Woolworths’ new security measure sparks debate online – is it an invasion of privacy?

You’ve probably heard the news or seen it on social media yourself – people getting pushy, and worse, aggressive, towards retail staff.

Supermarket giant Woolworths took matters into its own hands to protect its team members. Last year, Woolworths trialled body cameras in select stores. And while the new security measure was done in a bid to prevent assault and abuse of staff, it also divided customers and sparked a bit of backlash online.

Workers in the retail industry have long suffered from unfair levels of abuse and mistreatment, which is why Woolworths took measures to protect its employees from harm. Numerous reports of assault, including verbal, physical, and sexual, were brought to the attention of executives at the supermarket giant.

Woolworths Director of Stores Rob Moffat told reporters: ‘Nobody deserves to be abused at work, so it’s important we look at new measures to help keep our team members safe.’

woolies.jpg
Staff now wear body cameras while on shift. Credit: Woolworths Group AU

He added that the new body camera system is already widely used in retail across the US and the UK, and was found effective in reducing the rate of reported incidents.

‘The cameras will only be turned on as a last resort if a supervisor is concerned about a threat to team safety,’ Mr Moffat continued.

For added security measures, the captured footage will only be made available to the supermarket’s legal teams and to the police, when appropriate and for the sake of the other party’s privacy as well.

Well, these ‘team safety’ cameras were spotted by a shopper at their local store and posted to TikTok.

‘Woolies employees are now using body cams,’ they said in the video.

woolies2.jpg
Many were in favour of this change, but others weren’t as keen. Credit: aussiehumour1/Pexels

Many social media users praised Woolies’ decision to take swift action against abusers. ‘Great idea, keep the staff safe,’ shared one.

‘That’s smart in a way,’ added another.

Someone else commented that the abuse put on employees every day is ‘horrendous’.

‘Enough is enough!’ They continued.

Others expressed disappointment over the fact that Woolies had to take extreme measures because staff had suffered so much in the past.

‘Isn’t it sad that this is what it’s come to for service staff?’ said one.

‘The way some customers treat them, I’m not surprised,’ a second added.

A retail worker chimed in: ‘Wish I had one. Customers will literally try to have a smackdown over the smallest thing.’

Another recalled their experience when they worked at Woolworths. ‘Minimum once a week, someone would threaten to kill me,’ they shared.

Someone else said that while she was working during one Christmas rush, her register broke down. This prompted the customer she was serving to ‘spit on her’. ‘The camera just missed the culprit’s face. She got away with it,’ she said.

However, some viewers called this security measure an ‘invasion of privacy’.

‘Why are they filming me when I’m shopping?’ One asked.

‘What’s next? Tasers?’ Another added.
Key Takeaways

• Woolworths implemented a security measure last year to protect staff from abuse and assault by using body cameras in some of its stores.
  • Customers reacted in various ways such as praising the initiative, while others claimed it was an invasion of privacy and expressed sadness that such a measure was necessary.
  • Retail employees have deemed the initiative fair, and have shared their own stories of abuse while at work.
  • The footage recorded will be stored on Australian servers, and only be available to the store’s legal team and the authorities, when appropriate.
What can you say about this security measure, members? Have you spotted staff at your local store wearing these? Let us know your thoughts below!

Sponsored
You’ve probably heard the news or seen it on social media yourself – people getting pushy, and worse, aggressive, towards retail staff.

Supermarket giant Woolworths took matters into its own hands to protect its team members. Last year, Woolworths trialled body cameras in select stores. And while the new security measure was done in a bid to prevent assault and abuse of staff, it also divided customers and sparked a bit of backlash online.

Workers in the retail industry have long suffered from unfair levels of abuse and mistreatment, which is why Woolworths took measures to protect its employees from harm. Numerous reports of assault, including verbal, physical, and sexual, were brought to the attention of executives at the supermarket giant.

Woolworths Director of Stores Rob Moffat told reporters: ‘Nobody deserves to be abused at work, so it’s important we look at new measures to help keep our team members safe.’

View attachment 10512

He added that the new body camera system is already widely used in retail across the US and the UK, and was found effective in reducing the rate of reported incidents.

‘The cameras will only be turned on as a last resort if a supervisor is concerned about a threat to team safety,’ Mr Moffat continued.

For added security measures, the captured footage will only be made available to the supermarket’s legal teams and to the police, when appropriate and for the sake of the other party’s privacy as well.

Well, these ‘team safety’ cameras were spotted by a shopper at their local store and posted to TikTok.

View attachment 10513
Many were in favour of this change, but others weren’t as keen. Credit: aussiehumour1/Pexels

Many social media users praised Woolies’ decision to take swift action against abusers. ‘Great idea, keep the staff safe,’ shared one.

Someone else commented that the abuse put on employees every day is ‘horrendous’.

Others expressed disappointment over the fact that Woolies had to take extreme measures because staff had suffered so much in the past.

A retail worker chimed in: ‘Wish I had one. Customers will literally try to have a smackdown over the smallest thing.’

Another recalled their experience when they worked at Woolworths. ‘Minimum once a week, someone would threaten to kill me,’ they shared.

Someone else said that while she was working during one Christmas rush, her register broke down. This prompted the customer she was serving to ‘spit on her’. ‘The camera just missed the culprit’s face. She got away with it,’ she said.

Key Takeaways

• Woolworths implemented a security measure last year to protect staff from abuse and assault by using body cameras in some of its stores.
  • Customers reacted in various ways such as praising the initiative, while others claimed it was an invasion of privacy and expressed sadness that such a measure was necessary.
  • Retail employees have deemed the initiative fair, and have shared their own stories of abuse while at work.
  • The footage recorded will be stored on Australian servers, and only be available to the store’s legal team and the authorities, when appropriate.
What can you say about this security measure, members? Have you spotted staff at your local store wearing these? Let us know your thoughts below!

I’m all for this. I have seen - and heard - some horrendous instances of abuse towards retail staff. I have no problem at all with them wearing body cameras. And as WW has also put in reasonable protection measures about viewing any footage there seems to be no reason for worrying about shoppers’ privacy. As far as I’m concerned, those against such measures are more than likely the ones whose behaviour has forced WW hand.

View attachment 10512

View attachment 10513

Key Takeaways

Store bodycams without specific permission is going too far.

View attachment 10512

View attachment 10513

Key Takeaways

Sad it has come to this but staff need to be safe. We go on about privacy...it's a digital world everyone! Frankly, if you have nothing to hide, then why worry about privacy...no such thing anymore.....

View attachment 10512

View attachment 10513

Key Takeaways

How sad that the staff have to put up with abuse, threats etc. I think it’s a very good idea to have these cameras available as back up. We’ll done Woollies!

View attachment 10512

View attachment 10513

Key Takeaways

I think it is a great idea. Enough is enough. They are doing us a favour, (yes I know they get paid but not enough for violence) so should be safe. Just Jill

View attachment 10512

View attachment 10513

Key Takeaways

View attachment 10512

View attachment 10513

Key Takeaways

So many horrid persons around that I think it’s a good idea. I don’t pick my nose or put cold stuff amongst the biscuits so they can photo me as much as they like. I take a bad photo anyway.

View attachment 10512

View attachment 10513

Key Takeaways

I think this is a great idea if they are used properly. As someone who worked in customer service for many years I know how much abuse that customer service workers cop. What's even worse we were told by our employers that we had to accept it or find another job. I'm not sure how they will be used to stop abuse. I would live to see a name and shame video of abusers in stores. Maybe if they saw themselves through a camera it would wake them up to their rude behaviour.

View attachment 10512

View attachment 10513

Key Takeaways

I may not like the profiteering the big supermarkets get away with but abuse of staff is a definite no no... No matter where one works so I agree with with the camera idea and not just for Woolworths.

View attachment 10512

View attachment 10513

Key Takeaways

Good on Woolworths! It’s time these service companies took these measures, albeit extreme, in an attempt to counter unwanted and often unnecessary abuse from customers. Those customers should be held to account for their misbehaviour in whatever form. For far too long, a few customers have acted in this way, treating staff as their ‘servants’, and assuming they will get away with it. I know, if I was a Woolies employee, especially for check out ‘chicks ‘ (as we used to call them!), I’d feel a whole lot safer! More companies should get on board, and embrace technology for the protection, safety, and peace of mind for their employees.

I’m like millions of other customers and give respect to these workers. Unfortunately, there have been a couple of workers that did not return the favour. I have also seen more customers throw abuses to the workers and other customers lately. The best one I saw was a customer ( or prospective thief) put a more expensive fruit through the self checkout and selected the cheapest verity. When the worker noticed and quizzed her, she let out a heap of expletives, emptied her already packed groceries onto the floor and stormed out.

Reactions: Elbe and Ian1

View attachment 10512

View attachment 10513

Key Takeaways

it is unfortunate that woolies has to take this step but this is what society has become where some of us
think it is ok to abuse and attack for no reason at all. woolies is doing the right thing except they should have them turned on all the time because by the time some decides it should be turned on it has already happened Glenn

View attachment 10512

View attachment 10513

Key Takeaways

While I agree that no one should have to put up with abuse, whether that be at work or anywhere else for that matter, I think that Woolies also have to think a bit about how they treat staff. Staff are subjected to split shifts - this is so they can be classed as casual workers instead of full-time staff - as well as abuse from management and senior staff members. I have spoken to many staff members who have expressed their anger at the way they are, or were, treated by the large supermarket chains.
These new cameras may go some way to exposing this internal abuse as well as that shown by frustrated shoppers...

Reactions: Jennylolo

View attachment 10512

View attachment 10513

Key Takeaways

I think ALL shop workers should be wearing body cameras, not just woollies workers. I think if a person is violent towards a shop worker that person should be banned from entering that shop for a certain time as a punishment.

View attachment 10512

View attachment 10513

Key Takeaways