Woolworths brings tears of joy with return of tearless onions, except for one state!

Cooking can be an emotional experience, especially when it involves chopping onions. The tears, the stinging eyes, and the frequent breaks to regain composure are all too familiar to many home chefs.

However, what if there was a way to eliminate the waterworks from your culinary routine?

Enter this game-changer in the kitchen, which is making a much-anticipated comeback to Woolworths shelves across Australia—except, unfortunately, for one state.

After a successful trial last year, Woolworths is bringing back the innovative Happy Chop Tearless Onions to the delight of customers in New South Wales, Victoria, Queensland, the Northern Territory, South Australia, and Tasmania.

These states will once again have the chance to experience tear-free meal prep, as the Happy Chop Tearless Onions are set to return in May.

image (21).png
Woolworths reintroduced Happy Chop Tearless Onions after a successful trial last year. Credits: Woolworths

The decision follows the supermarket chain's ‘successful’ trial last year, during which tearless onions were introduced to stores in New South Wales and Victoria in July and remained available until supplies were depleted.

These tearless onions are precisely what their name suggests: onions that are less likely to induce tears when cut.

‘During the trial, lots of customers tried out the unique range and shared their experiences with us. For people who typically shed a tear or two when cutting onions, it's really been a game changer for meal prep,’ Paul Turner, the General Manager of Fruits and Vegetables at Woolworths shared.

‘As onion season gets into full swing during autumn, Happy Chop Tearless Onions are one of a number of onion varieties we will have on offer in our stores, giving our customers a wide range of fresh produce to choose from.’

‘With a little bit of a sweeter taste, they can be enjoyed raw in a salad or cooked in a casserole or soup,’ he added.

So, how do these miraculous onions prevent the waterworks?

The secret lies in their reduced levels of ‘volatile compounds’, which are typically released when an onion is cut as their defence mechanism, leading to the familiar stinging sensation in the eyes.

Happy Chop Tearless Onions have been specially cultivated to contain fewer of these compounds, and what's more, they continue to diminish over time after harvesting.

This is in stark contrast to regular onions, which often see an increase in these compounds post-harvest.

For those eager to get their hands on these tearless wonders, Woolworths will be stocking them in 500-gram packets at a recommended retail price of $2.50.

They'll be available from May until October or while supplies last, so mark your calendars and stock up while you can.

However, there's a catch. One Australian state won't be seeing these onions on their local Woolworths shelves.

While it was not specified which state would miss out, this is a reminder that not all innovations reach every corner of the country at the same time.

It's a curious omission that may leave residents of the unnamed state longing for a tear-free onion experience.

The return of tearless onions at Woolworths has been eagerly awaited by many home cooks who appreciate their convenience and reduced tears during preparation.

These tearless onions are a perfect addition to recipes like the classic beef and onion stir-fry, a beloved dish that never goes out of style.

With Woolworths bringing back tearless onions, it's the perfect time to whip up this delicious and easy-to-make stir-fry recipe, courtesy of our very own @Babybird.
Key Takeaways
  • Woolworths announced the return of Happy Chop Tearless Onions to its stores after a successful trial last year.
  • Tearless onions will be available in additional states beyond New South Wales and Victoria, including Queensland, the Northern Territory, South Australia and Tasmania.
  • These onions are less likely to make consumers cry when cutting them due to their lower levels of volatile compounds.
  • Happy Chop Tearless Onions will be sold in 500-gram packets and will be available from May until October or while stocks last.
Have you tried these tearless onions before? Will you be giving them a go this season? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
The only state to miss out is WA which is where I live but to be honest I deal with the tears when I do encounter those onions. I prefer to spend my money on something else besides tearless onions...
I always expect it to be Tasmania that misses out but I’ll cope especially as my husband is chief onion chopper. WA & Tassie are often in the same exclusion boat but at least you guys don’t get left off the map. 😇

I always expect it to be Tasmania that misses out but I’ll cope especially as my husband is chief onion chopper. WA & Tassie are often in the same exclusion boat but at least you guys don’t get left off the map. 😇
Tasmania is a beautiful island state. Only been there twice, but would love to go back again one day.

What a strange article!

Firstly, to state that a dead onion "uses" syn-propanethial-S-oxide as a defence mechanism (the substance that makes you cry). Why would an organism want to defend itself when it is already dead?

Secondly, the states are mentioned where the Happy Chop Tearless Onions are sold. By a simple case of elimination, it is obvious that Western Australia is the state so why is it not mentioned? So why is the following statement even published?
However, there's a catch. One Australian state won't be seeing these onions on their local Woolworths shelves.

While it was not specified which state would miss out, this is a reminder that not all innovations reach every corner of the country at the same time.

It's a curious omission that may leave residents of the unnamed state longing for a tear-free onion experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: DLHM and Littleboy8