Woolworths halts popular payment method due to security breach

In an age where convenience often goes hand-in-hand with technology, it's no surprise that many of us have embraced the ease of digital wallets and payment apps.

However, this shift towards digital transactions also comes with risks.

Woolworths has been compelled to suspend one of its popular payment features after a security breach left customers vulnerable to scammers.

Everyday Pay, a Woolworths Everyday Rewards app feature, allowed shoppers to save their payment details and use a QR code at checkout for a quick and seamless transaction.

This method facilitated payment and integrated the scanning of the Everyday Rewards card, streamlining the entire checkout process.

The convenience of this system was further enhanced by the ability to buy and store gift cards within the app, which could be used for in-store and online purchases.

everyday pay shut down.jpg
A Woolworths Everyday Rewards app feature has been temporarily shut down following a security breach that left customers vulnerable to scammers. Image Source: X / @Drano2go

However, the digital landscape is full of sophisticated cyber threats, and Woolworths has confirmed that several customers fell victim to an external phishing scam.

The affected Everyday Pay users inadvertently handed over sensitive details to scammers, who gained access to their accounts.

Upon recognising the issue, Woolworths decided to ‘turn off’ the Everyday Pay QR payment option for all users to prevent further incidents.

In a statement, a company spokesperson said, ‘Unfortunately, we have identified a small number of Everyday Pay users who have been personally targeted by a sophisticated external phishing scam, which has led to them providing their details to scammers.’

‘We are supporting those who were affected…We want to reassure our members that our Everyday Pay systems and data remain secure and have not been compromised.’

'While it was temporarily unavailable last week, the Everyday Pay wallet continues to be available for gift cards—which can be purchased, stored, and used for in-store and online purchases,’ they added.

The temporary unavailability of the Everyday Pay feature has caused frustration among users who took to social media to voice their concerns.

‘What’s happening with your Everyday Pay app?’ one social media user asked.

Another added, ‘Days and days without being able to use the QR reader at the till.’

The supermarket giant apologised for the inconvenience and revealed it was now working on updating its systems.

‘We are now taking this opportunity to review and simplify our in-store Everyday Pay checkout experience, and as a result, QR payments may remain unavailable while we work through this process,’ a spokesperson said.

It’s understood that regular card transactions and Everyday Rewards loyalty card scans are not impacted.

Unfortunately, stories of Aussies falling victim to phishing scams are all too common, with it being the most reported scam in Australia.

In a previous article, phishing scams were closely examined to determine their workings and how individuals can safeguard themselves from such fraudulent schemes. You can read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways
  • Woolworths shut down the Everyday Pay feature within its Everyday Rewards app due to a sophisticated external phishing scam affecting several customers.
  • The payment system allowed customers to save payment methods and pay at the checkout via QR code but was ‘turned off’ after scammers obtained personal details from some users.
  • The supermarket reassured customers that their systems and data remain secure and that the Everyday Pay wallet's gift cards are still available.
  • Woolworths is supporting affected individuals and has apologised for the inconvenience, stating they are working on enhancing and simplifying the in-store Everyday Pay checkout experience.
Have you been affected by the suspension of Woolworths' Everyday Pay, or have you encountered similar security issues with other digital payment methods? Share your stories and experiences in the comments below!

Sponsored
I wondered what happened yesterday when I tried using the QR code as usual and got that message. Now I know👍

Just had to use my digital rewards card and digital debit card separately that's already on my phone. No problem.
Still quicker and easier than messing about with cash.🙄

Reactions: Macarj
Another reason why we should push back on going to these style of digital transactions. It is just not worth being scammed, no protection and no comeback. And did I mention fees - Cash is King..... or if you are going to do it, establish a special bank account and email account for on-line transaction is my advice.... then feed that bank account with the funds you need in it......

Now if the banks shut down internet banking, and also plastic cards, how much money would they lose? They would have to train and employ more staff and provide service, for a start. Can't have our banks not making billions of dollars profit every quarter year!

Reactions: Robbo3006
So because of a few people handing over information we all get shut down

Bring back the slate, I reckon! Mention the word "slate" to some of the younger people around, and watch the funny looks on their faces.

Reactions: Sockjoan
I find this service handy as I do not have to find my card for scanning plus get money or card to pay. I mainly use it for my gift cards as I seem to forget to use them. A warning would had been handy and I could not use the gift card bit both times I have tried while the system is done. Yes cash is better but those coins add weight I do not need.

go for cash
I agree but I found another problem.... lost my rewards card and tried to get replacement. No hope. They want my photo and QR code which is hopeless for me because I don't have a mobile phone which is useless to people who are as deaf as me. They are also useless to people like my friend who lives in Qld's biggest black spot and places she goes rarely has any reception.

Only a fool would opt in for a payment like this... especially with a mob like Coles or Woollies.... it's asking for trouble....

Reactions: Robbo3006
Another reason why we should push back on going to these style of digital transactions. It is just not worth being scammed, no protection and no comeback. And did I mention fees - Cash is King..... or if you are going to do it, establish a special bank account and email account for on-line transaction is my advice.... then feed that bank account with the funds you need in it......
I totally agree. I pay everything through my computer bank a/c so it's easy to pay rent, electricity and phone. I have a debit card that can't get into trouble.No scammers

Now if the banks shut down internet banking, and also plastic cards, how much money would they lose? They would have to train and employ more staff and provide service, for a start. Can't have our banks not making billions of dollars profit every quarter year!
if they take it all out they'd have to teach staff how to add up in case of a blackout