at the Norwest Support Office in New South Wales, the Heritage Centre houses national archives from nearly 100 years of Woolworths in Australia. From the first-ever cash register in a Woolies store to the last 15-cent plastic bag, this centre tells the story of the brand's evolution over the decades.

Last Friday, Stephen Ward, the manager of the Heritage Centre, submitted the last-ever plastic bag to the archives, saying, 'This is my 50th year working for Woolworths. When I retired five years ago, I decided to take over managing the Heritage Centre. It's a full circle moment submitting the last ever 15-cent Woolworths plastic bag from our stores, alongside the first paper checkout bags from 1957.'

While the plastic bags have been removed from stores across Australia, it's worth noting that they're still being used for the supermarket's online orders. But don't worry; Woolies is working to phase out plastic bags from their online shopping service by the end of this year.

Key Takeaways

• Woolworths has made 'soft plastic shopping bag history' by archiving their 'last plastic bag' in their Heritage Centre.
  • The supermarket giant phased out all plastic shopping bags in 2022, resulting in an estimated reduction of 9,000 tonnes of plastic annually.
  • The Heritage Centre is home to national archives from nearly 100 years of Woolworths in Australia, including the first-ever Woolies cash register.
  • Plastic shopping bags are still used for online orders but are planned to be phased out by the end of the year.

By archiving this last plastic bag, Woolworths has not only marked a significant milestone in their environmental efforts, but they've also set an example for other businesses to follow.

In the meantime, it's up to us all to make conscious efforts in our daily lives to limit our plastic usage.

So, next time you shop at Woolworths or any other supermarket, be sure to carry your reusable bags and remember the saying: reduce, reuse, and recycle. Together, we can make a difference for the environment and the generations that come after us.
I find it rather hypocritical to be promoting no plastic shopping bags at supermarkets. When literally every item on sale within literally every store has plastic on the items for sale.

Even the hairdressers have plastic curlers, plastic brush handles, plastic protective black covers to wear over your clothes.. plastic aprons, shelving for curlers etc c etc etc. plastic wrappers holding ex
amount of toilet rolls. Plastic containers at the delie area.... plastic lids on numerous sauces.
The list goes on. The stores and many customers are sincere in their attempt to reduce "carbon footprints" and that tune has been a huge money making machine and one can still buy plastic bags from supermarkets.

Reactions: Observer