Woolworths customer exposes ‘dodgy’ checkout flaw: ‘How much extra are we paying?’

With prices on the rise and every dollar counting, it's no wonder that shoppers are scrutinising their grocery receipts more than ever.

But what happens when the trust we place in our local supermarket's checkout system is called into question?

This was the unfortunate reality for one Woolworths customer who encountered a 'dodgy' checkout mishap that left her questioning the accuracy of supermarket scales.

After a routine shopping trip, the woman discovered that the weight and price of a single garlic bulb had been grossly overestimated at the checkout.

The scales at Woolworths had registered the garlic at 0.127 kilograms, ringing up a charge of $3.68, based on a $29/kilogram pricing.

However, upon weighing the garlic at home on her kitchen scale, she found it nearly half that weight at just 0.068 kilograms.

Screenshot 2024-03-25 at 8.17.24 AM.png
A Woolworths customer called out the supermarket for overcharging her for a single garlic bulb. Credit: Facebook

The shopper's dismay was shared on social media, complete with a photo of the garlic on her scale, sparking a conversation among fellow customers who had experienced similar discrepancies.

‘[It's] not our scales, [the] chicken we bought weighed correctly, it is the checkout scales,’ she said.

'With groceries so expensive, how much extra are we paying at the checkout with dodgy scales or customer service personnel not weighing correctly?'

Other shoppers admitted they also noticed a difference in weight on some items.

‘I had the same thing happen with a watermelon,’ one said.

‘Yeah, my groceries are usually coming up different, too,’ another revealed.

Woolworths has quickly reassured customers that they take the accuracy of their scales seriously.

The supermarket giant conducts weekly in-depth checks across all manned and automated checkout scales, with daily testing to ensure they function correctly.

If a scale is found to be inaccurate, it is immediately taken away and recalibrated before being put back into service.

'We are committed to ensuring the accuracy of all trade measurement scales across our stores in line with strict regulations and test our checkout scales daily,' a Woolworths spokesperson stated.

‘We strongly encourage this customer to reach out to our customer care team or the store directly in order for us to investigate the items in the transaction and see what has caused the discrepancy.’

For those who find themselves in a similar situation, Woolworths offers a price-scan policy.

If an item scans at a higher price than the ticketed price in-store, a customer is entitled to receive that item for free.

This policy, part of the Supermarket Code of Practice, is designed to protect consumers and ensure pricing transparency.

Coles also offers a similar policy.

This incident comes amid a backdrop of growing discontent among Australian shoppers, with accusations of price gouging and the weight of products like mince not matching the package weight.

In a previous story, two Coles shoppers reported issues with being overcharged and incorrect weighing at self-serve registers.

The errors were only discovered after the customer had checked their receipt. You can read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways
  • A Woolworths shopper has claimed she was overcharged for a single garlic bulb due to the checkout scales registering an incorrect weight.
  • The shopper noticed the discrepancy after weighing the bulb on her kitchen scales at home, resulting in a difference of 0.059 kilograms from what Woolworths' scales indicated.
  • Woolworths asserted that their stores perform weekly in-depth checks and daily testing on all checkout scales to ensure accuracy and comply with strict regulations.
  • Customers who identify pricing errors are encouraged to report them in-store, and Woolworths’ price-scan policy may entitle them to receive the mis-scanned item for free under the Supermarket Code of Practice.
Have you ever encountered a checkout error that left you out of pocket? How did you resolve it? Share your stories and tips with us in the comments below.

• Angry
Reactions: Ingot and BJM
Sponsored
This happened to me at our local Woolies store with loose mushrooms and when I highlighted this to the young lady on self serve she immediately rectified the issue heavily in my favour. I usually weigh my produce in the dept to ensure I'm not exceeding my budget.

Checking scales is not doing anything the scales should be calibrated often

Reactions: Ingot
Meat is the biggest issue for me. I have found that the meat was weighed on top of the foam container surrounded by cling film or in the closed plastic container. The weight of the container is included in the weight of the produce & you are being charge exorbitant price for a piece of foam or a plastic container. I believe this practice is illegal & the container should be placed on the scales & the scales set to zero before the meat (or any other produce) is placed on the scales.

We have never been offered an item for free if it’s priced wrong. When asked for the discounted price or free (because it’s their error) the staff just laugh at us.

• Wow
We have never been offered an item for free if it’s priced wrong. When asked for the discounted price or free (because it’s their error) the staff just laugh at us.
I have never been laughed at for pointing out an error in checkout price to shelf price. However, I never tell the checkout operator about this error. Always, & I mean always, take the item along with the docket to the Customer Service desk where you will receive a full refund after they have checked the price on the shelf. I do this often at my local WW & have always been given a refund with no questions asked.

Meat is the biggest issue for me. I have found that the meat was weighed on top of the foam container surrounded by cling film or in the closed plastic container. The weight of the container is included in the weight of the produce & you are being charge exorbitant price for a piece of foam or a plastic container. I believe this practice is illegal & the container should be placed on the scales & the scales set to zero before the meat (or any other produce) is placed on the scales.
Ahhh that old trick...in the restaurant business I noted that the deliveries were being made in a plastic container (we would go through at least 10 tons of meat a week). I stopped them one day and found they they were including the weight of the bin. Over the year at the current price of beef, they were ripping me off thousands of $$$.

Absolutely.
A piece of foam + cling-wrap + absorbent pad underneath + price tag and data tag can weigh enough to cost you (and everyone else) between 5% and 10% more.
Using meat at $42/kg that can add up to $2.10 to $4.20 MORE than you are getting (unless you like buying this kind of waste!)

Last edited:
Ahhh that old trick...in the restaurant business I noted that the deliveries were being made in a plastic container (we would go through at least 10 tons of meat a week). I stopped them one day and found they they were including the weight of the bin. Over the year at the current price of beef, they were ripping me off thousands of $$$.
I hope you cancelled the business and found an alternate supplier.

They know very well what they are doing - they deal in weights and measures.

Reactions: IAN3005
I hope you cancelled the business and found an alternate supplier.

They know very well what they are doing - they deal in weights and measures.
Yes.... they were around with cases of whiskey and another peace offering..... all they got was the finger.

Here's something that happened to us at Coles yesterday.
I placed some grapes on the scales with the barcode facing away from me.
The weight came up, and the price calculator "beeped" as the auto barcode reader scanned the item.
Before I could even move the grapes into the shopping bag, the scanner beeped again!

I must have been watched, bc the checkout police came straight over and asked what's happening.
She quickly reversed the "sale" and apologised kindly.

Had I not been alert, I'd have continued ringing up the rest of the groceries, oblivious to the double charge.
Pay attention to what's going on.

Thanks too, for the alert on the ginger and mushrooms weights and measures.

Yes.... they were around with cases of whiskey and another peace offering..... all they got was the finger.
At the very least they could have - and should have - recalculated your orders going back 12 months and refunded the excess, and then started discussing the whiskey plus a few freebies
:D

Reactions: IAN3005
I have never been laughed at for pointing out an error in checkout price to shelf price. However, I never tell the checkout operator about this error. Always, & I mean always, take the item along with the docket to the Customer Service desk where you will receive a full refund after they have checked the price on the shelf. I do this often at my local WW & have always been given a refund with no questions asked.
Had this happen with a purchase too.
Bought some powder-free gloves.
Price was "Two for one" $5.
Checked behind the ticket. It said "Price per each $5.00."
Thought - "I really don't need 2 boxes of gloves, but took them anyway at the special price.

Fast forward to the checkout: Price per box $16.00!!!
Whoa! I REALLY didn't need 2 boxes now!!

Checkout Police alerted to the crime!
Sent someone to check - came back saying "Yes, the customer is correct. The ticket does say Two for One $5.00."

Long story short - someone placed the incorrect ticket in front of this item.
There was a row of items side-by-side - all marked down.
Except this one should not have been discounted - wrong barcode.
Went home with no gloves at all.
Staff were very nice about it and tried to find a suitable replacement for me, but I needed latex-free/powder-free, and not vinyl.
:confused:

At the very least they could have - and should have - recalculated your orders going back 12 months and refunded the excess, and then started discussing the whiskey plus a few freebies
:D
In my books.... too late...they did their dash....

If you tell them at the checkout they can just reprice it and you pay, at the service desk it is a refund