Woolworths introduces MAJOR CHANGE to reusable shopping bags - Here’s what you need to know

In recent years, there has been a growing trend towards reducing single-use plastics in everyday life. One simple yet impactful way to make a difference is by using reusable bags when grocery shopping.

Not only do reusable bags help to reduce the amount of plastic waste produced, but they also offer a number of convenient benefits to shoppers.

From being sturdier and more spacious than flimsy plastic bags to being easily washable and able to fold up for storage, reusable bags are a practical and eco-friendly choice for any shopper.

Many retailers in Australia have been leading the way in promoting the use of reusable bags.

They have implemented a range of initiatives to encourage customers to switch to reusable bags, such as offering discounts for bringing your bag and selling eco-friendly bags made from recycled materials.

Now, Woolworths has announced that a major change in its reusable shopping bags is coming!

The supermarket giant recently shared that they will be rolling out a brand new reusable bag policy, which includes a special collaboration with the talented Warumungu, Wombaya woman Jessica Johnson, the founder of First Nations-owned and run creative agency Nungala Creative.

Johnson has designed absolutely stunning Native Australian-inspired designs for the stores’ reusable Art Bags, which are set to hit shelves in stores all across Australia.

The amazing new bags come in three designs, titled ‘Fresh as’, ‘Journey Lines’ and ‘Landtracks,’ and are made from at least 70 per cent recycled materials.

What’s more, they’re also larger than the existing 99-cent green Woolworths bags, making it ideal for shoppers to bag their groceries when checking out.

741889e5d8d6479070ca2aceed13c839f7a3dc55.png

The new reusable bags are available for $2 in Woolies stores nationwide. Credit: Woolworths.

The artist said she was 'thrilled' to be given an opportunity to design the bags, saying she loves food and appreciates each item she gets her hands on.

She remarked: ‘Food really is my happy place! You know life is good when you’re eating well.’

‘Through some recent struggles with health issues, I have a better understanding of my body’s relationship with food.’

‘Eating well is so necessary for the mind, body and spirit. It’s the catalyst in coming together for a mob in my life.’

Johnson also commented about how the artwork was an ‘expression of that joy of eating’.

‘We call it the food dance!’ she continued.

‘It’s like an uncontrollable happiness that turns into a little groove in anticipation of chowing down.’

‘Each bag has its own flavour but is essentially a celebration of food in its own unique way.’

5881d00987ff7fd92f0f1b3a20d6892dd3b6f9c4.jpg

The bags feature artwork made by Jessica Johnson. Credit: Woolworths.

And that’s not all! To celebrate the launch of the Art Bags, Woolworths have revealed an extra special collaboration with the Yothu Yindi Foundation, one of Australia’s leading not-for-profit organisations.

Woolworths has made an initial donation of $100,000 to support Yolngu First Nations students' initiative in Northeast Arnhem Land.

This funding will contribute towards the establishment of the Garma Institute, an exceptional educational centre that will provide primary, secondary, tertiary, and vocational education.

CEO of the Yothu Yindi Foundation, Denise Bowden, said the Garma Institute would be a 'game-changer' for the region, and is sure to make a major difference in the lives of Yolngu and other Indigenous peoples.

She said: ‘This is a new model in education, one that properly integrates Yolngu knowledge and learning into the curriculum, and we know that it works.’

‘The Dhupuma Barker junior school in Gunyangara, which will soon celebrate its second birthday, is already achieving outstanding attendance rates, and a team of students from the school recently qualified for the international school robotics championships in the US.’

‘We’re now finalising the secondary and tertiary components of the project to complete the learning life-cycle and improve educational and employment outcomes for Yolngu of all ages.’

Natalie Davis, Managing Director of Woolworths, expressed her delight at showcasing the talents of Australian artists such as Jessica Johnson while promoting a worthy Australian cause with the Yothu Yindi Foundation.

‘We know that the vast majority of our customers already bring their reusable bags to shop, which is the very best outcome for the environment, and the new range gives customers even more reusable options to choose from when they shop,’ Ms Davis remarked.

‘As we worked to bring the new Art Bag range to life, we remained focused on creating a collection of reusable bags that could give back to the community.’

‘In working with the Yothu Yindi Foundation, we’re proud to support their work in creating an education hub for Yolngu students in Northeast Arnhem land.’

Key Takeaways
  • Woolworths has announced big changes to its reusable bags, collaborating with First Nations owned and run creative agency Nungala Creative.
  • CEO of the Yothu Yindi Foundation Denise Bowden said the Garma Institute would be a 'game-changer' for the region.
  • Woolworths have given an initial donation of $100,000 to the foundation, which will go towards creating the Garma Institute.
  • The new Art Bags are larger than the current 99-cent green Woolies bags and are now available in stores nationwide.

There you have it, folks! This is an incredible initiative, and we’re so happy to see Woolworths improving the world.

Are you excited about the new Woolworths reusable bags? Do you like the designs? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
In recent years, there has been a growing trend towards reducing single-use plastics in everyday life. One simple yet impactful way to make a difference is by using reusable bags when grocery shopping.

Not only do reusable bags help to reduce the amount of plastic waste produced, but they also offer a number of convenient benefits to shoppers.

From being sturdier and more spacious than flimsy plastic bags to being easily washable and able to fold up for storage, reusable bags are a practical and eco-friendly choice for any shopper.

Many retailers in Australia have been leading the way in promoting the use of reusable bags.

They have implemented a range of initiatives to encourage customers to switch to reusable bags, such as offering discounts for bringing your bag and selling eco-friendly bags made from recycled materials.

Now, Woolworths has announced that a major change in its reusable shopping bags is coming!

The supermarket giant recently shared that they will be rolling out a brand new reusable bag policy, which includes a special collaboration with the talented Warumungu, Wombaya woman Jessica Johnson, the founder of First Nations-owned and run creative agency Nungala Creative.

Johnson has designed absolutely stunning Native Australian-inspired designs for the stores’ reusable Art Bags, which are set to hit shelves in stores all across Australia.

The amazing new bags come in three designs, titled ‘Fresh as’, ‘Journey Lines’ and ‘Landtracks,’ and are made from at least 70 per cent recycled materials.

What’s more, they’re also larger than the existing 99-cent green Woolworths bags, making it ideal for shoppers to bag their groceries when checking out.

The new reusable bags are available for $2 in Woolies stores nationwide. Credit: Woolworths.

The artist said she was 'thrilled' to be given an opportunity to design the bags, saying she loves food and appreciates each item she gets her hands on.

She remarked: ‘Food really is my happy place! You know life is good when you’re eating well.’

‘Through some recent struggles with health issues, I have a better understanding of my body’s relationship with food.’

‘Eating well is so necessary for the mind, body and spirit. It’s the catalyst in coming together for a mob in my life.’

Johnson also commented about how the artwork was an ‘expression of that joy of eating’.

‘It’s like an uncontrollable happiness that turns into a little groove in anticipation of chowing down.’

‘Each bag has its own flavour but is essentially a celebration of food in its own unique way.’

And that’s not all! To celebrate the launch of the Art Bags, Woolworths have revealed an extra special collaboration with the Yothu Yindi Foundation, one of Australia’s leading not-for-profit organisations.

Woolworths has made an initial donation of $100,000 to support Yolngu First Nations students' initiative in Northeast Arnhem Land.

This funding will contribute towards the establishment of the Garma Institute, an exceptional educational centre that will provide primary, secondary, tertiary, and vocational education.

CEO of the Yothu Yindi Foundation, Denise Bowden, said the Garma Institute would be a 'game-changer' for the region, and is sure to make a major difference in the lives of Yolngu and other Indigenous peoples.

She said: ‘This is a new model in education, one that properly integrates Yolngu knowledge and learning into the curriculum, and we know that it works.’

‘The Dhupuma Barker junior school in Gunyangara, which will soon celebrate its second birthday, is already achieving outstanding attendance rates, and a team of students from the school recently qualified for the international school robotics championships in the US.’

‘We’re now finalising the secondary and tertiary components of the project to complete the learning life-cycle and improve educational and employment outcomes for Yolngu of all ages.’

Natalie Davis, Managing Director of Woolworths, expressed her delight at showcasing the talents of Australian artists such as Jessica Johnson while promoting a worthy Australian cause with the Yothu Yindi Foundation.

‘We know that the vast majority of our customers already bring their reusable bags to shop, which is the very best outcome for the environment, and the new range gives customers even more reusable options to choose from when they shop,’ Ms Davis remarked.

‘As we worked to bring the new Art Bag range to life, we remained focused on creating a collection of reusable bags that could give back to the community.’

‘In working with the Yothu Yindi Foundation, we’re proud to support their work in creating an education hub for Yolngu students in Northeast Arnhem land.’

Key Takeaways

• Woolworths has announced big changes to its reusable bags, collaborating with First Nations owned and run creative agency Nungala Creative.
  • CEO of the Yothu Yindi Foundation Denise Bowden said the Garma Institute would be a 'game-changer' for the region.
  • Woolworths have given an initial donation of $100,000 to the foundation, which will go towards creating the Garma Institute.
  • The new Art Bags are larger than the current 99-cent green Woolies bags and are now available in stores nationwide.

There you have it, folks! This is an incredible initiative, and we’re so happy to see Woolworths improving the world.

Are you excited about the new Woolworths reusable bags? Do you like the designs? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!
yep There it is $2 each

When they say that Woolies gave the Yothu Yindi foundation $100,000 what they really mean is we gave the money. It will take them all of a minute or two to recoup that money from sales. Whilst I agree it's a good thing to do let's not get carried away, it's a drop in the ocean to Woolies, fully tax deductible and in the great scheme of things not an awfully big amount. ;)

Reactions: Buff
What a load of BS, the whole bag saga by the supermarket giants coupled with the greens is ludicrous. Discard paper bags, introduce single use plastics, oops make them biodegradable, oops, ban them go to reusable plastic.. use for what, we don't recycle them sorry, we stockpile them! In the meantime I have a stack of cloth bags etc I can't use as I can no longer shop personally. .. where does it all end.. worse off environmentally than when we started over 20 years ago.

What a load of BS, the whole bag saga by the supermarket giants coupled with the greens is ludicrous. Discard paper bags, introduce single use plastics, oops make them biodegradable, oops, ban them go to reusable plastic.. use for what, we don't recycle them sorry, we stockpile them! In the meantime I have a stack of cloth bags etc I can't use as I can no longer shop personally. .. where does it all end.. worse off environmentally than when we started over 20 years ago.
For once I actually agree with Vinylted. The bags look great and the designs are beautiful but as a pensioner, I am unable to afford the $2.00 per bag. I have my groceries delivered because I am pretty much housebound with my dog. My dog produces some little piles of joy on my lawn (he is not a small dog) and my rubbish goes into the plastic bags I get from my Wollies deliveries. If these plastic recyclable bags are dispensed with what will I do with my rubbish and doggy surprises? I too have a cupboard full of Woolies chiller bags and cloth carry bags. On the odd occasion I find myself in town I like to drop into Woolies and pick up a couple of things but I never have a suitable bag with me so I have to buy one. I must say though that even if the $100,000.00 is tax deductible etc, it will go a long way for aboriginal communities to deal with some of their social issues so good-onya Woolies for that.

Key Takeaways

When they say that Woolies gave the Yothu Yindi foundation $100,000 what they really mean is we gave the money. It will take them all of a minute or two to recoup that money from sales. Whilst I agree it's a good thing to do let's not get carried away, it's a drop in the ocean to Woolies, fully tax deductible and in the great scheme of things not an awfully big amount. ;)
This is one way big corporations go to save by paying so much tax they give huge amounts to sometimes worthy causes knowing that the government will pay them back for their donation & not chase them for extra taxes.

Reactions: Ricci