Woolies shopper left confused after receiving lettuce delivery: 'Am I being punked?'

Even though there’s much to dislike about the modern world (technology being a bit of a double-edged sword, if you ask us), we here at the SDC are still grateful for a lot of our ‘mod cons’, one of which is the rise of online grocery shopping.

Not only is it very convenient, but it saves us a lot of time and money as well – especially on petrol, which is sky-high these days.

There's no need to leave the house; just go online whenever you like, browse the supermarket's selection, and choose a delivery time that works for you. It's that easy!

However, we also have to admit that this convenience does sometimes come with a cost. Depending on the service, there may be additional service and shipping costs that can take a chunk out of your weekly savings.

But aside from the literal cost online shopping comes with, another big problem for people who buy groceries online is that they don't know how good or fresh the fruit and veg will be.

There’s no opportunity to inspect the items before purchase, unlike when we carefully scrutinize produce ourselves while roaming the aisles. There's a chance the actual quality could fall short of your expectations when it finally arrives at your door.

WTaCgkFwIhpk_o4SHqOi9SQib9oThZxvpf5SrH-xFVnbb0Jb5TcR-T62mJTPu38anObwFzmMbAN688pblkyW5U0pCMjC-x3vffHup0NRPEQjTI5IABcpZ6SjyeCAH62QcqOp88xVQKZyeb2hGLLVHho

The Woolies customer received this 'sprig of lettuce' in a recent online order. Credit: Facebook.

Sadly, that was the experience of one Woolies customer who, upon closer inspection of a veggie she had ordered online, was left speechless and confused.

The shopper said that when she received the Green Oakleaf Lettuce she had paid $3.90 for in her most recent Click & Collect order, she was shocked by its unfairly small size.

'Ummmm ... am I being punked? $3.90 for a sprig of lettuce,' she said as she held palm-sized leaves in her hand.

'Why would you even buy this from the farmer and put it on the shelf? This is literally how the two came in my click and collect. Refund, please.'

After the issue was brought to light, a Woolworths representative came forward and apologised to the woman for what happened, admitting that the grocery store had made a mistake with her online order.

'We have a dedicated team of personal shoppers who work hard to handpick thousands of online orders to the highest standard every day,' the spokesperson told a news source.

'While our teams work hard to provide a great experience every time, we don't always get it right. We have reached out to the customer to offer a full refund.'

Members, if you have anything similar happen to you, we definitely recommend you get in touch with the customer service department of your local supermarket as soon as possible to request a replacement or a refund.

In accordance with Woolworths' Fresh or Free Guarantee, you can get a refund and a replacement for any fresh food you purchase in-person or online if you're not satisfied.

We wish you the best in your shopping, whether in-store or online!

Sponsored
Even though there’s much to dislike about the modern world (technology being a bit of a double-edged sword, if you ask us), we here at the SDC are still grateful for a lot of our ‘mod cons’, one of which is the rise of online grocery shopping.

Not only is it very convenient, but it saves us a lot of time and money as well – especially on petrol, which is sky-high these days.

There's no need to leave the house; just go online whenever you like, browse the supermarket's selection, and choose a delivery time that works for you. It's that easy!

However, we also have to admit that this convenience does sometimes come with a cost. Depending on the service, there may be additional service and shipping costs that can take a chunk out of your weekly savings.

But aside from the literal cost online shopping comes with, another big problem for people who buy groceries online is that they don't know how good or fresh the fruit and veg will be.

There’s no opportunity to inspect the items before purchase, unlike when we carefully scrutinize produce ourselves while roaming the aisles. There's a chance the actual quality could fall short of your expectations when it finally arrives at your door.

WTaCgkFwIhpk_o4SHqOi9SQib9oThZxvpf5SrH-xFVnbb0Jb5TcR-T62mJTPu38anObwFzmMbAN688pblkyW5U0pCMjC-x3vffHup0NRPEQjTI5IABcpZ6SjyeCAH62QcqOp88xVQKZyeb2hGLLVHho

The Woolies customer received this 'sprig of lettuce' in a recent online order. Credit: Facebook.

Sadly, that was the experience of one Woolies customer who, upon closer inspection of a veggie she had ordered online, was left speechless and confused.

The shopper said that when she received the Green Oakleaf Lettuce she had paid $3.90 for in her most recent Click & Collect order, she was shocked by its unfairly small size.

'Ummmm ... am I being punked? $3.90 for a sprig of lettuce,' she said as she held palm-sized leaves in her hand.

'Why would you even buy this from the farmer and put it on the shelf? This is literally how the two came in my click and collect. Refund, please.'

After the issue was brought to light, a Woolworths representative came forward and apologised to the woman for what happened, admitting that the grocery store had made a mistake with her online order.

'We have a dedicated team of personal shoppers who work hard to handpick thousands of online orders to the highest standard every day,' the spokesperson told a news source.

'While our teams work hard to provide a great experience every time, we don't always get it right. We have reached out to the customer to offer a full refund.'

Members, if you have anything similar happen to you, we definitely recommend you get in touch with the customer service department of your local supermarket as soon as possible to request a replacement or a refund.

In accordance with Woolworths' Fresh or Free Guarantee, you can get a refund and a replacement for any fresh food you purchase in-person or online if you're not satisfied.

Ok but also getting past due date or even dates with 1 day left …applied for refund and got it no questions asked !

Are online grocery shoppers aware that there is an annual fee if you choose? Free delivery on all products, free bags, and also a better choice of delivery times. It will save many dollars on these yearly costs. This is available on Woolworths - not sure about Coles. I have the refunds in my bank account often before the groceries are delivered.

I shop online each week and always get free delivery as my order is always over $200 , if I receive something that is not fresh I always get a refund no problem so far but have to say it can sometimes be inconvenient eg yesterday I received my order I was going to make sausages n onions on rolls as a quick Friday dinner , the bread rolls were baked 3 days ago and hard , I had to choose a late delivery as these rolls are not available in the morning as the are baked in the morning, so figure that one out 🤔

Maybe they thought her pet rabbit needed a corsage for its formal.

I ordered and received a half cauliflower as I fancied cauliflower cheese for my dinner. When it came it was small enough to fit nicely in the palm of my hand, boy was I disappointed but I went online, got an instant refund and had a cauli/cheese starter instead! When life gives you lemons, make lemonade!!:)

As far as refunds go, Woolies are very agreeable, and process refunds promptly, apologetically, and without question. When I raise the subject of unacceptable use-by dates (one or two days left to consume the product like quantities of milk), they have been quite willing to refund the value of ALL of those products ordered, even if out of say, six of a particular product ordered, maybe a couple were actually the basis of my complaint. That is, they refunded ALL SIX! Very happy with this response from Woolies Online! Needless to say, feedback went to the supplying store, and eventually they got it right, and it didn’t happen again.

Reactions: 68autobug and Ricci
I order from Woolies once a week and get the goods delivered to my car boot. It takes a bit of planning, but in my book that's a good discipline. I know the cost before I place the order and it also prevents me making 'impulse' buys. Usually everything is as ordered and delivered promptly. Sometimes an item is out of stock and they substitute a similar product, that is at least as good value as what I ordered. Very occasionally they get an item wrong but as soon as I point out the mistake they refund the cost without any hassle.

I ordered and received a half cauliflower as I fancied cauliflower cheese for my dinner. When it came it was small enough to fit nicely in the palm of my hand, boy was I disappointed but I went online, got an instant refund and had a cauli/cheese starter instead! When life gives you lemons, make lemonade!!:)
That happened to me with a cabbage. I was going to make stuff cabbage leaves ended up making cabbage salad. Love the phrase you added !! And we really do need to make more lemonade I think

Reactions: Ricci
I got a refund this week straight online to say I was dissatisfied with the brown salad I received

Reactions: Ricci