Woolworths draws flak for allegedly charging more for ripe avocados

In a nation where culinary preferences are as diverse as its landscapes, one thing unites Aussies from coast to coast: unwavering love for avocados!

With avocado toast becoming a breakfast staple and avo-smash burgers gracing the menus of trendy cafes, avocados have firmly established themselves as an iconic ingredient in local cuisines.

Whether it's the creamy texture, health benefits, or versatility in dishes, it's no wonder the fruit has carved out a special place in the hearts (and stomachs) of Aussies.

However, for those who buy their avocados at Woolworths, a heated debate has been stirred up recently due to the supermarket's 'controversial' pricing.

Screenshot 2023-09-12 at 3.02.43 PM.png
Woolworths was accused of charging more for ripe avocados. Credit: Woolworths.

It appeared that the avocados at Woolies had rather confusing cost differences, with shoppers noticing that the price of 'ready to eat' avocados was higher than those classified as 'ripe in two to four days'.

The confusion spread like wildfire on social media after a video of one customer's experience was posted. In it, a confused mum-of-five said that the same type of Hass avocado was sold at 30 cents more, depending on its ripeness.

'What do you mean, it's 30 cents more for the same type of avocado that ripens sooner? What?! What!?' she said.

'Well, this is a bit of a joke.'

The video caught the attention of other Woolies customers, with one responding and making a video to show that their local store was also charging more for ripe avocados than less ripe ones.

'So apparently, with avocados now, if you want a hard one, it's $1.30. But if you want the ones you can eat now, it's $1.50,' they said.

'Are you cheeky b*****s charging more for something you can eat now rather than a couple of days? If not, does that mean it could apply to green bananas? I don't know.'

After the issue was raised and blew up online, a Woolworths spokesman was quick to jump on it and provide an explanation. According to them, an 'online and ticketing error' was to blame, and customers should not be charged for the higher prices.

'Due to a ticketing error, some of our stores display two different prices for our Eat Now, Eat Later avocados,' the spokesperson said.

'Customers can rest assured the correct price will be charged at the checkout. We're working with our teams to resolve this and apologise for any inconvenience.'

As of writing, avocado prices at Woolworths are $1.30 each in NSW and VIC, $1.20 each in QLD, SA, NT, and TAS, and $1.00 each in WA.

Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths customer claimed that the supermarket is charging more for ripe avocados.
  • She posted a video showing that ready-to-eat avocados are 30 cents more expensive than less ripe varieties.
  • Another Woolworths shopper spotted the controversial avocado pricing at their local store.
  • A Woolworths spokesperson said the pricing was due to a 'ticketing error' and is not a permanent pricing strategy.

These incidents highlight the need to stay vigilant when shopping online or in-store. If the price of an item seems unusually high, double-check with your local store or the supermarket's customer service team before making a purchase.

We'd also like to encourage you to keep a record of your receipts as you shop. If there are any discrepancies later on down the line, the information on the receipt can help prove any unnecessary charges.

We hope your avocado purchases go more smoothly from here on out, members! What are your thoughts? Have you encountered similar 'controversial' pricing in your local stores? Have you noticed it in other fresh produce items as well? Let us know in the comments!

Sponsored
A ticketing error. I say BS Woolworths.
How hard is it to take the ticket off the shelf ?
Woolworth; the price-gouge people.

If that concern about avocados is real, my point has been proved beyond reasonable doubt. Not only do Woolworth discriminate between "members"and non-members when it comes to prices but they now want to charge different prices according to the ripeness of fruit........

In a nation where culinary preferences are as diverse as its landscapes, one thing unites Aussies from coast to coast: unwavering love for avocados!

With avocado toast becoming a breakfast staple and avo-smash burgers gracing the menus of trendy cafes, avocados have firmly established themselves as an iconic ingredient in local cuisines.

Whether it's the creamy texture, health benefits, or versatility in dishes, it's no wonder the fruit has carved out a special place in the hearts (and stomachs) of Aussies.

However, for those who buy their avocados at Woolworths, a heated debate has been stirred up recently due to the supermarket's 'controversial' pricing.

View attachment 29725

It appeared that the avocados at Woolies had rather confusing cost differences, with shoppers noticing that the price of 'ready to eat' avocados was higher than those classified as 'ripe in two to four days'.

The confusion spread like wildfire on social media after a video of one customer's experience was posted. In it, a confused mum-of-five said that the same type of Hass avocado was sold at 30 cents more, depending on its ripeness.

'What do you mean, it's 30 cents more for the same type of avocado that ripens sooner? What?! What!?' she said.

The video caught the attention of other Woolies customers, with one responding and making a video to show that their local store was also charging more for ripe avocados than less ripe ones.

'So apparently, with avocados now, if you want a hard one, it's $1.30. But if you want the ones you can eat now, it's $1.50,' they said.

'Are you cheeky b*****s charging more for something you can eat now rather than a couple of days? If not, does that mean it could apply to green bananas? I don't know.'

After the issue was raised and blew up online, a Woolworths spokesman was quick to jump on it and provide an explanation. According to them, an 'online and ticketing error' was to blame, and customers should not be charged for the higher prices.

'Due to a ticketing error, some of our stores display two different prices for our Eat Now, Eat Later avocados,' the spokesperson said.

'Customers can rest assured the correct price will be charged at the checkout. We're working with our teams to resolve this and apologise for any inconvenience.'

As of writing, avocado prices at Woolworths are $1.30 each in NSW and VIC, $1.20 each in QLD, SA, NT, and TAS, and $1.00 each in WA.

Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths customer claimed that the supermarket is charging more for ripe avocados.
  • She posted a video showing that ready-to-eat avocados are 30 cents more expensive than less ripe varieties.
  • Another Woolworths shopper spotted the controversial avocado pricing at their local store.
  • A Woolworths spokesperson said the pricing was due to a 'ticketing error' and is not a permanent pricing strategy.

These incidents highlight the need to stay vigilant when shopping online or in-store. If the price of an item seems unusually high, double-check with your local store or the supermarket's customer service team before making a purchase.

We'd also like to encourage you to keep a record of your receipts as you shop. If there are any discrepancies later on down the line, the information on the receipt can help prove any unnecessary charges.

We hope your avocado purchases go more smoothly from here on out, members! What are your thoughts? Have you encountered similar 'controversial' pricing in your local stores? Have you noticed it in other fresh produce items as well? Let us know in the comments!

Well, it isn't but should be a joke, paying more for something with less shelf life is crazy, what next, extra for milk closer to it's use by date?

"As of writing, avocado prices at Woolworths are $1.30 each in NSW and VIC, $1.20 each in QLD, SA, NT, and TAS, and $1.00 each in WA."

How strange? Considering the majority of avocados are grown in Queensland.

Well, it isn't but should be a joke, paying more for something with less shelf life is crazy, what next, extra for milk closer to it's use by date?
Woolies half price specials this week!

Quillton Toilet Rolls - slightly used - just $8.99 for a pack of 12.

Be quick - stocks are limited!

This is one thing that I never buy for myself is avocado I have a texture thing that doesn't let me eat slimy food like avos & pasta plus lots of other foods. I know that if I tried a small amount I would get used to it. But why bother when I have lived so long without trying these foods that make me squirm? I am happy eating only what I like, so why change the habits of a lifetime?

This is one thing that I never buy for myself is avocado I have a texture thing that doesn't let me eat slimy food like avos & pasta plus lots of other foods. I know that if I tried a small amount I would get used to it. But why bother when I have lived so long without trying these foods that make me squirm? I am happy eating only what I like, so why change the habits of a lifetime?
Seriously, that's a shame, except for the avocados. I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't eat pasta. I have it in some shape or form at least four times a week. It goes well as a bed for chicken, mushroom and seafood dishes as I've turned off rice somewhat. It's a bit bland.

Reactions: Gsr
I never complain about getting older as I have already outlived anyone else in my family. I put it down to my love of vinegar which I have been addicted to for 85 years. Not Apple cider vinegar but good old white vinegar. That & the wooden mantra over my bed that says I want to live forever. So far so good!

I never complain about getting older as I have already outlived anyone else in my family. I put it down to my love of vinegar which I have been addicted to for 85 years. Not Apple cider vinegar but good old white vinegar. That & the wooden mantra over my bed that says I want to live forever. So far so good!
I love this comment. I’m the same as you, I have now outlived a lot of my relatives, including my mum, dad and older sister so I don’t complain about getting older. I have just turned 70 so have a long way to go to get to your age. My wish is to live at least another 10 years to see my youngest grandchild turn 18.

I love avocado on toast, with chicken and cheese on toasted sandwich or just cut up with any meal. Unfortunately I can’t afford to buy them unless they are on special.

No one asked her to have 5 kids if she's going to moan about an extra 30c!! She can pay for it out of her Family Tax Benefit money!! The supermarkets are not a charity!!t:rolleyes:

So Woolies, the avocados that are "more ripe" must be the older ones, and they are dearer?

So why is it usually the older your "fresh food" gets (such as apples), the cheaper it gets as it needs to be cleared after 6 months in storage?

View attachment 29725

Key Takeaways

What really annoyed me last week when I wanted a ready to eat at about $1.30ish each but all were rock hard so resorted to buying an organic one for $4 only to find it was brown through most of and could only use about half!!

View attachment 29725

Key Takeaways

South 🇿🇦 African owed business ripping of the Australian customer 🎟 ticketing error 🐖arse total lies 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

View attachment 29725

Key Takeaways

Has

View attachment 29725

Key Takeaways

Have other people noticed that the supermarkets also charge more for over ripe bananas than green ones?
I can't believe that anyone would buy overripe bananas unless you're making a banana cake of course.
IGA recently had a whole stack of bananas virtually going bad and were charging $5.50/kg !! Unbelievable!
And I suppose they then throw them out when not sold. Why can't they just give them away rather than throw them in rubbish bin ??
I buy bananas nearly green so they keep longer.